Page 1 of 3
hey guys i have a shiny new sexy white Custom Les Paul that hasnt been set up at all. There was quite a bow in the neck so I adjusted the truss and she all seems nice and straight now however the higher stringed side of things is still really high, about 4mm off the 12th fret...

how else can i lower it etc... i would rather the action go too low and raise the bridge a bit but they way it is atm isnt good

its a seconds which means it didnt quite make the Gibson standards aka im a cheap bitch, so do you think there might be a problem with the bridge?
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
Yeah, if it won't go any lower, you have an issue. Without pics, it's hard to determine what though.
just uploading some now

The action doesn't look like it's at 4mm. Is that 4mm between the top of the fret wire and bottom of the string?

Edit: nvm, I was looking at it wrong. Incorrect neck angle maybe?
Last edited by W4RP1G at Sep 3, 2011,
yeah man, if i get a ruler it sits parallel on the 4th mm maybe three if you go from the bottom, but still thats ALL the way down :\ unless its just a shit neck, its just not comfortable to play, my studio les paul is a lot lower and the bridge can still go down a fair bit
Quote by W4RP1G
The action doesn't look like it's at 4mm. Is that 4mm between the top of the fret wire and bottom of the string?

Edit: nvm, I was looking at it wrong. Incorrect neck angle maybe?

Edit again: Is that tune o matic bridge backwards? Shouldn't the intonation screws be facing the stop bar?

yeah sorry its a bit blurry you can make out the fine line of the e still. lower strings are fine,
Nvm the intonation screw suggestion, I looked at some pics, I guess that's how they are.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Looks fine to me...can you play it? My action is 4mm at the 12 fret, and my action is rather low.

yeah its just not anywhere near as comfortable as my studio and tbh its more the G and B strings in not diggin more than anything :\ but still think something is wrong if thats as low as it will go. I normally play around 2mm string action, so quite low
Quote by Master Shake
yeah its just not anywhere near as comfortable as my studio and tbh its more the G and B strings in not diggin more than anything :\ but still think something is wrong if thats as low as it will go. I normally play around 2mm string action, so quite low

Yeah, it's naturally gonna be higher at the 12th fret, and since it had a warped neck, and you have the TOM bottomed out, there's nothing you can do except deal with it. Just get everything evened out, and learn to play with a slightly higher action. Not all guitars are designed to have a super low action, Fender being one of those guitars, and classic style Gibsons to a degree don't have a super low action, have a more acoustic guitar type action.
it also seems strange how the low E is fine (2) you can see the bridge is set at a decent mid range level and its still higher than the high e :\

lower than the high e rather haha...
Last edited by Master Shake at Sep 3, 2011,
That sucks man, I can't imagine having my action that high on the low strings, let-alone the high strings.
Quote by Master Shake
it also seems strange how the low E is fine (2) you can see the bridge is set at a decent mid range level and its still higher than the high e :\

lower than the high e rather haha...

Well, you did say it didn't make Gibsons standards...that's prolly why.
not evidently or that i can see, the bend when i first got it was very visable but it looks very straight now.

There are some tiny blemishes on it but so so minor, its more the paint work
Quote by Master Shake
not evidently or that i can see, the bend when i first got it was very visable but it looks very straight now.

There are some tiny blemishes on it but so so minor, its more the paint work

Take the strings off, set the guitar on a perfectly level surface, and put a level on the 12th fret, and see if the bubble is in the middle, if it's not, then it's prolly twisted... Guitars will sit perfectly flat when set face up on a flat surface...well, they usually do.

Or you can take like a straight 2x4, and set it on the frets, and you'll see any twisting instantly that way.
Measure action at the fret where the neck first meets the body, not at the twelfth fret. Those strings in the picture do not look like they are at 4mm. Are you sure that your ruler is not divided into half millimeters? And if this guitar really does have the strings 4mm off the frets with the bridge lowered all the way and the neck is straight then something is very, very wrong with that neck.
Does the "e" sit into the nut or on top of a small groove?

Gibson doesn't exactly file the nut a whole lot.

Can we get a good side shot of the nut?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
a bevel box recons its about 1 degree out
off topic but ROFL at the part the holds the strings being clearly marked Epiphone haha
wrong bridge for it maybe??
Yes, that's an Epi bridge. It's got the metric posts, so it's definitely not standard. I don't think that would cause the problem, but it is curious.
Looks like the nut and tuners are wrong too. And if it is NEW as stated then the binding should be white.
yeah well basically when they have the paint blemishes etc they get sent and assembled at the Epiphone factory. it could be two guitars even. was just curious if it was a fixable problem. its not too bad but i do like the strings a little lower
Quote by jpnyc
Measure action at the fret where the neck first meets the body, not at the twelfth fret. Those strings in the picture do not look like they are at 4mm. Are you sure that your ruler is not divided into half millimeters? And if this guitar really does have the strings 4mm off the frets with the bridge lowered all the way and the neck is straight then something is very, very wrong with that neck.

From the fret board or from the fret? To the bottom of the string or to the top?
Thats why Gibson used to destroy guitars that didn't make the grade, insted of trying to pass off a POS because it says Gibson on the headstock.
How much did you pay for it?
A Gibson B-stock should still have ALL GIBSON PARTS, not a missmatch of Gibson/Epiphone.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, that's an Epi bridge. It's got the metric posts, so it's definitely not standard. I don't think that would cause the problem, but it is curious.

good call colin. i was posting from my phone and didn't notice the metric bridge.

and it's a rosewood board on a custom.

so it's either a B stock epiphone, or a fake gibson.

and either way i wouldn't expect it to set up perfectly.

TS - return the guitar if possible.
Quote by Butt Rayge
From the fret board or from the fret? To the bottom of the string or to the top?

From the top of the fret to the bottom of the string.
I don't know anything about Gibson B stocks, but I have an Ibanez Prestige B stock that was sold as a second because of a neck pocket Finish crack. It's every bit as good as an A stock prestige, just sold at nearly half price new. In fact, it's way better, build quality wise, than my other Ibanez Prestige, which is an A stock.
ts where'd you get the guitar? if you dont mind, what did you pay for this?
no need to be too specific if you dont want.

1. when you fret between the 2-3rd fret, how high is the string at the first fret?

is it a hair up? is it on the fret? is it high off the first fret where you can see the gap?

2. when you fret the low E at the first fret, and at the same time the 19th fret.
what type of gap is at the 7-9th fret? does a medium pick fit in that gap?
does the string touch the frets at the frets there?

3. are those factory strings? can the guitar be intonated? when you fret the 12th fret, is the guitar in tune, when the open string is in tune?

please quote this post and answer as many of these questions as you can and i'll try to help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by Master Shake
its a seconds which means it didnt quite make the Gibson standards aka im a cheap bitch, so do you think there might be a problem with the bridge?

Gibson has standards?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Thta's not a Gibson. Epiphone most likely or a counterfeit! When will people learn.
Moving on.....
I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I don't know what's already been said in the comments, but I think it's a warped neck. If you look straight down the neck from the nut, does it look straight?
Quote by KenG
Thta's not a Gibson. Epiphone most likely or a counterfeit! When will people learn.

never.

period.

PT Barnum was right ken. there IS a sucker born every minute.
There's your problem, you bought an obvious fake. It is and angled headstock and when it curves down, it should be a smooth curve with no angles. Even epiphones are curved down without angles. Yours does have angles and is not smoothly curved. If you bought it from Guitar Center or Sam Ash, go back demand your money back, and contact the authorities because it is illegal to sell or even own a counterfiet.

See this thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1141248&page=1&pp=20
Quote by KenG

Came in here to say this..^^^ I hope you didn't pay to much for it.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by Master Shake
yeah well basically when they have the paint blemishes etc they get sent and assembled at the Epiphone factory. it could be two guitars even. was just curious if it was a fixable problem. its not too bad but i do like the strings a little lower

No they dont. Why send a MIA guitar to China to then get sent back? Its cheaper to destroy them.

Sorry but that guitar is a fake.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Page 1 of 3