Do I have to? Because since I started guitar lessons ive barely used one and that was nearly over 2 years ago. It just feels so much more natural and comfortable for me to play with out one, and im faster without one aswell.

I also hate the sound of a pick scratching against the strings
Look at people like Mark Knopfler (probably spelt wrong) and Jeff Beck. Im fairly sure neither of them used picks, but are they are both amazing players, do what feels natural and sounds best for you and your style
Whatever suits you, but it may depend on what you are playing, my friend didnt use a pick for a few years but when he began playing more seriously he found a pick far easier for alternative picking and playing fast stuff
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Depends on the genre

Edit:

and please don't do this just because it seems so much cooler to play with bare hands, I had come across a few guitarist like that, needless to say, they can't play for shit
Depending on the genre you play you may find it easier to use a pick, but if you feel you play better with your fingers then just use your fingers. :3
Quote by jkielq91
guitar playing has no rules..

This.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Of course you can. I did it for my first year, but then learned to play properly with the pick as well. Far more versatility.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Take advantage of the fact that you can fingerpick and learn how to use the pick on your own time (and only if you need to, for the sound you want to make). I started off like you, fingerpicking came much more natural to me, and today I can use the pick just as easily whereas lots of guitarists can't fingerpick for sh*t :P
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
Using a pick is a way of expanding your style and technique, expanding your abilities = win. Of course it depends on whether you want to or not but it'll help you gain more licks and abilities so give it a go, that's what I'd do
Quote by Zeletros
Depends on the genre

Edit:

and please don't do this just because it seems so much cooler to play with bare hands, I had come across a few guitarist like that, needless to say, they can't play for shit

I know what you mean by that. I play how anyone would play with a pick but without one if that makes sense? I can alt. pick and do all that stuff, it just feels a lot more comfortable for me to do it since ive done it for so long. And normally when I use a pick I have trouble hitting just the one string, but i can do it easily without it.
Important question. Can you sweep without a pick?

That's really the only technique I can think of where this might be a problem. You could probably slowly rake your fingers over, but the angle I'm picturing it at doesn't seem to be conducive for muting unwanted noise.

Quote by Distorter
I know what you mean by that. I play how anyone would play with a pick but without one if that makes sense? I can alt. pick and do all that stuff, it just feels a lot more comfortable for me to do it since ive done it for so long. And normally when I use a pick I have trouble hitting just the one string, but i can do it easily without it.

I mean no offense.

It seems like you're avoiding using a pick because it's just easier to stay with using your fingers. I think it's cool if you just like using your fingers, but if it's indeed where you'd just like to stay with your own "tried and true" method, you might really wish to reconsider.
Last edited by triface at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by triface
Important question. Can you sweep without a pick?

That's really the only technique I can think of where this might be a problem. You could probably slowly rake your fingers over, but the angle I'm picturing it at doesn't seem to be conducive for muting unwanted noise.

I mean no offense.

It seems like you're avoiding using a pick because it's just easier to stay with using your fingers. I think it's cool if you just like using your fingers, but if it's indeed where you'd just like to stay with your own "tried and true" method, you might really wish to reconsider.

Umm I probably couldn't sweep even if I did play with a pick :P I know people that can, but those people are absolutely freaks on the guitar. And although I don't like to admit it, I have been avoiding using a pick for a while because I don't want to feel like im going backwards with my playing by learning what I already can do without one.

I honestly wish I could play better with a pick, I guess I just have to practice it like I did without one.

And I don't take any offence