Hey guys! This is my senior year in high school and we're required to do a "senior project" to graduate. So I thought this was the perfect excuse to build my dream guitar :razz: So let this build begin!!!

At first, I was tossing around the idea of trying to swirl the guitar myself as my "Mentor" is actually a professional painter/guitar tinkerererer. While we could've done it, I found someone who could do it much better. Mr. Herc Fede.

(And yes I just won this off Ebay like 5 seconds ago)

This may sound a little wierd, but some swirls speak to me and others don't. That was the whole reason I was leary of doing one myself. I feel my stars aligned and Herc put this sucka on Evilbay. This guitar is so bright, I about had to put my sunglasses on to read the listing, hence the name. This specific Pmc brought back a sense of nostalgia of growing up back in the 90's (weird I know) so money was pretty much no object as I knew I had to have it. And will continue to be no object as i've saved quite a bit for this and I want a unique guitar that's going to last me a lifetime. That's all I got for the moment! Also, I forgot to mention it feels so good to actually be behind a project instead of staring at all yours haha.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
It looks great, but doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of building a guitar for a senior project if you buy the body off of ebay already painted and routed? Bolting on the neck and doing the electronics and trem are going to take you a day or two at most.
^^ It's not a GIANT project. The min hour requirement is 10 hours lmao. I'm rebinding a pyramidal fingerboard to an RG AANJ neck and then doing the pyramid inlays myself in purple/orange/yellow. So that should take a quite a bit of time.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
As for the headstock, I have a few ideas in mind. Nothing set yet. I'd love to be able to somehow add like a transparent overlay over chrome tuners in the colors of the rainbow. And Xadio I was never a big fan of playdoh as I ate some when I first got it and it made me sick
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Quote by BlackIce87
As for the headstock, I have a few ideas in mind. Nothing set yet. I'd love to be able to somehow add like a transparent overlay over chrome tuners in the colors of the rainbow. And Xadio I was never a big fan of playdoh as I ate some when I first got it and it made me sick

this is your chance to make peace with it!
not sure about overlays on tuners. seems like too complex of a shape.
if you got something other than metal, you may be able to sand the paddles of the tuners and dye them. may look awful, or awesome...
Haha. That's what I was talking about though kinda. Like I saw some Purple paint at Walmart that you spray over shiny surfaces and it gives them a slight transparent colored tint.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
You sir, have my jealousy. I wish you luck with this!
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
^ Thanks bro lol. I'm trying to decide if I want to go Pyramids or Tree of life at the moment. I'm starting to think a Tree with a purple stem and neon green, orange, yellow, purple and pink leafs would be sick. Also, the neck is going to be a super wizard from one of the newer prestiges.

Also trying to find chrome hardware that's not to expensive. The problem at the moment is I don't know if the body supports an Edge pro. If it doesn't, then i'm going to have to go with an Original Edge most likely in Cosmo black
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Last edited by BlackIce87 at Sep 6, 2011,

I REALLY REALLY REALLY need this image photochopped!!! If anyone has any free time, please give this Jem a purple vine and any arrangement of Orange, Green, Yellow, Pink, and purple leaves that you see fit. I'm trying to figure out what a Multi-vine would look like as I can't find any that has been done in the past.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Alright, it's clear and ready to assemble! I was having second thoughts about clearing it myself, so I took it down to local body shop for a quick estimate. After explaining the project was my senior project, Jimmy took me in the back and explained the whole process including mixing and spraying techniques. And then we started shooting the PPG clear. We layed down a sticky tack coat, and then proceeded to do 2 heavy wet coats in about an 30 minute succession and then let it dry over the weekend. I went back today and we wet sanded with 2000 and 3000 grit and then buffed it. It looks absolutely phenominal and didn't cost me a dime. I must say big props to those guys as I doubt it would've come out like this if I would've done this completely by myself.
Before:

After:

After wetsanding and buffing:

2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
It's funny, I used to HATE swirls, but seeing the clearcoat go on and how this one looks? Dude hurry up and finish.
*insert witty statement here*
i remember that guitar from your orange ibby ngd, the swirl looks sezzy as hell
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
That swirl looks phenominal! And with that clear coat on, oh my god! Stunning!
http://www.facebook.com/someofusneverdie

Check us out, we'd really appreciate any feedback or support.

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
Boss TU-2, ISP Decimator, MXR Carbon Copy
I love that, it looks bloody nice. Might do a strat like that I reckon, oneday.
that clearcoat looks amazing. I can't wait to see how you are going to do the neck and headstock.
Q: What's worse than lobsters on your piano?
A: Crabs on your organ.