Im almost sure this has topic has already been rinsed but i cant seem to find a post on it here. I know most of you love to jump on the bandwagon and slate line6 but can you realy turn your noses up at their tube amps? I played one today and was blew away by it. Its everything i need in an amp and for the money i dont belive i can get much better, pluss im lazy and cant be arsed with loads of fx pedals etc. Do you think the 112 will be loud enough to cut through nicely in a full band?
Had one. Even with a decent 412 it struggled to cut through IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I didn't think they were bad amps, but I also wasn't blown away by them.

It is a pretty good amp for getting into tube amps, and for some people will be quite good. The addition of effects is a plus if you don't want to have a lot of pedals.

How many watts were you looking at for the amp?
I actually like the SV MkII quite a bit, but you've got to be willing to take the time to learn how it works. There are a LOT more 'widgets' than on a more conventional tube amp.

Also, I found that the FBV shortboard MKII is pretty much a requirement to make the most of it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yea id be investing in the shortboard as soon as i could afford. Im looking at a 40watt amp... It actualy seemed very loud in the shop and it was turned down low. Techs their recon it will cut through fine, but id rarther talk to people who dont get paid to sell things haha. It will be my first tube amp, ive played a couple of the cheaper end marshall tubes and honestly thought the spider sounds better. Way more versatile aswell (obviously)
Have you played a Peavey Vypyr Tube? I was not impressed at all by the Spider Valve considering how much it costs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by RichieCrozier
Yea id be investing in the shortboard as soon as i could afford. Im looking at a 40watt amp... It actualy seemed very loud in the shop and it was turned down low. Techs their recon it will cut through fine, but id rarther talk to people who dont get paid to sell things haha. It will be my first tube amp, ive played a couple of the cheaper end marshall tubes and honestly thought the spider sounds better. Way more versatile aswell (obviously)

Unless you're playing arenas, the 40w SV II is PLENTY loud.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i think you can get them used for under 500 now.

that seems like a good bargain.

it's basically a pod hd into a tube power amp.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Ive looked at the peavy aswell, the amp sounds great dont get me wrong, but for some reason its not making me wanna buy it. I prefere the looks and layout of the spider, it just felt right when i played it today.
It's all up to you in the end man
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by AcousticMirror
i think you can get them used for under 500 now.

that seems like a good bargain.

it's basically a pod hd into a tube power amp.

No man, it's a Pod 2.0, not a HD

The SVs are pretty good amps to start moving from practice amps to tube amps, while still maintaining some semblance of modelling versatility.

They are pretty decent for home practice, and sound plently good for it too. However, like all modelers, don't expect a magical all in one amp. It sounds pretty good on it's own, but don't expect it to give you a truly authentic Marshall, Vox, Fender, Mesa and every other brand on the cheaps.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
a local bar i frequent has one and that's what a lot of the bands play through. Unfortunately, a lot of those are generic Deathcore bands that EQ it badly so i can't comment on it cutting through. It can produce a wall of sound though.
If you have access to a PA and can find some acceptable way to amp it up during practice, a Pod HD has better amp emulation than a SV.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
thanks for the help people! I kinda got put off the lines 6 idea and have been playing a few other amps and just keep getting disapointed. I waited for my shop to get the blackstar ht 60 soloist in and played that yesterday. Ive heard nothing but great stuff about these amps but to me it just wasnt near heavy enough and the clean tone didnt sparkle like id have hoped. Would a metal footpedal do the job? Bassicly i want somthing versatile, nice clean tones all the way to proper metal tones. I can spend up to like 700 (at a push). It has to be a combo aswell. What would you go for?
What do you mean by proper metal? Can you list some bands so we can understand what kind of tones you need?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yea sorry, killswitch, bullet, new metallica stuff. Anything close to them, i understand im not going to get super close on my buget. Advice on amp/effects cobinations would be good also. Im tempted to go for the spider valve again as its everything i need in one amp, nice and versitile and easy to use. Im just a bit worried that i could get a better tone for the money with a proper valve amp.
Check out Peavey: 6505+, JSX, XXX. They all come in combo form, and are all well within your budget.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^agree, the 6505+ combo will slay a SV any day of the week, and i'm not a fan of either amps, but I really dug that 6505+ combo. SV's just cost way too much money for the tone you get out of them. At that price point (like 800 for the 40w combo wasn't it?) you can get used Mesa Rectifier heads all day long for like 900.
Quote by Chad11491
SV's just cost way too much money for the tone you get out of them. At that price point (like 800 for the 40w combo wasn't it?) you can get used Mesa Rectifier heads all day long for like 900.

That's just a really biased judgement.

How can you compare a new amp to an old amp, and then say the new amp is too expensive. You might as well say a Roland JC120 is a terrible amp, because its high gain is pathetic compared to a Dual Rect.

Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 6, 2011,
2nd hand Tremo-verb?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Had one. Even with a decent 412 it struggled to cut through IMO

Played bass at a backyard gig this weekend and the guitarist used one. Not terrible tone, but the not cutting through was a big +1.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yeah I mean I enjoyed the majority of tones from it, it is a great bedroom amp. But that is the issue, on its own its perfect for practice. In a band, it just lacks that presence.

Though the SV MKII is supposed to have addressed this issue with a proper Valve Preamp.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
A friend of mine also has one and when matched up against a Mesa 5:50 Express, it doesn't quite cut it either. He winds up using the bassist's Blackstar HT-40.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I love my spider valve. When I went into the store to try out amps believe me, I was there quite awhile. I tried the Peaveys out, the VOX and everything in between the price range and nothing compared to the valve. GO in and try it out and see for yourself. It sounds great, nothing like the full SS crocks of crud.

It can easily be used in band situation too.. I haven't done a gig or anything but I bring it to jam with several drummers and other guitarist and it blends into the sound perfectly.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Last edited by DeadlyDevil1985 at Sep 6, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
Check out Peavey: 6505+, JSX, XXX. They all come in combo form, and are all well within your budget.

ah thanks dude, i really like the look of the 6505. Couple of questions if you dont mind. Is the 112 gonna be loud enough to gig with? How come the 212 is so much more expensive? (about £700 more). will their be any tone differance in the two?
I once used a Peavey ultra tube something-or-other 1x12 combo, I think it was 50 or 60 W (all tube). Loud a hell. 112 6505 should be fine, IMO.
cheers man, **** it. Ordering one now. Never even heard one in the flesh but ive read enough good stuff about them now!
Quote by RichieCrozier
ah thanks dude, i really like the look of the 6505. Couple of questions if you dont mind. Is the 112 gonna be loud enough to gig with? How come the 212 is so much more expensive? (about £700 more). will their be any tone differance in the two?

The main difference is that the 6505 212 uses a real 6505 circuit and components, while the 6505+ 112 is rather inferior, and is made in China rather than America. They're also slightly different amps, the 6505+ 112 has separate EQ's, and the tonality is slightly different (more compressed, not as "kick you in the nuts brutal") I guess it's a good amp for what it costs used, but I'm really not a fan of the 112 combo at all.

It's loud enough to gig with. If you have mixing/cutting issues, just hook it up to an extension cab and there should be no issues.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ive still not bought one yet. I keep hearing mixed reviews on just about everything i get interested in, in my price range i dont think im going to find an amp everyone can agree on. Im not arsed about having ground breaking amazing tone, but i do want that "real" sound. Ive never had a tube amp, i have been using a spider 2 for the last few years and to be honest that sounded ok to me.

Are people just being tone snobs when it comes to the 6505 112? Or is it really not up to much? Christ im sick of looking now. It would be much easier if their was a decent guitar shop near me.
what about the blackstar ht soloist 60? I played a smaller version of one and wasnt impressed. Again ive heard good and bad things about this amp. Sorry for all the questions, i just wanna make the right choice! I dont mind spending a little more if i get somthing thats gonna do the job and last.
I would definitely not get a Blackstar anything for what you want to play. They're recommended all day long here because it's kind of the current fad. But they definitely don't have the kind of tonality you're looking for. Although they probably would be good for Metallica.

As for the 6505... I tried out the 212 and the 112 in person when I was deciding between them myself, and the 212 just sounded way more "real" to me, which is why I got it, instead of the 112. (The 5150 is the exact same amp as the 6505, in case you didn't know). They cost almost exactly the same used, so it was kind of an easy choice.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hey guys, I'm quite new and not from a native speaker, so please forgive me if I make any mistakes. I'm a guitarist and I wanted to get a tube amp. Since I already have a Line6 Spider and I think it does its job very well I wanted to stay with Line6. Would you guys recommend this Valve MKII. I don't want to play in a band or something like that, I just want to play at home with a tube amp, because I was really surprised which mega difference a tube amp has to a non-tube. It really scared me, when I first tried out a tube in my local music shop D
So what I read already this amp has its pros and cons. But for home-only usage, recommandable?
Im going to get the amp on a buy now pay in twelve months finnance option so unfortunatly i cant ebay! Im not great at saving up and i need an amp asap . Ah the joys of being a skint guitarist. Might just settle for the 112. Surely its gonna sound amazing compared to the spider 2 i was using....

oh and juu metal... look at the peavey vyper (like i was recommended) cheaper and nicer sounding than the spider, but to answer your question, the spider valve will be great for bedroom use.
I have a SV HD100 MK1 and it is a nice amp, but it doesn't cut through the mix well. I have owned many Line 6 products and they all have been this way.
The 6505+ combo is pretty crappy IMO it sound nothing like a 5150, and they seem to have some bugs that have to be addressed.

Look into something like a JSX combo or the likes you will be much happier in the end.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't like the Peavey Vypyr, idk sth keeps to be not that great IMO ^^
So for bedroom, line6 sv is (good) enough?
The Peavey Vypyr Tube sounds a lot better than the Spider Valve (firsthand experience). But, like TS said however long ago, the SV is a LOT nicer to look at, haha. And more common. The PVT is pretty rare for some reason.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X