so my one year old daughter loves television.
she cant get enough. on average she watches 4 hours of tv a day.
all educational shows from Nick Jr. without commercials or advertisements i dont see a problem with it now.
in fact i read somewhere that a child that young with an attention span that focused is a pretty unique thing. just wondering if any parents here in the Pit have experienced this with their own kids at that age.
in the future i can see it developing into a problem but for now she enjoys it and i think it actually gives her some great stimulation for her little noggin.
what do you guys think? parent or not i am sure you have an opinion.

tl;dr my one year old kid watches tv alot. good thing or bad?
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
It really seems like a lot of TV for someone that young. She's one so I don't think she'll understand any of the content, it's just moving flashy colours and shit. I feel like she should be more active, learn motor skills and explore the world like kids usually do at that young age.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Yeah, you should turn the TV off and give her other more age-appropriate toys to play with. At that age she won't be absorbing any of it anyway, so it isn't her attention span, she's probably just sat there in a daze watching the screen move around.
Quote by Kensai
It really seems like a lot of TV for someone that young. She's one so I don't think she'll understand any of the content, it's just moving flashy colours and shit. I feel like she should be more active, learn motor skills and explore the world like kids usually do at that young age.

yeah dont get me wrong she does all that. at her age she has energy for days. i think if we hooked her up to a generator she could power los angeles.

and like i said ON AVERAGE. some days she doesnt watch at all. i do know that she has favorite shows though. she will be more focused on Ni Hao Ki Lan than Wow Wow Wubbzy so i am sure she recognizes the voices and certain characters. eventually i am sure it will evolve further understanding and meaning in her cognitive systems.
it began by us sitting in the living room when she was about six months. she would stop crying and actually stare at the screen for a full 20 minutes. it continues to this day.

Quote by Dirge Humani
Know how I was stimulated when I was a baby?

Shit like this hung above my crib...babies will be stimulated by anything.

i see your point.
if any parents here in the Pit would like to share similar experiences with their children feel free. i am interested in what other parents think about this and what they did with their children.
for those without children do you recall having an "obsession" with certain shows during your childhood? do you feel that impaired you in any way?

I let my daughter watch hours of tv a day, we also go to the park daily, build with block, play dough, color, paint and many other things. It's not how much she's watching but keeping hands on activities in the mix and varieing stimuly.
Quote by Harvey Swick
i see your point.
if any parents here in the Pit would like to share similar experiences with their children feel free. i am interested in what other parents think about this and what they did with their children.
for those without children do you recall having an "obsession" with certain shows during your childhood? do you feel that impaired you in any way?

Almost certainly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3603235.stm

Quote by researchers

Children under two should not be allowed to watch any TV, experts say.

Older children should watch no more than two hours a day, the researchers at the Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Centre in Seattle said. Each hour in front of the TV increased a child's chances of attention deficit disorder by 10%, their research in the Pediatrics journal showed.

The study of 1,345 children showed three hours TV a day made children 30% more likely to have the disorder.

Children who were exposed to the unrealistic levels of stimulation at a young age continued to expect this in later life, leading to difficulty dealing with the slower pace of school and homework, he said.

"TV can cause the developing mind to experience unnatural levels of stimulation," he said.

This was made worse by the rapid image change that television makers used to keep young children interested, Dr Christakis added.

Parents were questioned about their children's viewing habits and asked to rate their behaviour at age seven on a scale similar to that used to diagnose attention deficit disorders.

The youngsters who watched the most television were more likely to rank within the top 10% for concentration problems, impulsiveness, restlessness and being easily confused.

So, yeah. Switch it off and give her some attention yourself.
Just wait until she's older and she'll learn to stimulate herself.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Tell her to get a damn job. The t.v. rots your brain, you know.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
i see your point guys. i especially liked Mistress_Ibanez's contribution. i am going to delete her recordings of her "programs" and see if she notices the lack of cartoons.
i will let you know how it goes...

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Almost certainly.
So, yeah. Switch it off and give her some attention yourself.

I'm gounna second this: TV really isn't that great for you. educational programs are okay, but they really won't sink in for a few years yet. I've stopped watching and it's done me a world of good. When I was a kid I watched far too much - I never went out and now I'm fairly antisocial. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have happened if I didn't have the TV there.

Also, Kids need to get stimulation from their environment, not from the TV. If she keeps watching, when she's 3-5 years old, and you take that TV away when she doesn't want to, she'll go apeshit.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal

Through books and art and lively discussions with her peers, creepo.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Through books and art and lively discussions with her peers, creepo.

This is The Pit: everything is an euphemism here
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
My daughter [she's around five years old] is more interested in books than television. Sure, they're mostly picture books, but it's still a good sign, I think.
TS joined this year. Joiners are usually 12. So TS had a child at the age of 11 and had sex at the age of 10. Well done TS, next time use a condom.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
TS joined this year. Joiners are usually 12. So TS had a child at the age of 11 and had sex at the age of 10. Well done TS, next time use a condom.

i did but the condom couldnt ignore my girth

Quote by Harvey Swick
i did but the condom couldnt ignore my girth

So you are saying your child is an accident. How can you live with yourself?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
So you are saying your child is an accident. How can you live with yourself?

very easily. haha why should i feel bad if she was an "accident"?

kids can learn a lot from tv that's true personally i think 4 hours is a lot but as long as you let it play outside and can practice it's technical skills (like crawling picking things up and putting them down in a certain way,...) like with toys, i see no problem.

my little brother watched a lot of tv to but also did a lot of those things and it worked out fine. he's 6 now.
Quote by vince1991
kids can learn a lot from tv that's true personally i think 4 hours is a lot but as long as you let it play outside and can practice it's technical skills (like crawling picking things up and putting them down in a certain way,...) like with toys, i see no problem.

my little brother watched a lot of tv to but also did a lot of those things and it worked out fine. he's 6 now.

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11

what? something wrong with it?

i'm sorry in my language it's 'het kind' (the child) and 'het' is translated to 'it'.
we say 'het ... ' and continue without 'child' to avoid repeatance in a sentence. in english it does not work out so well. it's habit.
Yeah you should probably try to get her more well rounded - heck, introduce her to an instrument =p

Today it's nickelodeon and Dora. Tomorrow it's Jersey Shore and Snookie.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Quote by Harvey Swick
very easily. haha why should i feel bad if she was an "accident"?

You just know she's going to google that in a few years...
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Harvey Swick

in fact i read somewhere that a child that young with an attention span that focused is a pretty unique thing.

There's nothing impressive about being able to sit in front of children's TV without losing your attention. You're talking about a one year old, who is constantly amazed by new things, watching kids' TV, where nothing stays on the screen for more than a couple of seconds, and where everything is loud, is expressive, and is all very brightly colored. Kids' TV is designed to hold kids' attention just like the TV adults watch is designed to hold their attention.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Four hours is well above average in that age group.
There hasn't been much airtight research carried out on the effects of television due to the massive amount of confounding variables that would influence any outcomes, but generally it's accepted that TV isn't a substitute for social interaction at least.
Educational programmes produce a pretty limited effect, especially at that age. Kids won't learn, for example, to speak from watching television, because learning to speak requires social interaction (most obviously learning turn taking behaviour etc).

I'd say that four hours is probably excessive at that age, but provided you're spending lots of time with her and not using TV as a substitute for real interaction, it's probably not too bad.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by ErikLensherr

olololo
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

I don't even know how I ended up in this thread.

I don't remember opening it, and it's from ages ago.

I'm so lost right now.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
My daughter [she's around five years old] is more interested in books than television. Sure, they're mostly picture books, but it's still a good sign, I think.

Since when does the Hriday have a child?

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm