Hi UG,

I have been playing for about 4 years now and I'm starting to feel more confident in my playing style but, I am worried that I am picking the strings wrong. When playing normal rhythm guitar, I play normal downstrokes unless fast and then I alternate but, when I am doing things like solo's I realise that sometimes, when I move to a different string, I will strike up with the pick. My guitar teacher always tells me to begin on each string with a downstroke. I just find it more comfortable when playing upstrokes sometimes, and it helps me play faster. Is this a problem or should I feel OK with playing like this? Is this kind of picking called enonomy picking or is that a different thing? If it is, can you tell me what it is (if you know)?

Thanks alot
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
i've only heard of starting on every new string with a downstroke in gypsy jazz guitar...

economy picking is when you sort of sweep your way to a new string, if the picking pattern allows for it. this can be done with the three notes per string pattern going up or down.

are you sure your teacher knows what he's talking about?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i've only heard of starting on every new string with a downstroke in gypsy jazz guitar...

economy picking is when you sort of sweep your way to a new string, if the picking pattern allows for it. this can be done with the three notes per string pattern going up or down.

are you sure your teacher knows what he's talking about?

I see . He's a sort of Jazz/Blues guitar player and I think he just does it to improve speed doing picking exercises. He is supposed to be a very good teacher, very well respected around my area Maybe that's just the way he plays
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Economy picking is like this

---U-D-D
A------3
E--1-2-

You don't have to always begin on a downstroke, especially if you're alternate picking. You'll get a slightly different accent to the note if you play a downstroke/upstroke, but when you're playing super fast, this hardly matters. It comes down to comfort though, if you feel you can go faster alternate, then alternate. It's good to practice both techniques though.
Quote by UKMaster
I see . He's a sort of Jazz/Blues guitar player and I think he just does it to improve speed doing picking exercises. He is supposed to be a very good teacher, very well respected around my area Maybe that's just the way he plays

How you play a guitar is all up to you. There's not a "wrong" way to pick or doing a technique, just widely accepted way of doing it. For example, Misha Mansoor says that his picking technique is "horrible", but he's a great musician, and has some mean guitar chops.
Quote by UKMaster

oh i see. no, in some genres they really do play like that. it doesn't really suit high-gain metal though since all that distortion sort of masks subtle dynamics like that. it would be good to learn what your teacher is teaching anyway, but just know that there is no right way (although pure alternate picking is usually the way to go in metal).
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Ye I sort of guessed it was really up to the player what they feel best doing Thanks for reassuring me
Quote by Cannibal Koala
How you play a guitar is all up to you. There's not a "wrong" way to pick or doing a technique, just widely accepted way of doing it. For example, Misha Mansoor says that his picking technique is "horrible", but he's a great musician, and has some mean guitar chops.

Misha is wrong, his picking is accurate, relaxed and economical as all hell; his picking hand is frankly phenomenal.

There is definitely a wrong way to do things and from what I've seen in the OP... I don't know why you would always greet a new string with a downstroke, that makes no sense at all.

I think TS should challenge his teacher on it, ask him why you should always do it that way. If he can justify it in a way that makes sense in all playing contexts then sure, go with it, but if not... I would advise finding a new teacher to be honest.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Don't worry I'll be sure to ask him why
There really is no real correct way to strum its all about comfort and what feels best to you. For example youtube Mary Friedman the old guitarist of Megadeth, he has an awkward picking style.
15 years old playing 4 years and no lessons. Guitars:Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Amps:Peavey 6505+ head, Peavey Classic 50 combo, Peavey audition 110. Effects:IbanezTS-9, Dunlop535qwah, BossMT-2. YouTube A7Xguitarplayer0272
Quote by A7Xguitarplayer
There really is no real correct way to strum its all about comfort and what feels best to you. For example youtube Mary Friedman the old guitarist of Megadeth, he has an awkward picking style.

Marty's. Picking. Is. Terrible. He had to change to a 'normal' way of picking to keep up with the rhythm playing in Megadeth, this tells anyone with a brain that his way of picking during leads is generally terrible.

There is a right way of picking and it's not that way; it's more like a set of principles than a "you must pick like this" but there is a right way.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

There is a right way of picking and it's not that way; it's more like a set of principles than a "you must pick like this" but there is a right way.

Just out of curiousity, what is the 'right way' to pick?
Quote by UKMaster
Just out of curiousity, what is the 'right way' to pick?

Movement from the wrist, thumb or palm touching the lower strings to mute, relaxed and co-ordinated with the other hand. The palm should be consistently in a ready position to palm mute and the pick should be held with the thumb and index finger to allow middle finger tapping and hybrid picking. The inner palm of the hand should be at least roughly parallel with the strings to enable all of the above and the wrist should be either level with or above the strings, leaving the arm entirely above the strings and resting on the body of the guitar. No part of the arm or hand should be constantly fixed in one place, everything should be free to move as needed.

I think that's about as good as I can do without pictures.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Movement from the wrist, thumb or palm touching the lower strings to mute, relaxed and co-ordinated with the other hand. The palm should be consistently in a ready position to palm mute and the pick should be held with the thumb and index finger to allow middle finger tapping and hybrid picking. The inner palm of the hand should be at least roughly parallel with the strings to enable all of the above and the wrist should be either level with or above the strings, leaving the arm entirely above the strings and resting on the body of the guitar. No part of the arm or hand should be constantly fixed in one place, everything should be free to move as needed.

I think that's about as good as I can do without pictures.

pwned
Hmm, I would say I play pretty similar to that description. Anyway, I feel much more confident in my playing style now

Thanks alot everyone