Just had an odd and perhaps stupid idea...

I'm finishing my last summer build and came across a supplier that sells 10, 15, and 20 meg audio pots. (You can probably guess where this is going.) What would any of these values sound like if they were put in a guitar? Has anyone tried it?
I would definitely not do that. Even 1 megs get pretty brittle and shrill on most guitars.
^So higher the pot value, the sharper the tone?

My H51 sounds very dark and muffled, much much darker than my MH100.
Think changing out the pot will have a effect?
And what pot are we talking about here, volume or tone?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^So higher the pot value, the sharper the tone?

My H51 sounds very dark and muffled, much much darker than my MH100.
Think changing out the pot will have a effect?
And what pot are we talking about here, volume or tone?

The higher the pot value on your volume pots, the sharper, and more it'll push the preamp. I have a 1 meg on as my Volume on my Strat, and my Painkiller(super bright pickup) sounds excellent with it, but I have very dark amps.

I wouldn't push it past 1 meg though, it would get rather brittle as has already been said...1 Meg is just fine.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The higher the pot value on your volume pots, the sharper, and more it'll push the preamp. I have a 1 meg on as my Volume on my Strat, and my Painkiller(super bright pickup) sounds excellent with it, but I have very dark amps.

I wouldn't push it past 1 meg though, it would get rather brittle as has already been said...1 Meg is just fine.

Ive just discovered my next add on
You prolly wont hear much of a difference above1M or so, as this is already an extremely light load on the pups. Can you post a link to the site? I need some high value pots but have a hard time finding anything above 1M.
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/470/Potentiometers/2.html

I'm actually going to try two 10 meg A pots, just to see what happens.

GS: on some pots, the value might be stamped on the back. On others, you'll have to take them out of the guitar and look above the shaft. The value is usually in either one place or the other. If you can't find the value in either spot, you could also test them with a multimeter.
Last edited by madworld477 at Sep 4, 2011,
it's not going to make a difference over 1 meg.

the pot is in parallel with the load resistor at the input of whatever it's going into.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
it's not going to make a difference over 1 meg. the pot is in parallel with the load resistor at the input of whatever it's going into.
this post made me realize we may both be wrong. So a typical pulldown resistor is 1M, then with a 10M pot the total res. is about 910k, vs 500k with a 1M pot. 500k pots give about 333k, and 250k pots give 200k.