I'm looking at smaller (size and power) amps for my dorm room, seeing as my Peavey 212 is a little bulky and could have better dynamic response.

1- Does the Blackstar HT-5 combo come with an fx loop? I've been unable to locate a picture of the combo's fx loop. I see them on the HT-5 heads though.

1A- I found a used HT-5 Head and "fullstack" (2x 110s) for $450 locally. If I can get just one cab, what should I talk them down to?

2- What's the "voicing" of the Jet City JCA20? As in "American" vs "British", or is it pretty neutral?

If I think of more, I'll drop them here. Like I said, these are really random, so whatever help you can give would be appreciated.

Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
I believe the combo has the features of head version, so it should have the loop if memory serves.

1A. Not likely, in most cases stores sell these things as a whole. There's no guarantee that theft can sell the one cab if they give you a half-stack. Even if they do, the savings you'll will be so relatively low, that you might as well get the full-stack to begin with.

2. Jet Cities are based on Soldanos, which are based on hot-fodder Marshalls. Essentially it'll be slanting towards a Brit voicing, but not so strongly as the multiple mods have taken it further and further from the Marshall tone. That said a Jet City isn't gonna sound neither Marshally nor Fendery, so YMMV.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Also, my amp no longer functions properly...

I also remembered a Neil Fallon interview where he says he writes and plays most of his stuff at home on a SS fender amp with a Fulltone OCD. Seeing as how up until my amp went wonky I rather liked the way it sounded, would it be unreasonable to expect decent/good sounds from a similar setup?

I know I could find a cheapish SS amp at the local GC or on CL for the cheap and get something like an OCD or Nobels ODR-1 for distortion. Basically SS cleans with a dynamic pedal for distortion.

Clearly this won't have a very "tubey" sound, I just need decent response to dynamics, which the OCD seems to have. IME, SS amps have more potential for lower volume than tube amps anyway, which would be helpful in my dorm. Giggable volumes would be nice, but not necessary. No more than 20-30 people MAX.

:P This is beginning to sound like a new amp thread, haha.

Thoughts?
Quote by Quinlan
Also, my amp no longer functions properly...

I also remembered a Neil Fallon interview where he says he writes and plays most of his stuff at home on a SS fender amp with a Fulltone OCD. Seeing as how up until my amp went wonky I rather liked the way it sounded, would it be unreasonable to expect decent/good sounds from a similar setup?

I know I could find a cheapish SS amp at the local GC or on CL for the cheap and get something like an OCD or Nobels ODR-1 for distortion. Basically SS cleans with a dynamic pedal for distortion.

Clearly this won't have a very "tubey" sound, I just need decent response to dynamics, which the OCD seems to have. IME, SS amps have more potential for lower volume than tube amps anyway, which would be helpful in my dorm. Giggable volumes would be nice, but not necessary. No more than 20-30 people MAX.

:P This is beginning to sound like a new amp thread, haha.

Thoughts?

Dude, an OCD through a SS doesn't EVEN BEGIN to sound anywhere close to a tube amp.

If your local Venus have PAs, have you considered something like a Pod HD? That sounds way tubeier than an OCD thru a SS amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Like I said (or maybe didn't reinforce), tube tone/emulation isn't exactly something I'll need. I'd keep right on using my Peavey Transtube, if it were working properly. :/

Besides, the Pod HD's that I'm seeing are pretty expensive for something without speakers, and I'd still like to use it in my dorm room.
Brain fart! I could save a lot more money and just convert my screwy 212 combo into a speaker cab. That'd solve the issue of money and number of speakers... How would I go about doing this?

The speakers are 16 ohms and ~80W a piece. I could run either of my tube heads into a converted 212 with an attenuator... and it'd be cheaper than buying a bunch of new shit. I'm surprised I didn't think of this sooner...