Alright. I'm a freshman at college, have been here for a week and I HATE it. It was my top school, is relatively hard to get into and I thought I would love it but I hate the people here and just generally everything. I go back and forth on suicidal thoughts.
I want to speak to mental health professionals here at the counseling center, but I risk getting kicked out of the school for saying anything along the lines of wanting to kill myself. I spoke to my parents about maybe going to a community college next semester but they are forcing me to stay here. Any advice/stories of similar situations?
"discos are preparing our youth for the reaction speeds neccessary for world war 3."
If you want to leave the school and need mental help, why are you afraid of getting kicked out? Talk to your professors and if you do any drugs (marijuana or anything like that) stop, at least until you know you're okay
you're a stone fox
The first month i spent in university, living 60km away from my home, i also hated it.
Then i loved it.

Now, that 7 years have passed and i graduated (just last February! ), i really miss it...
It was awesome; living with friends, making my own rules... God, i really miss it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
give it some time and make some friends, everything will be all right.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
My first week of college was horrible too, hated all my classes, hated everyone, it was terrible.

Second week everything started getting better. Just focus on getting through your classes each week, and don't fall behind. Try to talk to other people and make friends.
It sucked, till I got into a routine, and started talking with people more, and making friends.
Alirght first off pyschotrists are legally obligated under confenditiality and can't say a word or you could charge them up the ass. Also stick with it things changes and get better often as time goes by youll make friends and have a good time.
Quote by Saint78
If you want to leave the school and need mental help, why are you afraid of getting kicked out? Talk to your professors and if you do any drugs (marijuana or anything like that) stop, at least until you know you're okay

I would go back home and figure things out if it were up to me, but my parents don't want me there.
"discos are preparing our youth for the reaction speeds neccessary for world war 3."
Quote by empty bathtub
I would go back home and figure things out if it were up to me, but my parents don't want me there.

Do they know you're having suicidal thought? If you do anything they get a manslaughter charge. like I said talk to psychologists, they can't legally say anything.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
talk to psychologists, they can't legally say anything.

Yes.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by Saint78
Do they know you're having suicidal thought? If you do anything they get a manslaughter charge. like I said talk to psychologists, they can't legally say anything.

I didn't tell them, but I will soon. And thanks guys for talking about your beginnings at college, it helps to know
Mate, before I went to university I was dreading that there would be anyone like me or my circle of friends. And when I got there, my first impressions was there wasn't!

But over time, you adapt and make new types of friends, bonding over different things - overall it makes you a more interesting and colourful person. And that's what college is for, entering a new time in your life.

If you are struggling to make friends, just trying go to societys and talking to people there. More people feel/felt the same way you did then you would think.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
It can't be that bad. Good people exist everywhere - just make friends with those. What college are you going to?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
It can't be that bad. Good people exist everywhere - just make friends with those. What college are you going to?

Yes, a lot of people on here are around college age and there might be people on here you can meet.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
Yes, a lot of people on here are around college age and there might be people on here you can meet.

Oh good lord no! Don't do that!
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by Saint78

actually, if you are planning on hurting yourself or someone else, they are allowed to break that confidentiality if they perceive you as a serious threat to yourself or others. though i'm not sure if they are required to, but they probably are.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Dude, what you're going through is completely normal. I hit a wall like that twice in first year of college. I hated my small room in residency so much that some times I would sleep in the floor lounge or even in the hallway. Things pick up man, always do. I can honestly say that I've come out of college with stronger friendships with people I've only known for 3 years than any I ever had with people who grew up with me back home. It's an experience worth doing.

You'll be good my friend, UG's got your back
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Last edited by Brandon860 at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by soccermom
Oh good lord no! Don't do that!

Why? Cause he's a random guy of the internet with mental problems? Don't be so stuck up.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78

^Speaks truth, three people in my program were UGer's.
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
You've only just started.
If you're like most college students, you're probably living away from home for the first time. It's difficult at first, but it's something everyone goes through and certainly not a reason to have suicidal thoughts.

My entire first year of university was pretty miserable because I was only thinking of the past. I'm not saying you should forget your friends and family. I suggest you take advantage of your present situation. College won't be fun unless you make it fun for yourself. Take comfort in the fact that you'll still see your friends and family over the holidays.

If that doesn't help, then think of the greater good. If you make it through college, it'll open a lot of doors for you. You're not here to suffer, you're there to learn and prepare for the future. You could be much, much worse off.

Sorry if I sounded harsh.
Last edited by sashki at Sep 3, 2011,