Poll: Would you rather grow up with your parents divorced or wait until you were older?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you rather grow up with your parents divorced or wait until you were older?
Grow Up
54 42%
Older
46 36%
TS has no friends, this thread is a lie
29 22%
Voters: 129.
Page 1 of 2
So, over the summer my parents got divorced. Which sucked, and I was talking to one of my friends who's parents are also divorced. Mine were divorced recently but his were when he was about 4. So the question is, if this is something that you had (or already have) would you rather is be when you were really young or a teenager?
you're a stone fox
My parents divorced when I was eight (ish...). I'm 22 now, so quite a while ago! I voted "grow up".
I think if they divorce when you're little, you don't really know what's going on as much, and you'll probably forget most of it anyway! Better that way, I think.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
It's better when you're younger. At least, I think. My parents divorced when I was 13, so it was a bit more impacting than it was on my siblings evidently. It totally changed my life, because I ended up having to move and all kinds of stuff.
I'm in exactly the same situation as you OP. I think I'm glad they waited until I now (I'm moving out later this month) because I would have found it difficult to cope with a few years back.
Quote by SlayingDragons
It's better when you're younger. At least, I think. My parents divorced when I was 13, so it was a bit more impacting than it was on my siblings evidently. It totally changed my life, because I ended up having to move and all kinds of stuff.

Yer I couldn't agree more with SlayingDragons as my parent divorced at 14 and it screwed me up for lots of years after.

Thinking that I wouldn't be used by both parents to get at each other because I was to young sounds good to me. Also I would have less chance of remembering it!
Burny LG75-GR
Epi SG Pro 1966 Ltd Ed
PRS Angelus SE Custom

Korg Pandora effect unit (for practising)
Slash CryBaby
Blackstar HT-5
Korg RC2 Looooooper
My divorced when I was 5. I'm 16 now. I'm going with younger because with all the issues and problems I've been going through these past two years I would've completely snapped and lost it.
Yeah I'd have to go with younger. I'm 27 now, my parents got divorced when I was 6 and my brother was 12, and I really didn't care all that much, but it seemed to effect my brother negatively. My parents sat us both down and told us what was going on, but since my brother was already at the puberty/adolescent portion of his life, I think he had a harder time dealing with it.
I would rather them divorce when I am older and can understand why they are getting a divorce instead of being a kid and missing out on having a nuclear family.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by MakinLattes
The sooner the better.

This x1000

Having parents that fight a ton as a kid sucks so hard.
Quote by Weaponized
This x1000

Having parents that fight a ton as a kid sucks so hard.

I also agree. Witnessing a fight and actually trying to break it up sucks so much. I was five so I can see why it didn't work.
Depends.

I might if they divorce when you're a kid, you don't understand and are probably more likely to blame yourself.
However if they divorce when you're older you can understand it all.

I don't really know...
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by xShade
I also agree. Witnessing a fight and actually trying to break it up sucks so much. I was five so I can see why it didn't work.

I tried to that sometimes, but I couldn't yell as loud as them.
Quote by Weaponized

I tried to that sometimes, but I couldn't yell as loud as them.

I had some cheap whistle they bought me and I tried blowing it to get their attention but I was carried and put into another room. Yelling didn't work.
My parents divorced when i was 6. I'd rather they do it young so as not to waste their time or mine. Can I has a hug?
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by son_of_bodom
My parents divorced when i was 6. I'd rather they do it young so as not to waste their time or mine. Can I has a hug?

My parents got divorced when I was 8 or 9. I think it was a good thing on reflection: why suffer?
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I would learn to deal with it either way, but I think it would be easier now than younger. Not for everybody, but for me. I don't mean this in an angsty "lol **** my parents" way, but I don't care if they divorce or not. They should do whatever works for them.
It's easier to deal with when you're older, I know this because my parents broke up when I was 6 and it took me months to get used to, then when my Dad and his girlfriend broke up when I was 14 it took me a day or two and I just got used to it. But I'd definitely rather them break up than be fighting all the time, not that I actually witnessed any of it because my dad's girlfriend kicked him out for no apparent reason. Then again if you're very young like around 2 like my brother was, he didn't understand that they broke up until he had to start going to different houses. But yeah sorry mate, it sucks, but like anything else you just have to deal with it.
My name is Jack.
Last edited by Kill0Switch at Sep 4, 2011,
That's rough man, I'm sorry to hear that.

My parents divorced when I was pretty young. It's all I've really known. The divorce itself was pretty mutual ("Well fuck, this isn't gonna work, is it?"). They still have a pretty amicable relationship. It hasn't really affected me much, inasmuch as it's all I've known.
My parents were never even together. I was a mistake.

I don't even know what it's like to grow up with parents

Luckily I had my grandmother there for me, though, may she rest in peace.
My parents divorced when I was 1.5 years old, so the divorced situation is way more natural for me then those creepy homes where people live with a mom and a dad.

All my friends parents are divorced aswell (lol) now that i think about it.

But in Belgium 7/10 people divorce after a while, so

Blame it on women equality :p
my parents are in the middle of this, but im like 18 so i dont care. i wish they had divorced when i was like 10, cause they hate each other and they would have been better off that way. there isnt one correct answer to a question like this, it depends on da circumstance.

it would have been better for me as a kid if i didnt have to see my mum unhappy all the time cause of my sociopathic dad, but at the same time i can see how if two parents can make it work, it can be better for a kid.
My parents broke up a couple of years ago but got back together a year later. I was very happy.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I was 8, it was quite a horrible time. I still feel shitty about it now so I'm unsure.
My parents aren't divorced, but have been split for quite a while now...nearly 10 years. I was young, was about 9. I'm 18 now.

I think it's probably a bit better for it to happen (if it has to happen that is, it's probably best for a person if their parents stay together happily) younger, as it can be adapted to. But as an adult it would probably sting a bit more.
My parents divorced just about a year ago and it was horrible. I would have rather been much younger.
When you're younger, you're more likely to internalize it and blame yourself. However if te parents can be reasonable about it and explain to their children that they still love them, age isn't as big of a factor.
Quote by Hergiswi

Once I fucked a mountain gorilla and it couldn't even tell me it loved me afterward.
Quote by spanishyanez
Mental you get my vote for making me laugh for more than 3 minutes
My parents haven't split upon yet but might as well have. I'm 20 and I haven't considered them a couple for about 5 years now. To be honest I think it would be better if they had gone through with this while I was younger because they may have actually got a divorce rather than basicaly living seperate lives but still under the same roof
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
My parents divorced before I turned a year old, so I can't even remember their dumb asses being together.

And I prefer it that way, from what I hear.
Younger.
I'd rather not be able to fully understand it, and be used to it by the time I'm older
My parents just recently got divorced (I'm 18) and honestly it hasn't impacted me much. It was kind of a good think to be honest because they were starting to argue a lot the past couple years. I still see both of them equally and they don't hate each other. I guess I have it relatively good compared to some of the harsher breakups.
I'm actually the adult going through the divorce, and it pains me to know that someday one of my children will be posting something like this somewhere

Sorry to all of you that parents can be so selfish/not smart enough to have known that they shouldn't have been together before bringing kids into the equation.

And divorce can often be one-sided, as in my case. The last thing I ever wanted or felt that I deserved was for my wife to want out
E-Father to itorch, Andrea55, guitarxo and BlessedRebel15
E-Grandpa to Basti95, davrockist, KitKat555, Mark Roxx, Renegade_Lobo
E-Bro to slash_GNR666
I blog...

Quote by Andrea55

i think it would be better when you are older. It is hard for a child to grasp the concepts at play that sometimes people grow apart or sometimes people get married for the wrong reasons. When you are older it will still suck but you have a better idea about relationships and all the things that can go wrong. Either way stay out of the poo flinging and just love your parents for all they did for you growing up. They are still your mom and dad no matter where they live or where their lives take them.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Within the last 2 years my parents have separated and gotten back together twice. It's not quite a divorce, but I was 16 the first time and I am now 18 and my mom just moved back in the house. Kinda crazy.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Does every musicien have to going through hard times like these ??

Cuz almost every musicien I know has been trough stuff like this...

And yes my parents are divorced too
My parents divorced shortly before my 3rd birthday, and I can say I'm quite happy they did it then, rather than wait. It was a lot easier on me, and I got to get away from my mother a lot sooner.
Quote by OldiebutNewbie
I'm actually the adult going through the divorce, and it pains me to know that someday one of my children will be posting something like this somewhere

Sorry to all of you that parents can be so selfish/not smart enough to have known that they shouldn't have been together before bringing kids into the equation.

And divorce can often be one-sided, as in my case. The last thing I ever wanted or felt that I deserved was for my wife to want out

I hope it all works out for man.
Younger, since a divorce basically means two Christmas's.

Seriously, my parents divorced when I was very young (4 or 5). I don't remember much besides them fighting a lot around and about me. Being 5 years old, I blamed it on myself, which led to many emotional issues through my younger life. I would honestly say having them divorce later in life is better.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
Page 1 of 2