Hey guys, I'm looking for an amp and well i'm on a budget. Just wondering if anyone has built themselves a amp for their guitar. A few questions, Do you save money ( is it possible to build a amp for cheap, I have a really really shitty amp, but I could probably convert that into a shell ), if yes how much would it roughly cost and is there any sites that will teach me how to build an amp. there's a few sites from browsing but just wondering if there was a trusted one. and last question is it worth it? ( Time isn't a total issue for me, but will it be a decent practice amp if I succeed in making my own amp )

THANKS
http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/

check out the gear customizing forum's stickies.

it's going to cost at least as much as a valve junior if not more.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by lnphinity
Hey guys, I'm looking for an amp and well i'm on a budget. Just wondering if anyone has built themselves a amp for their guitar.

i haven't, but there are plenty around who have. the guitar building and customizing forum has a bunch of people there who do that. beyond that cathbard, acousticMirror, ECistheBest, CEC... among others... build amps on here.

Quote by lnphinity
A few questions, Do you save money

depends on what you consider cheap. there are plenty of companies out there that provide kits for building your own amp. i wanna say kits for something like a 18 watt marshall or fender tweed deluxe 5E3 go for ~400 to 500 bucks. that is far cheaper than the equivalent manufacturer price, but you can get cheaper amps for sure (like a VHT custom 6 is ~200/300 bucks)

Quote by lnphinity
( is it possible to build a amp for cheap, I have a really really shitty amp, but I could probably convert that into a shell ), if yes how much would it roughly cost and is there any sites that will teach me how to build an amp.

i guess you could gut everything out of your amp and use the chassis and cabinet, but that all depends on the circuit you wanna build. i know there is one site out there that specializes in showing/teaching/sharing info for 18 watt marshall 1974X amps. you should be able to find it pretty easy.

Quote by lnphinity
and last question is it worth it? ( Time isn't a total issue for me, but will it be a decent practice amp if I succeed in making my own amp )

the 'is it worth it' depends on how handy you are with electronics and how much you are willing to spend. you could make a cheap-o 5E3 with a poor design and not be happy with it cuz it's noisy. i personally own a couple 'home-kit' amps and they are better than 'acceptable', they are some of the best amps i have played.

if you are looking for a high end amp, then you can spend 1/2 the money making one yourself and get a great product. if you are only looking for an amp that costs a like 200 bucks then you will be more hard pressed to get something great.

as an after thought, i actually have built an 'amp' before. very cheap too, it was a based on a LM386 opamp chip, provides a couple watts and there are plenty of designs out there for em. might be a great place to start to get your feet wet. thought i'd mention it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Purely for the money saving reason, I strongly suggest NOT making an amp. It's gonna be pricier than u expected, and the sound will probs be sub-par. If you have passion for making things, consider it an art, then start building now! That's all I have to say
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Thank you guys for your helpful and quick replies! Just bored, and like wanting to experiment around. I plan to build myself a guitar too! it'll be a fun project. again, thanks!