Hey guys, I bought a Peavey 6505+ from the states and am eventually going to get the amp itself converted for Australian power, but as I don't have the money or time for a roadtrip to Melbourne at the moment, I was just going to buy a stepdown transformer until I can.

Would this be fine to run the amp off?
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MF1084&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1002#12

Is 500w enough or do I need to go up to 1000w?

Thanks.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
That will work. I'd go with the 1000, you might be cutting it too close with the 500. I think the draw on the 6505+ is 400 watts. It will say on the back under the power cable socket.
The 6505+ doesn't have a voltage selector??? They'd have saved what in manufacturing costs? $1 maybe? That's pathetic, there's a whole world out there that doesn't use the same voltage as the US - and the amp isn't even built in the US ffs!!. A bit more transformer wire and a simple switch. Pathetic I tells ya, simply pathetic.
Looking at you too Mesa. "Export transformer, that'll be $800." Well go suck my tossle. I don't care about protecting your foreign distributors penchant for ripping us off. Screw them and screw you. We have a free trade agreement with the US. What use is that when the companies thwart it by doing dodgey crap like that?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's rated in VA not watts. The 500 says 4.2amp draw.

I think you'll need more then that.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
It's rated in VA not watts. The 500 says 4.2amp draw.

I think you'll need more then that.

VA is voltage X amps of current, which equals the wattage.
how does the maths work if the stepdown has less amps then the power transformer of the amp?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
The power transformer cited draws 4.2 amps at 120V = 504 watts.
The transformer is 230V, which means it will do 2.17 amps of current at 500 watts.
Though the current is half, that's ok because it's only half the equation - the voltage is doubled, which means that the overall power is equal.

Basically, the current can be lower on the step-down transformer because current isn't a good measurement of what's going on electrically. Wattage is what causes damage in equipment. Current is only useful when the voltage is standard, which it's not in this case.
Quote by Roc8995
VA is voltage X amps of current, which equals the wattage.

Not quite

W = Volts x Amps x Power Factor

To answer the OP. The head unit is specc'd at 400W input power for 120V source voltage. That's at the full rated 120W output.

The Peavey specs don't declare the amp's input power factor. In engineering circles a safe assumption is a transformer working into a 0.8PF when no input PF is declared.

The 500VA transformer can deliver 400W (500VA x 0.8).

So the 500VA transformer is fine if you're not planning to run the amp at full rated 120W output. But if you are, then that's cutting it really really close and you'de be better off with a 600VA....

I always try to leave around 20% headroom.

Hope this helps.
So you're saying it would work, I just can't crank the amp?
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
So you're saying it would work, I just can't crank the amp?

Yeah it'll work. But you won't be able to crank the amp to full output. You'll saturate the step down transformer most likely.

Max you can probably go to leave a safe amount of headroom would be about 80-90 watts output out of the amp which for most things is plenty loud.

But get the amp sorted as soon as you can. US supply frequency is 60Hz, Aus is 50 and theres nothing you can do about that. While not a big difference its not recommended you leave it indefinitely like this.
Last edited by Phoenix V at Sep 4, 2011,