If i'm in a minor key, for examples sake Eminor, and i play the chords E minor and C minor, how would I notate this using roman numerals?
i - vi? or i-bvi?
Natural minor?? Em and C in natural minor i - III
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Quote by greeneyegat
If i'm in a minor key, for examples sake Eminor, and i play the chords E minor and C minor, how would I notate this using roman numerals?
i - vi? or i-bvi?

Well you would always use the lower-case numerals for minor chords. Using the flat seems to be a matter of opinion. I myself use it--taking it to mean a minor or diminished interval--while others do not.

EDIT:
Quote by iancmtaylor
Natural minor?? Em and C in natural minor i - III

No. E -> C is a minor sixth interval. Furthermore, the C chord in question was given as minor. It is a chromatic submediant.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Last edited by soviet_ska at Sep 4, 2011,
Just to reiterate; Because i'm in a minor key, there is a minor sixth interval. Writing this in Roman Numerals, would I use iv, or biv? I'm not worried about key or tonality here haha.

Quote by soviet_ska
Well you would always use the lower-case numerals for minor chords. Using the flat seems to be a matter of opinion. I myself use it--taking it to mean a minor or diminished interval--while others do not.

So basically if i have a 'i' chord, it's established that i'm in a minor key, and it can be assumed that the sixth chord will be flattened to fit within that key?
Lower case is minor. Upper case is major.

You say the song is in Em, therefore Em is i.

C is the 6th note in the E minor scale. You want a minor chord built off this C, so it is vi.

So Em - Cm in the key of Em is:

i - vi
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by soviet_ska

No. E -> C is a minor sixth interval. Furthermore, the C chord in question was given as minor. It is a chromatic submediant.

That's what happens when I'm up too late, thought it was C -> E lol I get the part about the chromatic submediant though.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Quote by greeneyegat
So basically if i have a 'i' chord, it's established that i'm in a minor key, and it can be assumed that the sixth chord will be flattened to fit within that key?

Yes, it may. Not everyone agrees on the 'preferred' way--I write flats even in a minor key context to eliminate possible confusion--but you can certainly write it this way.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by AlanHB

C is the 6th note in the E minor scale. You want a minor chord built off this C, so it is vi.

So Em - Cm in the key of Em is:

i - vi

Awesome, thank you
Quote by greeneyegat
i - vi? or i-bvi?

You're just borrowing C minor from the parallel major. So i - vi is correct.

i - iio - III - iv - v - VI - VII - i

I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - viio - I
Last edited by WastedRespect at Sep 4, 2011,
C# minor is from the parralell major, and it isn't common for minor keys to borrow from major keys.

You write roman numerals in accordance to the key.

If it's in G minor, you don't write bIII to show Bb major, you write III.

So in E minor, a C minor chord would be shown as vi.