Alright so as some of you would know, I recently struggled with and eventually bought an Audio Interface (An Alesis iO2 Express). For the most part it works great (I'd say. Some fixable problems but everything will take time). Anyway, it came with a program called Cubase LE 5, which seems pretty fancy to me.

At first I was just going to stick to good ol' Audacity... But then... problems began to arise... Even with much better and defined sound from my instruments, it wasn't enough... At first I thought I wasted money on this thing and was thinking I had to send it back, but I decided I still needed to work through it. I looked some stuff up, blah blah blah, equalization, blah blah blah, Audacity doesn't have stuff, blah blah blah- BASICALLY I learned that certain things still need to be equalized so not to blow out speakers or to have shoddy quality blah blah blah Lessons I Learned in Boating School.

SO I decided to start using Cubase! I'm sad to leave Audacity but it must be done if I want to make full use of this increase in quality! I'm having some problems as of now which I can't figure out though...

1) It records and whatever, but I can't get any playback! Even when I set up the speakers for it to play out of!

2) I don't really know much about equalization and I was hoping if someone could point me in the right direction! (Though it looks fancy as hell on Cubase haha)

3) Are there any tips anyone can give me based on either of the things I mentioned in this post? (The Alesis iO2 Express and Cubase LE 5) I know things will take time but I may as well get as much info as I can.

Thanks in Advance. Sorry for posting noob shit all the time.
Fair enough.
Cubase can be a bit confusing and intimidating, I'm still trying to figure it out too. I have Cubase LE 4, so I'm not sure if there's a huge difference but in your "Inspector" menu area, do you have it set to "Mono In" and "Stereo Out" That might be it. If not just make sure ya set up your VST Connections properly.
I don't have Cubase anymore, so I can't comment on how exactly to make it work, but do you have your input and output set as the ASIO for your interface? You may not be able to monitor directly out of the speakers plugged into your computer, and instead have to monitor out through the headphone/monitor outs on your interface.

For your EQ questions, this is a good starting point:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Arg! If that's the case the only pair of headphones I have are god awful! What if I unplug the iO2 when I'm done recording, then I set up the speakers? I don't know why I'm asking, I'm going to try that haha, but it does make sense since it's in and whatnot...

Arg this is tedious and annoying, I think the only thing I can do at this point is to just buy a new pair of headphones. But even then when I test them out the sound is low and choppy. I think I'll just look it up on the website. I mean, they can't be THAT ignorant that they wouldn't let you pick where you want your sound to playback from, right?

Wow, I have never seen that chart before. It would have made a great reference point compared to what I've been dealing with up till now...

There's only one problem with it though, I don't entirely understand it. I see that it tells me where the good sounds are, but based on that is how I increase or decrease volume? I'm just trying to make sure I understand everything
Fair enough.
Last edited by AfroRockerMike at Sep 4, 2011,
For Cubase, have you turned off monitoring after you have recorded? It's the little speaker button on the audio track.

As for EQ, it really is up to you what you want to stand out in any given song. I would suggest you hi pass everything that doesn't need super low bass such as guitars, vocals, the drum kit except maybe the kick drum etc.

Also if you find the vocals aren't cutting through, don't automatically boost the highs, try to remove some from other instruments to give the vocals their own space. I know this can be pretty hard as when you do it sometimes the guitars or whatever loose all of their character and presence, but it is a trade off.
Well, I mean sometimes the sound gets too boomy or it gets a high pitch, so the best way to solve this is by equalizing those highs and lows to make them fit perfect. Even with my bass always sounding good normal, a Qtron sometimes has a sound spike.

Alright well while I haven't really gotten the hang of it entirely, that chart has been pretty useful so far! I'm still working out some things here and there and I can't use the Alesis' speakers yet without a good enough set of phones, but I'm using it on Audacity, and I find deamplifying it helps out a lot! Haha
Fair enough.
Last edited by AfroRockerMike at Sep 4, 2011,
Well again, I'm finding that recording with the mic gives me really clear quality but I still need some quick equalization help. That chart is really useful, but I don't understand how to follow it. Can anybody help me out?
Fair enough.