What type of condenser mic would be best suited for solo acoustic guitar recordings?
I go with a large diaphragm at the bottom of the neck and a small diaphragm pointed over my left shoulder at the middle of the neck. Kind of helps to pick up the high end better, and then I just mix it until it sounds good. It's just personal preference though, acoustics are one thing that aren't too terribly hard to get to sound decent. Just remember, you probably need less low-end sound than you think. It's easy to make them sound boomy.

As for brands, there are tons and tons of good condenser mics. I'd just say to stay away from the cheap MXLs.
Quote by CrossBack7
I go with a large diaphragm at the bottom of the neck and a small diaphragm pointed over my left shoulder at the middle of the neck. Kind of helps to pick up the high end better, and then I just mix it until it sounds good. It's just personal preference though, acoustics are one thing that aren't too terribly hard to get to sound decent. Just remember, you probably need less low-end sound than you think. It's easy to make them sound boomy.

As for brands, there are tons and tons of good condenser mics. I'd just say to stay away from the cheap MXLs.

ok well what if I only wanted to use one mic? Which one would be better? Also I don't really understand the difference between small and large diaphragm...but someone told me small diaphragm would be better than large? And could you recommend any brands or models? Sorry about all the questions but I'm very curious and you seem knowledgeable
Quote by Afroboy267
Budget?

I don't have one currently, I was thinking I'd figure out what I want and then save up...but I'd like to be less that 1000
Quote by emily92
I don't have one currently, I was thinking I'd figure out what I want and then save up...but I'd like to be less that 1000

Ok, that gives you a lot of options.

What equipment do you currently have? Interface/soundcard? Computer? DAW? What kind of music are you recording?

It might be worth spreading the budget around if the others arn't upto par.
Quote by Afroboy267
Ok, that gives you a lot of options.

What equipment do you currently have? Interface/soundcard? Computer? DAW? What kind of music are you recording?

It might be worth spreading the budget around if the others arn't upto par.

computer is a windows 7. the soundcard I'm using is the one that came with it...not sure what kind that is. Don't have an interface as of yet but I was thinking protools m box?
Yeah, i'd get an interface first as you'll need phantom power to use a condenser mic.

With your computer whats the Spec? Like CPU, RAM, Harddrive size, etc

A DAW is the programme you record to on the computer like Reaper, Cubase, Logic, etc. But i guess if you're getting an M-Box then it'll be Pro tools I guess.

As for a condenser mic in that price range i'll let someone else answer as I don't know much about mics that arn't budget ones.
If I had just one mic? A large-diaphragm condenser, probably into a valve pre-amp. If I had two? A stereo pair (in XY config.) of small-diaphragm condensers, like the Rode NT5's or Neumann KM184's.

Also, I advise against the M-Box - the older ones suck ba!!s, and the newer ones are too overpriced (and for a similar price, my Apogee Duet would wipe the floor with them in both preamps and conversion quality). Also, if it's the older version then the Pro Tools they come with is pants - just a limited/crippled version of 'real' Pro Tools; the newer M-Box with PT9 comes in at quite a price compared to other interfaces + Reaper, which would be a better bet for someone quite new to this.

And it would help if you were to enlighten us as to what currency you use - "around 1000" could be anything from budget Behringer/CAD mics (if in Yen) to AKG C-414/used Neumann TLM territory if Pound Sterling or Euro's.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
If I had just one mic? A large-diaphragm condenser, probably into a valve pre-amp. If I had two? A stereo pair (in XY config.) of small-diaphragm condensers, like the Rode NT5's or Neumann KM184's.

Also, I advise against the M-Box - the older ones suck ba!!s, and the newer ones are too overpriced (and for a similar price, my Apogee Duet would wipe the floor with them in both preamps and conversion quality). Also, if it's the older version then the Pro Tools they come with is pants - just a limited/crippled version of 'real' Pro Tools; the newer M-Box with PT9 comes in at quite a price compared to other interfaces + Reaper, which would be a better bet for someone quite new to this.

And it would help if you were to enlighten us as to what currency you use - "around 1000" could be anything from budget Behringer/CAD mics (if in Yen) to AKG C-414/used Neumann TLM territory if Pound Sterling or Euro's.

Isn't Apogee Mac exclusive? But with a $1000 budget you can get some serious gear, I'd suggest doing a lot of research on your own, not just listening to people here.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
Isn't Apogee Mac exclusive? But with a $1000 budget you can get some serious gear, I'd suggest doing a lot of research on your own, not just listening to people here.

Yeah, I was only making a point about the M-Box being a rip-off compared to other interfaces
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I wouldn't get an Mbox, but for the mic, I would most definitely get a Bluebird. They're crazy good on acoustics (and a fair amount of voices) for the money. Without getting more than one mic, I believe that will be your best option along with whatever interface you get for under $1,000
You might find the an acoustic is going to sound alot better when it is recorded in stereo, with two mics. If you dont have another mic then try and record the direct signal to see if can be useful. What type of music are we talking about here?