When I play guitar sometimes I use my pinky finger on my strumming hand to mute the higher strings on the guitar when playing certain things. I have been told recently however that it is a beginners mistake to be "anchoring" my right hand to the guitar. In my defense to this I said that I only do it during certain sections of songs or riffs and that I am not using it as some sort of crutch, but mainly to make it sound cleaner when I know there may be buzz coming from the higher strings. Of course this debate ensued for a few minutes longer...but is what I am doing used by other guitar players as well? And is it considered an improper technique even when I don't "need" to be doing it but choose to in order to have a cleaner sound?
Anchoring is not a beginner's mistake. Even the best players in the world do it. As far as muting the higher strings goes, most players use their fretting hand to do it. I can imagine that muting with your pinky might slow you down...but my opinion might be biased because I play unanchored.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
No there is no wrong way to play guitar. whoever your talking too must not know very much. I always attempt to cover string I'm not playing so you don't get that annoying build up of sound in the backround that makes ur notes unclear and muddy sounding.
I'll say that when I came back to guitar three months ago I started anchoring my pinky a little more, and it helped me a lot in picking fast, although sometimes it changes. I say let whatever happens happen. Don't think about it. Just let your natural playing style come out. The hand position doesn't matter too much, except I would say not to do what MAB, Friedman, or Wylde does. Those picking techniques are horrible to be completely honest. Terribly inefficient.

I have a weird way of muting strings that I can't even begin to describe. I think I tend to (if I'm playing a power chord with the root on the A string) mute the low E string with my index finger, and the higher pitched ones with the bottom part of my index. When I pick, I couldn't even tell you. So I'm not helping much, but just know that with a lot of practice your ability to do it will naturally happen. I'm saying that it takes hundreds (possibly thousands) of hours.

But again, I anchor most of the time, but tend not to think about it, and I can play Yngwie's licks just as clean and fast.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Last edited by fretmaster13 at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by GNRAGE_2010
When I play guitar sometimes I use my pinky finger on my strumming hand to mute the higher strings on the guitar when playing certain things. I have been told recently however that it is a beginners mistake to be "anchoring" my right hand to the guitar. In my defense to this I said that I only do it during certain sections of songs or riffs and that I am not using it as some sort of crutch, but mainly to make it sound cleaner when I know there may be buzz coming from the higher strings. Of course this debate ensued for a few minutes longer...but is what I am doing used by other guitar players as well? And is it considered an improper technique even when I don't "need" to be doing it but choose to in order to have a cleaner sound?

whoever told you that is wrong in pretty much every sense. using your fingers to mute strings is not anchoring or even bad technique, its a muting technique. eric johnson uses his pinky to mute the high e string when playing and he is considered to have very good technique.

the problem is that people seem to think any touching of the guitar is anchoring when really, thats not the case. anchoring needs to be a fixed position on the guitar with pressure applied. also, anchoring isnt really as bad as everyone seems to think. but the theory is that you should stay loose while playing and anchoring builds up tension. however like i said, you can touch the guitar and not anchor and therefor touch and stay loose.

anyways, i tend to touch the guitar a bit with my fingers. but they arent in a fixed posittion so its fine. i also touch the strings at times to mute. usually i do this with slide playing to mute strings im not playing. sometimes ill do it with bends to so other strings dont make noise. muting is very important to sounding good and i dont think there is anything wrong with what you are doing.
play however your comfortable. y force yourself into an un-natural position unless your doing something way off. there is no right way in music, there are prefered ways and rules of thumb.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by ihaveaidsguys

Anchoring is bad, /thread

leave
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Gotta admit, that .jpeg was funny.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Quote by EspTro
leave

Make me?

I love absolute sheer idiots like you who try and argue that it's okay do to do compensate for your appauling technique. Keep thinking that and playing flawed bro

Dude, I know right. I have to be honest. Most of the guys on here that give advice have no idea how they sound when they play. Keep playing your Cowboys to Hell solo. It sounds "good".

Edit: Okay, I hate being an ass. Seriously. Your playing sounds alright, but please coordinate your left hand and right hand. I listened to the first ten seconds and got turned off. It just doesn't sound coordinated... no vibrato... no feeling for the song. it was empty.

ihaveaidsguys, you're a funny guy (Goodfellas reference)
Last edited by fretmaster13 at Sep 4, 2011,
I think you'd have to anchor if you're playing in the 'classical' hand position (thumb behind the neck), because your left hand shouldn't be resting on the unfretted strings, therefore there's going to be abit of noise.

I do this aswell, sometimes. It's probably true that it's better to play without anchoring, because you develop more hand strength, but if famous guitarists do it then you shouldn't feel bad about doing it too
TS, what you're describing is not anchoring.

Anchoring is when you are actually pushing part of your picking hand into the guitar's body to create a point of reference. The reason that anchoring is bad is because by pushing your hand into the guitar, you're creating unnecessary tension, which could turn into a problem down the road in the form of RSI, CTS, or tendinitis.

what you described is a common muting technique. Most players use both of their hands to mute various strings as needed; otherwise, you'd get a whole lot of ugly string noise when you played. good muting technique is essential and it's important that you don't confuse that with anchoring, which is an entirely different beast.

When asking the question "Am I anchoring?", the answer is only yes if you're pushing part of your hand into the guitar body and are creating tension. As long as there's no extra tension, there is no problem.

/thread
If anchoring helps you, do it, if not - dont. There are many great guitarists who anchor - how ever slight - at some point in songs they play. Personally i dont anchor, the point of reference is i have my wrist slightly below the low e, so i only need to move minimally for chords but im always in position for picking. Sometimes on slow songs i rest my pinky on unwanted strings (like you do) to stop any noise that might come through, rarely i'll rest it on the body for no reason other than its comfortable to do.

But if people are going to bitch about anchoring n stuff, you might as well say - never windmill, or lift your hand off to really dig in on those long emotional notes, or put your thumb over the top of the fretboard, or play your guitar lower than mid torso, and when you sit down make sure your guitar rests on your left knee like the classical dudes!
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by fretmaster13
Dude, I know right. I have to be honest. Most of the guys on here that give advice have no idea how they sound when they play. Keep playing your Cowboys to Hell solo. It sounds "good".

Edit: Okay, I hate being an ass. Seriously. Your playing sounds alright, but please coordinate your left hand and right hand. I listened to the first ten seconds and got turned off. It just doesn't sound coordinated... no vibrato... no feeling for the song. it was empty.

ihaveaidsguys, you're a funny guy (Goodfellas reference)

that clip was uploaded a year ago
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED