Quickly, before I get shouted at for ignoring the FAQ advice:

I'm a student moving to Berlin to study Literature, Music and Film. Although the FAQ on the forum is very helpful, the theory that I learn in preparation for my course will have to cover the entire field of music, rather than just learning it from a guitarist's perspective. I'm also not entirely sure how often I'll have access to the webz, so some book suggestions would be great.

Which brings me to my question - what good websites/books/reading materials would you guys recommend for someone who knows very little musical theory? I need to have the general gist of this stuff down before my term starts, which is in about 6 weeks. I'd appreciate material that's clear, concise and easy to understand, something that teaches you what theory is as well as how to apply it to playing an instrument (I know what I wrote earlier about the guitar-perspective thing, but on the other hand if you guys also know of any other guitarist-orientated theory guides, that would be a huge bonus ).

Thanks!
- Ibanez SA220
- LTD EC-1000
- Marshall MG100DFX
- Blackstar HT-Dual Distortion Pedal
- Marshall Jackhammer Distortion/Overdrive Pedal
- EHX Cathedral Reverb Pedal
- Boss PW-10 Wah
- Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
- Boss TU-3 Tuner
have you checked out any of the lessons on this site? some of them are pretty good
I have actually picked up a book titled "The Everything Music Theory Book" and it is so good, I actually cannot put it down, I highly recommend it, and if your dedicated you can get through it in Six weeks while getting the gist of it.

It covers everything from intervals all the way down to Jazz Harmony, not the most advanced book but you will understand Theory and how it applies to music.

Forget about websites, books are so much better for assimilating information in my opinion.
Last edited by fendabenda at Sep 4, 2011,
an add 9 will still have the distance of a major second on a keyboard, flute or organ.
That's the whole thing about MUSIC not guitar theory.
If your ear is good, buy "Harmony and Theory" by Keith Wyatt et al.

If your ear is only so-so (you can't quickly pick out melodies by ear, or recognize chord progressions) get "Ear Training" by the same authors. You'll learn a lot of theory in that book, but they teach it to you in the context of teaching you to hear it, which is what really matters.
Music theory is music theory. 'nuff said.

The FAQ may be geared towards guitar players, but its still just music theory. a half step will always be a half step, a quarter note will always be a quarter note. A palm mute... oh wait...

Edit: no ones yet recommended it? www.musictheory.net

I only hear good things about it.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
Music theory is music theory. 'nuff said.

The FAQ may be geared towards guitar players, but its still just music theory. a half step will always be a half step, a quarter note will always be a quarter note. A palm mute... oh wait...

Edit: no ones yet recommended it? www.musictheory.net

I only hear good things about it.

You explained it better than I did .
Saywah,

Our Academy teaches theory which is guitar specific but can be applied to any instrument, but it's not a book, its a series of online courses. Being as you have limited exposure to the net as you said, I'd be concerned with what we do being suitable for you. If you were a hard worker and diligent about getting things down, I might be more optimistic on your 6 week time line (but you'd have to seriously practice and study), but your exposure to the internet, is a concern. Nonetheless, if you'd like a free mentor to help you establish a plan of self study (no teaching just some advice and guidance) feel free to send me a message in my profile here at UG and I'll do my best to help.

Best,

Sean