Page 1 of 3
Lets just get this out of the way before a stream of "racist, homophobic" and all that other bullshit. I hold no such views. That should be enough. Also this is not a "punker then tho" thread just know that.

Now I have a problem with what the kids call "punk" now days. In the shortest words possible the only way to describe the modern punk is a hippy with different fashion and musical tastes. It seems to be all about "unity" a word that seems to piss me off to no end. What happened to being yourself? If a band has any lyrics that are even a little off the political correctness scale they are branded a hate group and never get to play any local shows ever. Everyone dresses in the same costume of a denim jacket with spikes and patches (or leather). Everything sounds the same. So the question I ask myself and the rest of you

When the hell did our music get prostituted out to become the thing it was created to go against?
"Politically correct" is a right-wing contrivance used to trivialize people that don't approve of bigotry. I've no interest in what those who wield the term have to say (or play).
it's called "hardcore" these days. Rise against and Comeback kid for example. i would call them REAL modern punk
My sig? Nice.
Quote by due 07
"Politically correct" is a right-wing contrivance used to trivialize people that don't approve of bigotry. I've no interest in what those who wield the term have to say (or play).

Wow. You don't have to go all "Bono" on him like that.

Yeah...I just saw Winnebego Man.
If all your songs are like Punk Rock Nation, then I don't see why you'd get black listed--the only lyrics I could make out were the "One two three four" at the end...or did I hear that wrong too?

BTW, Hank III doesn't seem to have any trouble getting gigs. He does a lot more than punk, but the punk he does is some of the best I've heard from a signed artist. At least formerly signed. But they wouldn't put a lot of that on CDs until he left them. F*** Curb. and Bruc.

One Eyed Doll isn't politically correct either. But again, punk is just part of their essence. People also use "metal", "goth", etc. to characterize them.

Is Butt Trumpet punk enough (and politically incorrect enough) for you? Oh yeah, they're like dead now, so not so contemporary anymore, come to think of it.
'K, the first song on your profile is pretty Skrewdriveresque so I'm just gonna leave this one alone.
Quote by due 07

There is truth to this, but you're a jackass, etc.
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by jetwash69
You cast the first stone.

I've earned that privilege by being without sin.
Quote by due 07
Rise Against is no Skrewdriver.

And skrewdrive is no Monkey Wrench, and Monkey Wrench is a song by the Foo Fighters, and Dave Grohl loves you and is an amazing songwriter *sets off rage in Due07*

this thread is silly, who cares what "modern punk" is, usually people who use terms like modern punk think "punk is dead" and died with *insert mediocre late 70's early 80's english or hardcore band* broke up and made the scene into a disintegrated piece of toilet paper, or you know, you think Rise Against is a pioneer and is making a change in mainstream punk today.....so yadadada
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by jetwash69

Is Butt Trumpet punk enough

LOL

Do you know thombone?

Ok well its funny you mention butt trumpet because most of the reason I'm posting this thread is I was banned from "seattlepunk.org a site ran by butt trumpet member thombone. He is the most close minded person I have ever met. Someone made a thread about illegal immigration and I posted I agree with them being deported. I was immediately branded a racist.
Quote by ibugppl
I was immediately branded a racist.

Maybe because you were on a site where most members that disagreed with impinging on freedoms because of some arbitrary lines in the sand.
Oh you poor thing.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'm always confused by right-wing punks. They always feel the need to complain about how punk is nothing but terrible leftist pussies who hate individuality but they still want in on the whole thing. If you hate punk so much why do you want to be one?
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
TS, yeah that is funny about Butt Trumpet.

I guess Punk is about being intentionally offensive, not about being open minded.
Funny how so many punks are left wingers, and yet maybe a similar amount are so far to the right that they actually are white supremacists and stuff.

Doesn't surprise me; after so many people gave up their lives minimizing the threats of Fascism during WWII and Communism during the Cold War, and after the amount of lives both have taken among their own people, I gotta admit it's equally offensive supporting either extreme. BTW, true anarchy isn't any bowl of cherries either--just go take a holiday in Somalia if you're attracted to anarchism, and see if it's really as much fun as it sounds like.

I guess those who tout those extremes in the punk spirit and don't actually believe it are better off than people who actually buy into those ideologies. But we do all still have the right to our opinions in this country, even though we won't if the extremists get their way.

As cool as the music and the attitude can be, it's hard to find good punk heroes among the likes of GG Allin, Sid Vicious, and apparently Thombone. While Jello Biafra hates the left as much as the right, his ideals probably aren't sustainable in the real world.

Celebrities might not the best folks to choose as a moral or political compass because they tend to be driven to do things that get them attention, rather than what would truly best serve the greater community over the long term.

BTW, no I don't know Thombone...I missed those guys/gals when they were active but recently came across them and like the music--especially "I've been so mad lately", which I heard on the radio (of all places). And having 2 bassists in the band is pretty non-conformist, as if driving nails up your nose with a hammer on stage wasn't punk enough.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by jetwash69
For a minute there, due 07, I thought you redeemed yourself with that cool punk "resting" pic.

You have no idea how few fucks I give about your opinion of me.
Quote by jetwash69
Then you go say something extremist like that. Far left = far right

On the contrary, far left =/= far right. Hence the distinction between "left" and "right."
Quote by jetwash69
so don't fool yourself--totalitarianism is all the same.

Totalitarianism is pretty horrible, but it's myopic and childish to say it's "all the same." That's loaded, meaningless language.
Quote by jetwash69
Go visit Somalia and try to live there for a while if you don't believe me--then the lines in the sand might not seem so arbitrary any more.

Wat

Are you implying we have borders so we don't descend into anarcho-capitalist barbarism? You're going to have to elaborate; I don't understand what point you're trying to make.
Quote by jetwash69
Benevolence isn't as admirable when you're being generous with other people's money than it would be if you were only committing your own assets.

What in the actual fuck are you even on about?
Quote by jetwash69
Maybe there are at least two sides to this issue like most things in our existence, and maybe free exchange of ideas can be a good thing--if you aren't too insecure in the logic behind your beliefs to deal functionally with dissenting opinions.

The website administrator didn't want to deal with a user expressing hostile opinions and causing shitstorms on his website. Simple as.
Quote by jetwash69
But that might take more than a two line post to scratch the surface and maybe we don't have the endurance to type that much anymore or read a "wall of text?"

Don't be such a pompous asshat, asshat.
Quote by jetwash69
Given the realities of the human condition

Pompous bullshit incoming.

Quote by axeslash
I'm always confused by right-wing punks. They always feel the need to complain about how punk is nothing but terrible leftist pussies who hate individuality but they still want in on the whole thing. If you hate punk so much why do you want to be one?

If anything, op should join a hair band, to relive those Reagan glory days.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
OK, so you're right about one thing, due 07
Quote by due 07
Don't be such a pompous asshat, asshat.

Just because most folks I've come across from your age demographic and political bent complain about long posts doesn't mean that you fit that stereotype--even though you had (and still are) dealing with each point in 50 words or less*. (*perhaps be not literally.) So I apologize for stereotyping you--it was pompous. But I guess I wasn't too far off given the name-calling.

Anyway, I realized I was starting to sound like you guys so I edited the stuff related to you out of my post, thinking no one's up this late anyway, but then I saw you beat me to it.

I guess you care enough about my opinion to get defensive, but whatever. That's another right we still enjoy here, luckily--since it's part of human nature.

Anyway if you ever open your mind a little bit, go ahead and analyze the political spectrum. Notice how many "antis" both sides share at the absolute edges. Sure, there's differences, but at the polar extremes there's more similarities than differences--and for the populace it's the same bottom line. No freedom and a good chance of getting tortured or murdered by the powers that be. Political prisoners at Soviet jails Siberia weren't any happier than political prisoners in Nazi conentration camps in Poland.

Even Jello Biafra sang out against Pol Pot. And he pointed out the similarities between Gov Brown's first administration and the Nazi regime in Germany. Don't try to tell me Mr. Biafra is some kind of right-winger.
due, you have been talking up Pol Pot a lot lately. Yes, he was a great leader but not the best since Stalin, no way.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by jetwash69
Don't try to tell me Mr. Biafra is some kind of right-winger.
Where are you getting these ideas from? Who here has indicated for half a second that they would think Jello is right-wing?

You're rambling on and on and now you are just spouting straight up craziness.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
I just wish once someone would tell me to be "open-minded" and not mean "you don't believe what I believe and I don't like that so there is clearly something wrong with you."
Just to clear things up, the Left Wing/Right Wing thing is the wrong way to think about it.

Politics are more like a ring, not a line. So if you keep going right you'll end up at Communism.

So Nationalism and Communism are more closely linked than you think.

All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by jetwash69

Just because most folks I've come across from your age demographic and political bent complain about long posts doesn't mean that you fit that stereotype--even though you had (and still are) dealing with each point in 50 words or less*. (*perhaps be not literally.)

Ok so I don't know enough about politics/am too lazy to make a decent enough counterargument, but I'd just like to point ou that if you do this*, you don't do brackets straight afterwards. You do it at the end. Not some bizarre combination of the two.

Anyway, continue with this hilarious argument

*I didn't actually have anything special to say about this
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Last edited by SuperBlob at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by jetwash69
Just because most folks I've come across from your age demographic and political bent complain about long posts doesn't mean that you fit that stereotype--even though you had (and still are) dealing with each point in 50 words or less*. (*perhaps be not literally.) So I apologize for stereotyping you--it was pompous. But I guess I wasn't too far off given the name-calling.

How are you able to type so well with your head so far up your ass?
Quote by jetwash69
Anyway, I realized I was starting to sound like you guys so I edited the stuff related to you out of my post, thinking no one's up this late anyway, but then I saw you beat me to it.

It's the thought that counts, right?
Quote by jetwash69
I guess you care enough about my opinion to get defensive, but whatever. That's another right we still enjoy here, luckily--since it's part of human nature.

Quit talking out of your ass for a second, you cretin.
Quote by jetwash69
Anyway if you ever open your mind a little bit, go ahead and analyze the political spectrum.

Mind opened, political spectrum envisioned. I'm ready.
Quote by jetwash69
Notice how many "antis" both sides share at the absolute edges.

Both sides? Oh, so we're going to dichotomize something as three-dimensional as political ideology. I'd personally advise against it (because it's fucking stupid), but I'm down if you are.
Quote by jetwash69
Sure, there's differences, but at the polar extremes there's more similarities than differences--and for the populace it's the same bottom line.

Right, okay. Why don't you explain to me how workers in, say, the Ukrainian Free Territory pre-Soviet invasion had it equal to the workers in under Pinochet's Chilean regime. Pretty close to diametrically opposed in ideology, and pretty close to diametrically opposite conditions for the general populace.
Quote by jetwash69
No freedom and a good chance of getting tortured or murdered by the powers that be.

I feel like a subhuman just reading this -- I'd hate to know what it would feel like if I wrote it.
Quote by jetwash69
Political prisoners at Soviet jails Siberia weren't any happier than political prisoners in Nazi conentration camps in Poland.

We're talking about "opposite ends of the political spectrum" here. Authoritative pseudoleftism (USSR) and high centrism (Third Reich) aren't even close to opposite.
Quote by jetwash69
Even Jello Biafra sang out against Pol Pot.

Even Jello Biafra!? The Jello Biafra? Hey everyone, Jello Biafra spoke out against a murderously brutal dictatorship! Stop the presses!!!
Quote by jetwash69
And he pointed out the similarities between Gov Brown's first administration and the Nazi regime in Germany.

How fucking edgy of him. That Jello. No one could ever demosntrate Godwin's Law so eloquently succinct. The little rascal.
Quote by jetwash69
Don't try to tell me Mr. Biafra is some kind of right-winger.

I wasn't planning on it. I don't even know how you came to that asinine conclusion.
A couple of folks here implied the TS is right wing because he supports immigration law.

If someone arrives at that conclusion from so little information, then it's perfectly reasonable they'd think Jello was right-of center given:
- His anti-Communism message in "Holiday in Cambodia"
- His anit-Democratic party messages in "California Uber Alles" and "Police Truck"
- Since the heyday of his musical career occurred under Democratic party leadership locally and nationally, he's best known for attacking those administrations
- If you didn't follow him later on YouTube, you might not know that he later replaced "Brown" with "Schwarzenegger " or be aware of his anti-business leanings in songs like "Pull My Strings"

So there's a lot less reason to brand the TS racist or right wing than there would be to say that about Jello. Heck, he even used the "n" word in Holiday in Cambodia.

Anyway, enough controversy for one night--here's something that might be less threatening to everyone's programming:

Quote by ErikLensherr
due, you have been talking up Pol Pot a lot lately. Yes, he was a great leader but not the best since Stalin, no way.

I don't know -- I quite like his "Let's make errone poor so errone equal" strategy. The "Digging your own graves" thing is just icing on the cake.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Just to clear things up, the Left Wing/Right Wing thing is the wrong way to think about it.

Politics are more like a ring, not a line. So if you keep going right you'll end up at Communism.

So Nationalism and Communism are more closely linked than you think.

No. What? What is everyone talking about!? That makes no sense.

And left-nationalism is a thing, so your last sentence is kind of right in a roundabout way.
Quote by jetwash69
So there's a lot less reason to brand the TS racist or right wing than there would be to say that about Jello. Heck, he even used the "n" word in Holiday in Cambodia.

Idiot confirmed.
Quote by due 07
Idiot confirmed.

Don't worry due 07; I ordered a replacement sarcasm detector for you on eBay. It should arrive before your next exams. You're going to be OK and eventually you'll start getting the point.
Quote by jetwash69
- His anit-Democratic party messages in "California Uber Alles" and "Police Truck"
Please for the love of God explain this one. I am dying to hear your explanation of how Police Truck has anti-Democratic sentiments.

Now, before I get ahead of myself again the only thing in that song that even mentions ANYTHING other than police antics is the line "The left newspapers might whine a bit
But the guys at the station they don't give a shit." If you somehow think that means he doesn't support the Democrat party well then I got nothing. You've proven you love to ramble and you've PROVEN you think everyone else here isn't very intelligent but I think you may have just gone full retard with this one.
Last edited by axeslash at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by jetwash69
Don't worry due 07; I ordered a replacement sarcasm detector for you on eBay. It should arrive before your next exams. You're going to be OK and eventually you'll start getting the point.

Sorry, I guess I couldn't discern sarcasm under your countless obfuscations and factual inaccuracies.
Quote by jetwash69
- If you didn't follow him later on YouTube, you might not know that he later replaced "Brown" with "Schwarzenegger " or be aware of his anti-business leanings in songs like "Pull My Strings"
I like this point the most because you actually forgot to tell us what song he replaced Brown with Schwarzenegger. You got so caught up in your crazy you forgot to tell us it was California Uber Alles.

I feel like you think you are funny and your sarcasm is witty and subtle but you ham-fist it so hard I just don't know what else to say other than this:

Don't get me wrong, I think that making shit up is a cute strategy in an argument. I'm just in no mood to entertain that particular tactic tonight.
Quote by axeslash
Please for the love of God explain this one. I am dying to hear your explanation of how Police Truck has anti-Democratic sentiments.

Now, before I get ahead of myself again the only thing in that song that even mentions ANYTHING other than police antics is the line "The left newspapers might whine a bit
But the guys at the station they don't give a shit." If you somehow think that means he doesn't support the Democrat party well then I got nothing. You've proven you love to ramble and you've PROVEN you think everyone else here isn't very intelligent but I think you may have just gone full retard with this one.

That's a lot of hostility directed at a guy who's main point is "generally speaking, extremism is not good".

OK, so this isn't about intelligence, it's about close-mindedness, and in the case of you and Police Truck, if you weren't alive back then (or paying attention at the time) then this is kind of esoteric:

I don't remember all the details so I'll throw out some points and let you use your intelligence to figure it out:
- How do you think Jello felt about the SFPD's boss in the late, late '70s and early '80s? (hint...she was the Mayor)
-- Did she stop them from clashing violently with his audiences?
-- What other greivances might he have had with her?
-- Do you think he was happy with how the City handled Dan White and his successful "twinkie defense"?

I hardly scratched the surface on Jello's anti-left streak and you're going to quibble over Police Truck? ...Really?

And you really think that extremism is a good thing? Or that it's OK if it's leftist extremism? Like Pol Pot, Che, and Stalin? If not, then why are you arguing about it?
Quote by axeslash
I like this point the most because you actually forgot to tell us what song he replaced Brown with Schwarzenegger. You got so caught up in your crazy you forgot to tell us it was California Uber Alles.

That, or I'm giving you more credit than you think.

I mentioned CUA earlier. I like DK, but am not obsessed, so I'm probably only familiar with a third or less of their material--CUA is their only song I know of that talks about Governer Brown, although I admit there could be others. Ironically, he just replaced Mr Swarzenegger as governor. I really hope the Swarzenegger vs Brown reference would be pretty clear to anyone reading a punk thread, but thanks for clearing that up in case someone's not that into DK or California politics.

By open mindedness I'm talking about not calling people names when they disagree with you. I don't mean pretending to agree with them or ignoring them. Discussion is a good thing. I haven't found anyone who agrees with 100% of anyone else's opinions, and as long as people respect each other there's nothing wrong with that. But what good comes from name calling?

Incidently, due 07 was the one who started disrespecting the TS right out the gate.
Page 1 of 3