Page 1 of 3
searched and came up with nothing relevant.
ever had deja vu? what do those words even mean?
what does it mean to you and what are your theories about its existence?
essentially:what is deja vu and why does it happen? furthermore what does it mean to you personally when it happens?
when i was younger i would "change" my deja vu. i.e. if someone was about to say something i would then stop them from saying it , altering my sense of "precognition" or whatever it is...
after i started to change them they began to double and even triple.
i will try to explain this doubling as best i can.
take my previous example, if i had stopped someone from saying something that they would have (presumably said if i had not had deja vu and stopped them) i would also have a feeling of that particular deja vu incident doubling meaning that the previous time i did NOT stop them from saying it but this time i did. a false memory of sorts.
by tripling i mean that the first time i did not stop them, the second time i DID, but this third time(the present) i did not stop them and the deja vu went as originally intended.

i am curious as to whether anybody else has experienced this doubling, tripling, and even quadrupling of deja vu.

tl;dr ever had deja vu?
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Deja Vu (wherever the accents are supposed to go) is french for "already seen."

Tl;Dr: chill out. You're not Donnie Darko.

Quote by SKArface McDank
Delete this post now.

too ****ing late, I knew blake was going to post.

Wut?
Last edited by blake1221 at Sep 4, 2011,
Delete this post now.

too ****ing late, I knew I would see that goddamned starfox frog.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by blake1221
Deja Vu (wherever the accents are supposed to go) is french for "already seen."

Tl;Dr: chill out. You're not Donnie Darko.

Wut?

haha love that movie. seriously though i have experienced this on at least 10 separate occasions over the past 7 years. is there anything to this? does anybody know what i am talking about? can anybody relate their own experiences similar to this?

I mean, wikipedia doesn't yield much in the areas where you're asking about, but I'm sure you can dig up some shit on it. Probably some interesting psuedo-science babble on a weird website, too. It happens a lot to me, but just bugs because no matter how convincing it is, I know being psychic isn't real, and it bums me out that I'm not special.

It's not uncommon though, it happens to most everybody.
Quote by blake1221
I mean, wikipedia doesn't yield much in the areas where you're asking about, but I'm sure you can dig up some shit on it. Probably some interesting psuedo-science babble on a weird website, too. It happens a lot to me, but just bugs because no matter how convincing it is, I know being psychic isn't real, and it bums me out that I'm not special.

It's not uncommon though, it happens to most everybody.

with the doubling and everything?
i realize i must have some small misfire of neurons in which i perceive new information to be old and im sure it happens to most everyone at one point or another.

but it doubles and triples and i was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this part of it.

Some, however, point to more recent findings in physics, such as the possibility of particles that can travel backwards in time (tachyons), time loops and multiple universes. They say that these may give cause for more non-traditional ways of seeing causality and for the possibility of neurological "time travel" (1). This means that, maybe, just maybe, understanding déjà vu as a means of seeing into the past or future cannot be so immediately dismissed.

maybe i am Donnie after all.....haha seriously that was a good read man. very interesting.

My friend (DD) and I were driving back to our place last night after a downtown adventure with some buddies back home, and we stopped at a Taco Bell so I could get some burritos at 4am. After getting out of the drive thru, he was convinced that he lost his phone, so we parked on the side lot to find it.

I was sitting in the seat calling his phone, half helping to look and half spacing out drunk, when I saw this ~60 yr old homeless man walking towards us on the sidewalk. Damn, gives me chills just thinking about it . He walked to us back hunched over with a cane and what looked like a really bad leg.

My friend's standing outside looking under the seats and my jaw is just dropped and heart racing watching this guy walk over to us. He tries to sell us some big hotel coupon books for change, and I passed my friend $2 for him (he was annoyed/half-panicingly still looking for his phone not paying much attention to him) and the man hobbles off. My friend finds his phone and he's very relieved and we start driving again.

I shit you not, probably a little more than a week or so ago I had a dream where I was at this odd movie theatre and there's this 12 yr old kid with a hunched back and cane walking around the lobby with a Gameboy. Didn't tell my friend about it just because I didn't feel like putting the effort to it, but it was a pretty crazy for me to see that last night. Also kind of a crazy coincidence that this thread came up .
i know the massively powerful intellect of the Pit can solve this great mystery. all we need is time.....
Bring out the dancing lobsters!

seriously though, anybody relate to my tales of tripling?

@Fat Lard its like some kind of.....weirdness....

Last edited by Harvey Swick at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by Harvey Swick

take my previous example, if i had stopped someone from saying something that they would have (presumably said if i had not had deja vu and stopped them) i would also have a feeling of that particular deja vu incident doubling meaning that the previous time i did NOT stop them from saying it but this time i did. a false memory of sorts.
by tripling i mean that the first time i did not stop them, the second time i DID, but this third time(the present) i did not stop them and the deja vu went as originally intended.

i am curious as to whether anybody else has experienced this doubling, tripling, and even quadrupling of deja vu.

Well, that was a big ol' chunk of WTF.

Seriously though, I've had deja vu many times. But the way you make it sound is that you KNOW what is going to happen before it does. For me, it's just feeling like I've experienced a situation at least once before.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Definitely have deja vu occasionally. When it happens, it just feels like images flash across my head and I get this feeling I've been here before.

No theory on my own. But there is a supernatural Hong Kong movie which gives the explanation that there are parallel universes and stuff, and when two of them overlap, a deja vu occurs.

Either that, or they were talking about going into parallel universes, because that's what the whole show was about.
Quote by Alpha_Wolf
Well, that was a big ol' chunk of WTF.

Seriously though, I've had deja vu many times. But the way you make it sound is that you KNOW what is going to happen before it does. For me, it's just feeling like I've experienced a situation at least once before.

yeah thats the way i feel. i think shes about to say "and then it broke" so i stop her from saying it.
immediately after i stop her i "remember" that the previous time i DIDNt stop her and once realizing that i "remember" the time before that i DID stop her.

all those "rememberings" and realizations happen one after another in a sequence to fast for me to control.

I've seen a scientific study about deja vu, they say it happens because your brain sends your short term memory to the long term memory part of processing, so it gives you the feeling that you have already seen what's happening, but you have just seen it.
Last edited by h2o_guitar at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by h2o_guitar
I've seen a scientific study about deja vu, they say it happens because your brain sends your short term memory to the long term memory part of processing, so it gives you the feeling that you have already seen what's happening, but you have just seen it.

yeah i understand that part but how does that explain the doubling/tripling i have been experiencing?

Quote by Harvey Swick
yeah thats the way i feel. i think shes about to say "and then it broke" so i stop her from saying it.
immediately after i stop her i "remember" that the previous time i DIDNt stop her and once realizing that i "remember" the time before that i DID stop her.

all those "rememberings" and realizations happen one after another in a sequence to fast for me to control.

I think i've had it this way and a more 'normal' feeling of it, if that makes any sense?

Anyway, i always liked the idea that de ja vu was like playing a game with auto save points, and every de ja vu is another auto save, meaning that you've progressed through the level a bit.
haha i love that auto save concept
but maybe you could elaborate on the "normal" feeling of it?

Quote by Harvey Swick
haha i love that auto save concept
but maybe you could elaborate on the "normal" feeling of it?

Like, i've had what i think you're talking about, where you remember the event about to happen? But i've also had it where i don't 'remember' the thing about to take place, i just think of having the same thing happen before. So there's a difference there.
@zoot
i see....so what about the doubling? this is what i am really interested in.

Mental illusion. You'd be surprised what, and how strongly, you can be led to believe something simply because 'my brain says so'.
Just random electrons firing through your pointless animal brain. I bet vultures have deja vu while eating the corpses of the dead.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Mental illusion. You'd be surprised what, and how strongly, you can be led to believe something simply because 'my brain says so'.

sorta like optical illusions right? makes sense....

Quote by ripple07
Just random electrons firing through your pointless animal brain. I bet vultures have deja vu while eating the corpses of the dead.

i agree with this guy..

but surely you could have said that 'bunny rabbits have deja vu while eating carrots' instead of the vulture/corpse , but i guess that sounds more metal
*Insert hilarious quote here.*
Quote by TheLukeMaxfield
i agree with this guy..

but surely you could have said that 'bunny rabbits have deja vu while eating carrots' instead of the vulture/corpse , but i guess that sounds more metal

I don't like metal. Rabbit brains are not capable of deja vu, that is why I defered.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Don't know about you all, but I get Vuja-De all the time. You know, that weird feeling that none of this has ever happened before
I get it a lot. Usually I'll dream I'm walking down the hallways in school withe a specific person and talkin to them. Then in real life maybe the next day or a week later. I'll be walkin down the same hallway, with the same person, saying the same thing as the dream.
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
i heard it's the brain that picks up the situation before you see the signal from your eyes, making you see the situation just after your brain already saw it.

you get the same information twice making it weird. but i'm no scientist this is what i'm told.
Last edited by vince1991 at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by vince1991
i heard it's the brain that picks up the situation before you see the signal from your eyes, making you see the situation just after your brain already saw it.

you get the same information twice making it weird. but i'm no scientist this is what i'm told.

yeah that makes sense. some kind of association technique your brain uses to undrstand familiar situations. that still doesnt explain my doubling.
i think a better way to describe it is "folding over" actually.

Quote by Harvey Swick
@zoot
i see....so what about the doubling? this is what i am really interested in.

Dunno, i think i've had that a bit but i just wanted to point out what seems like a variation. I've had the doubling thing though from what you described. I remember once i had de ja vu every day of the week and at least once a day when i visted Normandy and i hadn't ever been there before, that was pretty interesting.
does anyone elses deja vu have bad consequences? normally when i get deja vu, i just stay quiet, trying to hope that what i've "seen" doesn't happen..
It's your brain having a spasm basically. There's nothing amazing about it, it's just your brain fucking up for a bit. The one thing that really annoys me when I have deja vu I always say "deja vu" and someone says "Why?". WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN WHY? BECAUSE I THOUGHT THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE YOU DAFT SHIT. I used to think I was psychic though when I was like 7 Naivety is brilliant.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
It's your brain having a spasm basically. There's nothing amazing about it, it's just your brain fucking up for a bit. The one thing that really annoys me when I have deja vu I always say "deja vu" and someone says "Why?". WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN WHY? BECAUSE I THOUGHT THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE YOU DAFT SHIT. I used to think I was psychic though when I was like 7 Naivety is brilliant.

And think when they ask, they're wondering which part of whatever happened triggered the feeling.
Quote by blake1221
And think when they ask, they're wondering which part of whatever happened triggered the feeling.

I know they are but it still annoys me for some reason I'm a miserable git.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I have it regularly. Suddenly there's a flash of realization that something has happened before and I have a distinct memory of it and I go WTF IS GOING ON and then move on with life.

Edit: I don't know what is going to happen though. I just have a feeling of a particular moment occurring before. Difficult to explain if you haven't experienced it.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Last edited by chaos13 at Sep 4, 2011,