Alright so I just recently heard of a technigue called Djent and I have no idea what the hell they are talking about. It just sounds like any other detuned, chugging, metal riff. So if anybody could give me a more full explanation as to what it is, I would much appreciate it.
Quote by tonybony1491
Alright so I just recently heard of a technigue called Djent and I have no idea what the hell they are talking about. It just sounds like any other detuned, chugging, metal riff. So if anybody could give me a more full explanation as to what it is, I would much appreciate it.

Djent is a subgenre of metal that focuses on syncopation and atypical rhythms. Usually, the guitar is tuned below standard (often into baritone or 8-string range). The guitar tone is very treble- and mid-heavy while most of the bass EQ is removed, giving the guitars a very percussive sound. The name of the genre actually derives from this, since low-tuned powerchords with that kind of EQ make a "djent" sound when palm muted.

Most musicians in the genre write in atypical time signatures and, at least in early djent, mimicked the polymeters and polyrhythms of Meshuggah's music. More recent djent bands still use those polymeters and polyrhythms, but there are a lot of outside influences.
I learned what this was on here not too long ago, and the answer I basically got was that is is an extremely annoying "sub-genre" of metal characterized by horrible guitar tones and non-interesting rhythms/polyrhythms.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I learned what this was on here not too long ago, and the answer I basically got was that is is an extremely annoying "sub-genre" of metal characterized by horrible guitar tones and non-interesting rhythms/polyrhythms.

Spot On. A mate begged me to see Periphery & Tesseract the other week. Never heard so much detuned mud in my life.

Drop Tuned 7's & 8's, chugging extremely simple yet sycopated rhythms alternated with some ambience and its apparently groundbreaking progressive music.

No offence to people who enjoy it, but to me its another 'nu' bublegum scene. We won't remember Periphery in 10 years IMO.
It's an emerging scene and it really lacks enough bands to really have much by way of diversity. I think a lot of unfavorable comparisons get made between djent and generic pop-metal breakdowns. Personally, I like some djent bands, but there isn't enough diversity in the genre yet for me to really say one way or another if I'm a fan of the style, especially since the Meshuggah worship only goes so far before you have to start getting creative.
A note...nowadays, djent is used as a genre classification HOWEVER its original useage was as an onomatopoeia for the guitar tone Meshuggah (and later Periphery) were trying to capture...think "djent..djendjendjent..djent djent" (the "d" is almost silent). However, when Periphery's Misha Mansoor started saying stuff like "here's a new djenty song", people misunderstood, and thought he was describing the style, not the tone as was intended.
So long answer short, yes, the above answers are correct; however, "djent" was never supposed to describe a style at all
Quote by lmpguitarist
A note...nowadays, djent is used as a genre classification HOWEVER its original useage was as an onomatopoeia for the guitar tone Meshuggah (and later Periphery) were trying to capture...think "djent..djendjendjent..djent djent" (the "d" is almost silent). However, when Periphery's Misha Mansoor started saying stuff like "here's a new djenty song", people misunderstood, and thought he was describing the style, not the tone as was intended.
So long answer short, yes, the above answers are correct; however, "djent" was never supposed to describe a style at all

And Death started off as a band and/or a song depending on which version you go with but death metal is a genre now.

The whole "it's just a sound not a genre" thing is pretty stupid if you ask me, djent has a very identifiable sound.

Also anyone who things that djent only contains Meshuggah ripoffs is very ignorant.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I view Djent (as a genre) the same way I'm sure most outsiders view death and black metal; it all sounds like copies of the first band who came up with the sound (Meshuggah), who follow the same writing techniques, same playing techniques, and same lyirical themes, all the while followers claim it is music for the open minded.

Some djent is kind of good, but lacks memorable riffs and creativity. Really, if you made me listen to a djent playlist without letting me see the info, 90% of the time I wouldn't be able to tell when I'm hearing a different band.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Sep 4, 2011,
Can someone post an example of a typical djent song? I've known about this for a while but tbh I've never heard of a song like that before.
There's Icaurus Lives by Periphery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTuTQCyX_Qo

Then there's April by TesseracT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYhfH59OLC8

There's Mesuggah's Sum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weiXdYGuawY

There's The Discovery by Cloudkicker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCMksqnwxK8

That should give you a good sense of what's going on in djent. The Meshuggah track is older than the others and predates the recent hype that djent's gotten, but the Catch 33 album was hugely influential on a lot of djent artists, including those I posted.
Quote by zincabopataurio
Can someone post an example of a typical djent song? I've known about this for a while but tbh I've never heard of a song like that before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfOnq-zXXBw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAdbE4gl8yg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grwmUTrO180

It's very difficult to encompass the whole genre in one song though, there's a few different branches of it, even within single bands. There are those that very much focus on the low end, some focus a lot on the atmospherics, some who go for a more sikth-derived sund with quite angular and chaotic riffs... it's hard to nail it in one song.

^ Haha, ninja'd but the only one we have in common is Icarus Lives!, what a shock

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
True, but we both included tesseracT. I'm gonna take a listen to that monuments track. I've heard their name a few times around these parts and they're supposed to be pretty good. Worth a listen?
Quote by Geldin
True, but we both included tesseracT. I'm gonna take a listen to that monuments track. I've heard their name a few times around these parts and they're supposed to be pretty good. Worth a listen?

Definitely in my opinion, formed by Browne who was in Fellsilent with Acle before they split, really groovy stuff.

I saw a show with Monuments, Tesseract and Periphery a few months ago now, Monuments were unbelievable live, it's a shame they lost their vocalists

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Actually I was wondering What Djent was Myself!!!!! Now I know after reading this post!! OOooohhhh Shizzz ive been doing it for years and did not know it!!!! LLOL!!!!!
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Djent is when nerds sit in their bedroom and share their nerdy metal with one another.

No guesses for why I like it, then.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Djent is, according to Misha Mansoor (Periphery), a heavily palm muted 2 octave power chord often in very low drop tunings.

like so:

D#----------------------------------
A#----------------------------------
F#----------------------------------
C#-2-------------------------------
G#-0-------------------------------
D#-0-------------------------------
G#-0-------------------------------

That's the "djent" sound.

As far as subgenre? Think (as has been posted) stuff like Periphery, Sikth (to an extent), Meshuggah, TesseracT, Animals As Leaders, Vildhjarta, Monuments, Volumes, etc.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by Camo1902
Spot On. A mate begged me to see Periphery & Tesseract the other week. Never heard so much detuned mud in my life.

Drop Tuned 7's & 8's, chugging extremely simple yet sycopated rhythms alternated with some ambience and its apparently groundbreaking progressive music.

No offence to people who enjoy it, but to me its another 'nu' bublegum scene. We won't remember Periphery in 10 years IMO.

I'm not very familiar with Periphery, but I think you should check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kXLkJA6g0

I guess this was groundbreaking in 1997.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I haven't listened to Sol Niger Within in a while, but anything by Thordenhal was really groundbreaking. Most djent bands take their cues from his style: detuned guitars focusing on tight, complicated rhythms with an emphasis on that "angular sound".

One thing that I want to see is someone take a djent-style rhythms and apply a neoclassical melodic approach over that. I tried that in one of my compositions in my sig (shameless self advertising!) and I really liked the effect. Is there anyone out there who's done something similar?
Personally I prefer to blend those rhythms with atmospherics, clean jazz and electronica. Particularly electronica for a highly-polished, almost digital sound. I need better recording equipment, though.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Djent huh. I remember when the best genre people could come up with for Meshuggah was "Math Metal" lol.
Quote by broc5k
Djent huh. I remember when the best genre people could come up with for Meshuggah was "Math Metal" lol.

that's what they are.

Djent is kind of an offshoot of math metal.

Quote by Geldin
I haven't listened to Sol Niger Within in a while, but anything by Thordenhal was really groundbreaking. Most djent bands take their cues from his style: detuned guitars focusing on tight, complicated rhythms with an emphasis on that "angular sound".

One thing that I want to see is someone take a djent-style rhythms and apply a neoclassical melodic approach over that. I tried that in one of my compositions in my sig (shameless self advertising!) and I really liked the effect. Is there anyone out there who's done something similar?

Genius. I may have to try that with my band.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Exodus04
So would Animals As leaders - Cafo be considered Djent? Love that song

The whole album sits heavily in the djent camp, Misha Mansoor even did the production

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.