I tried playing 'Under A Violet Moon' by Blackmore's Night.
While fretting the barre chords I get a pain in my thumb, so I am forced to stop and move it around for awhile.

Does this happen to anyone else? And how do I fix this problem?

Thanks,
Hey man, yeah I always used to get it. It's just from pushing down on the back of the neck with your thumb. The muscle in your thumb just gets weak and you have to rest it. Don't worry, it'll go away once your thumb gets used to it and builds muscle.
Your fret hand is too tense, most likely. It'll cramp if you have to keep consistent pressure if you're gripping too hard.

That's my guess, anyway.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Mauzer1337
Hey man, yeah I always used to get it. It's just from pushing down on the back of the neck with your thumb. The muscle in your thumb just gets weak and you have to rest it. Don't worry, it'll go away once your thumb gets used to it and builds muscle.

That's the weird part.. I've been playing for 2 years now, I practise everyday for atleast 2 hours. If it is supposed to build muscle shouldn't it have done so by now?

But maybe, it's just because I don't play barre chords much.
Last edited by MaddMann274 at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by MaddMann274

But maybe, it's just because I don't play barre chords much.

Probably...

Even now when I start in on new techniques there is usually some minor discomfort and awkwardness in the beginning (and I've been playing for years and years).

Just make sure that the pain doesn't persist and get significantly worse over time. You should NOT be feeling anything like nerve or joint pain. The only "good" pain is that from muscle fatigue, otherwise you may want to change the technique so as to avoid potentially causing permanent damage.
It must have taken me about two to three years to not have that ache in my thumb anymore. It was purely caused from fretting too hard and strangling the neck. My thumb barely touches the back of the neck nowadays, and no more pains. Just work on having a lighter touch.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221