Hey,

The time has come for me to invest in a fuzz pedal. One of the guys who works at our practice studio recommended me a zvex mastotron and a death by audio fuzz war pedal. I play an Ibanez bass through an Ashdown Mag 300 amp, in a pretty loud rock band if that's any help. Anyone have any opinion/experience on either of these pedals?

Cheers!
Honestly, you can't go wrong with a Big Muff on bass (Sovtek model might benefit the band better)
Base MUFF, plus base crybaby equals ear sex.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Wounded Paw Attack Goat is pretty good.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by ClickSwitch
Honestly, you can't go wrong with a Big Muff on bass (Sovtek model might benefit the band better)

I've been cautiously looking for a sovtek muff pedal, but don't seem to be having too much luck. any idea as to price/availability?
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
I have a Big Muff Pi and it serves it's purpose quite well. Simple yet awesome.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Bass Big muff is good cause it has the bass boost function as well so it pretty much sounds like you're playing with it on and with it off at the same time (if that makes sense) The russian Muff's pretty good in it's own right, I had one of those for about a week and it sounded fantastic for bass and guitar, the generic Big Muff Pi (which I've also used a decent amount, I use my friends/schools stuff before buying anything) is great, but a little lacking on the low end (at least compared to the other two)
Russian Big Muff. Best fuzz ever. If you want testicles in your tone, you can't go wrong with the Russian Big Muff. Hard to find, though.
Personally I dislike the Bass Big Muff, it does exactly what it says and shifts a bassy fuzz.

But the end result of that sounds like a wet fart. Where as my Micro Big Muff has the power to shake buildings.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by badgerific
Zvex wooly mammoth (or a clone) is a nice bass fuzz. My favorite bass fuzz is a modded big muff though.

What exactly do you mod if you do it yourself?

I have a russian big muff that needs repairs so I have it open already

To the TS, Russian big muffs are all different shapes and colors and sizes, what the difference is, idk but of course rare always means sounds better and costs more (even if it doesn't sound better or even different). All russian big muffs are discontinued. When I think big muff I think the last most popular iteration, the black with yellow writing one. I got mine in a pawn shop a little over a year ago for $40, and people said mixed things about them as with any piece of equipment. Now they are discontinued, and my craigslist has them going from $80-$240 because it's the must have classic sound now. I guess what I am getting at is they are good pedals, but in my opinion I'd never pay over $100 for one unless I knew I had to have one and the prices would only go up.
big muff has the nice option of blending your fuzz and your normal tone, i have a bushy bison which is a woolly mammoth clone
ive owned a woolly mammoth clone and it was really thick and fuzzy, it did fuzz great. but i ened up selling it after buying a blackouteffectors fix'd fuzz
personally like the tones i can get out of it and its more versatile.
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
I use a bushy bison which, as bass first said, is a woolly mammoth clone. A damn good british made one at that.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Any of these are acceptable

Russian Sovtek Big Muff, comes in a wooden box with cyrillic writing all over it, it sounds so damn fine. If I was ever in a bind and had to pawn instruments/amps this is the one thing I would keep no questions asked. You can find old ampeg stuff all day long on craigslist but this? naw dude.

ZVEX Wooly Mammoth
Prescription Electronics Depth Charge
FUZZROCIOUS Grey Stache

There's also a cool blog called bassfuzz you might wanna check out.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Sep 8, 2011,
For those of us in the UK, there's a Russian Big Muff Pi going on ebay: http://bit[.]ly/n5N1nd
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
I have a Sovtek Big Muff and a Fuzz Face (silicon, germanium is garbage) and they both sound amazing. the Big Muff is crunchy without much coloration, the fuzz face is kind of a soft fuzz but with an extremely dark sound.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E