Hi there, I've been playing metal for years but have recently moved into the metalcore scene. I'm looking for a pedal that will give me a high gain, similar to Bullet For My Valentine. I'm running Ibanez RG's with the stock pickups and Jackson Rhoads with EMG pickups installed through a Crate GLX212.

I don't trust the useless f**ks at guitar center, half of them don't even play guitar, and my local shop is a scam paradise, 400$ for a crappy entry level squire bullet, you've got to be f**king the doornail.

So everyone's been telling me to get either the Ibanez Tube screamer (although I have no idea WHICH model to get) or the Zakk Wylde distortion. I also really like the TC Electronics Dark matter distortion, but it doesn't exactly sound quite right enough for metalcore.
Quote by rockthehaus
Boss Metal Zone, insane in the membrane

Ignore that...
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Tube screamer is an overdrive and not a "high gain" distortion pedal. That won't work for what you are after.

Just go to GC and plug a guitar in and play through some pedals. That what GC is good for!

MXR fullbore, Zakk wylde, dime distortion, etc, see what they have in stock and compare.
New amp. Using a pedal for metal as your main focus is dumb.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by R45VT
Tube screamer is an overdrive and not a "high gain" distortion pedal. That won't work for what you are after.

Just go to GC and plug a guitar in and play through some pedals. That what GC is good for!

MXR fullbore, Zakk wylde, dime distortion, etc, see what they have in stock and compare.

My Guitar Center nor does the local shop let you try pedals, it's either a guitar, amp, or a boot in the ass out the door.

Quote by MatrixClaw
New amp. Using a pedal for metal as your main focus is dumb.

The amp I have now I bought 3 weeks ago because it sounded as close to metal as I could get for 200$. Fender Mustang II is what I was going with, but I couldn't pass up 120 watts for a cheaper price, not to mention the Mustang II doesn't exactly have the greatest presets for metal.
Last edited by Greatdude49 at Sep 4, 2011,
Get a new amp?
The peavey I have can get you to BFMV easily.
Boss Metal Core + good treble booster and EQ pedal can do you good on any clean amp I think...
Quote by Greatdude49

The amp I have now I bought 3 weeks ago because it sounded as close to metal as I could get for 200$. Fender Mustang II is what I was going with, but I couldn't pass up 120 watts for a cheaper price, not to mention the Mustang II doesn't exactly have the greatest presets for metal.

Well, sorry to be the party pooper, but, too bad?

The only advice I can give you is not to waste any cash on pedals and save cash until you can afford a good metal amp. Peavey XXX combos can be found used between $300 and $400. Good luck.