I just snapped my 6th string, so the time for new ones is nigh. I've been using Ernie Ball "Skinny Top Heavy Bottom" 10-52's, playing in Drop D with a bit of Drop C. I sometimes find the 6th string to be a little tense in Drop D, and I found the "Power Slinky" 11-48's, which have slightly thicker 1st to 3rd strings, but also slightly thinner 4th-6th strings (if you couldn't tell already), particularly the 6th, which is of greatest interest to me. What I want to know is whether the PS set will be too loose for Drop C (and also Drop B, which I'd like to try at some point)? I prefer to avoid very heavy tension if at all possible (the STHB's were good besides the 6th, if not a tiny bit light), so with Drop B in mind, would the Power Slinkies be the best set all-round for my interests (I'm aware that the 6th PS string is thicker again than the one I just popped)? I have an imitation Strat, if it's of any help to anyone for some reason, planning on a new guitar around Chrissie. Cheers
I use Power Slinky 11s in drop B and drop A on my ESP LTD and they arnt too loose for me... But then its personal preference! Some people prefer loose strings. I prefer really tense strings on Drop C, D and Standard so I cant really help on those tunings...
IMHO, the skinny top heavy bottom set will be better for those lower drop tunings than the Power Slinky set.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.