hi, I play on a Fender Jazzmaster, with the dunlop fuzzface in between the guitar and a fender frontman 65r.

Whenever I engage the pedal, there is quite a loss in volume, and it kinda ruins any practicality of using it. Is there anything wrong with it, is there something I should adjust?

on the amp I usually have the treble around 3, mids on 10 and bass at 5, and there is a very faint bit of gain underneath the fuzz(knob in between 2 and 3)

this is usually the settings i like for my "dry" sound, without the fuzz, but whenever I engage it, there is a loss in volume, and i have the volume dimed and the fuzz. Also I take the battery out whenever i'm not using it, or else it'll eat them like crazy.
i think what you're experiencing is a dip in the mid-range frequencies leading to a drop in perceived volume, unless your jazzmaster has exceedingly high output pickups. my fuzzface does this too. it's just an extremely mid-scooped pedal. the EQ on the amp can't add frequencies that just aren't present in the sound you're feeding into it.

i think, like most early FX pedal designs, it's not really practical for switching on and off, it's the kind of thing that works best when you run the pedal switched on all the time and control the level of gain with the guitar volume, but then you never really get a proper clean sound that way.

another thing to try is keeping your volume on the guitar rolled back a little so the pedal boosts the whole signal just enough that it doesn't cause a drop in the mid-range. you won't get as much gain out of the pedal that way, but you'll definitely get more note definition and clarity - imo the fuzzface sounds best with the guitar's volume rolled back anyway.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Thanks dude, I've been trying to use the guitar to get from normal OD to some sort of insane fuzz (ala white stripes or black keys). Is there another pedal I should try to find that would do this a little better? maybe something with a little more control over eq?
fuzzface is a very bass heavy pedal. with your bass turned down so much you are taking away from the range it works in. when i use mine i always run a wah into it (ala Hendrix) otherwise the sound is to bass heavy for my liking. fuzz's also work way better with tube amps.
It could be what people are saying but could you do a recording or something? I mean that way it would be easy to tell if it was a percieved drop or an actual drop by looking at it. Just keep the setup as normal, and turn the fuzz volume and fuzz up high and such?
Quote by Blompcube
i think, like most early FX pedal designs, it's not really practical for switching on and off, it's the kind of thing that works best when you run the pedal switched on all the time and control the level of gain with the guitar volume, but then you never really get a proper clean sound that way.

That really depends on the transistors used in the Fuzz Face. On a Fuzz Face with germanium NKT-275 transistors, you could have the fuzz all the way up on the pedal, and still be totally clean when you roll down to about 7-8on the guitar's volume knob.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.