Hello, I need a little help on which 7-string guitar to buy EXCLUSIVELY FOR METAL, I have always been a prog rock guy but lately I've been experimenting heavy metal and I thought of buying a 7-string which I tried one once and I really liked it. Obviously I would normally test every guitar I could till deciding, but the thing is I live in Brazil (where finding an EPIPHONE for sale is a miracle). So you guys are gonna have to help me out here on which one to buy since I will get it on ebay, just consider:

1) I want 7-STRING A METAL GUITAR, so I guess EMG pickups? Don't know since I have always been a gibson guy but ignore that.

2) Since I want a metal guitar, I would prefer a heavy metal look you know? Like those X-shaped guitars that kinda look evil and exotic. (sound is always more important but looks are essential for concerts)

3) Again, I plan buying it on ebay perhaps (trust me I know how to use ebay, so I know when a seller is trustworthy or not). Could be an used guitar, but I play spendin 650 DOLLARS tops.

So that's it, thanks for the help and sorry for any grammar mistakes!
Last edited by RockJohnnyBrol at Sep 4, 2011,
ibanez xiphos 7 string, bc rich mark rizzo 7 string stealth, any schecter 7 string.
the xiphos is nice, and the bc rich too but almost everybody says they suck, what do you think?
ibanez xiphos 7 string, bc rich mark rizzo 7 string stealth, any schecter 7 string.

^ Pretty good examples

Also think about if you want a floating trem system or a fixed bridge. Otherwise a cheap great 7 string for br00talz would be http://espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/horizon-nt7.html

I think there is an MH-417 which I have personally played and is string-thru with a satin finish for 650$ Great guitar.
But remember, it's all about the amp =P
Quote by Almightynikita

I think there is an MH-417 which I have personally played and is string-thru with a satin finish for 650$ Great guitar.

wow forgot about the esp ltds, they are great too and invariably come with EMGs.

to TS, a lot of people talk down BC rich - myself included - coz their quality control isn't the best, but in terms of crazy shapes that look metal, that is where their niche is. The higher end BC riches are quite good, the low end stuff is horrible - when comparing to guitars in the same price range
I am a huge advocate for Schecter guitars. I picked up a C7 Hellraiser this past winter and it has been nothing but a pleasure to play. The EMGs react slightly different than the 81s and 89s in my C1H, but that slight difference is great.

The strings that came with the C7H were too small on the lower end. If you plan on playing standard BEADGBE, you'll be fine. However, if you plan on playing anything lower, even half step, I would recommend going with a 10-54 6-string set (Skinny top, heavy bottom) and a single 70 for the lowest string.

The Tonepro bridge model (non FR) is very easy to adjust and set intonation. My Floyd Rose models are slightly more time consuming to adjust, but not difficult by any means. Maybe a little frustrating at time, but not difficult. I generally leave FR models in a single tuning so I don't have to continually adjust the spring tension or action to my liking. The Tonepro model is obviously more forgiving and therefore easier to tune to anything you want without much for consequences.

Price-wise, I think the Schecter is the best bang for the buck. Sure, it's a super-strat style body but it's functional and not bulky like those spiky BC Riches. Personally, I've never been a fan of the Warlock/Beast body style. It adds nothing to functionality. You can find a C7H for $799 new at Guitar Center, but EASILY talk them down to $650 like I did. Used, they go for around $450 on Craiglist and eBay.

I have tried other 7 strings as well, but the Schecter C7H was my favorite in terms of playability, sound, and ease of use. Agile also makes excellent 7 strings. Before I got the C7H, I was looking at a Prestige-model Ibanez 7, and when I played them A/B I just preferred the Schecter. I might recommend looking at the Jeff Loomis model as well.
Quote by gman128

to TS, a lot of people talk down BC rich - myself included - coz their quality control isn't the best, but in terms of crazy shapes that look metal, that is where their niche is. The higher end BC riches are quite good, the low end stuff is horrible - when comparing to guitars in the same price range

I agree. You get what you pay for. The plywood models just aren't going to perform nicely, and most of the electronics and hardware aren't genuine. Sure, they're licensed, but they are commodity versions.
Quote by CV334
Sure, it's a super-strat style body but it's functional and not bulky like those spiky BC Riches.

I agree with you, I'm an ibanez RG/RGA fan who loves superstrats of all types, and doesn't get on with funky shaped guitars. But that is what TS wants, something that plays well, but looks a bit crazy and metal as well. I think i used ibanez xiphos would fit the bill, or now that esp are doing an ltd 7 string flying V, that should also be considered.
Quote by RockJohnnyBrol
the xiphos is nice, and the bc rich too but almost everybody says they suck, what do you think?

I have the the Xiphos 7. And love it dearly. Only thing I hate on it is it's crappy bridge, which will soon be replaced with a floating trem.

I want the BC Rich Rizzo. Have played it, love it, other than the pickups. Still, I'd be willing to buy it and swap it out for an 81-7X bridge and a 707TWX neck.

They're both great guitars, main difference is the really thin neck of the ibby and the slightly thicker neck of the Rizzo.

And where did you get that the Rizzo sucks? A couple SS.org members love it, and I've heard little hate on it, other than its pickups.

Other guitars you could consider that are 7 strings with a wild shape is the Schecter Hellraiser V-7, and the DBZ Bird of Prey 7. I want the DBZ. ( not Dragon Ball Z btw )

Edit : I'll add a +1 to the LTD V. There's also the Explorer shaped one. Both in 7's.

Edit 2 : How could I forget Agile. Yes, they're great guitars. Go for the Ghost or the Hornet as you posted. The part that you can choose between 25.5 and 27 inch scale is another plus too.
Last edited by Syriel at Sep 4, 2011,
No no, I meant actually that people hate on B.C Rich itself, not the Rizzo (which by the way I found it a very cool guitar but a little above my budget), and I think now that the V-7 is perfect, too bad it ain't on ebay. I guess I gotta wait
Quote by Syriel
And where did you get that the Rizzo sucks? A couple SS.org members love it, and I've heard little hate on it, other than its pickups.

I think people who haven't played any BCs assume they are all bad based on the bashing they receive - which is aimed at their dire lower end models. I think their artist series - more mid to high end (usually) should be perfectly good and be checked over a lot better.

It's a shame, but consistency is what makes or brakes a brand name, and BC just aren't consistent - Same with Dean guitars