Hey guys I need your opinion on seemingly random pseudo-jazz sounding chord progressions. EG Teen town goes C13 - A13 - F13 - D13. I mean it's going down in thirds so there's a pattern , but apart from that I think it's pretty random. Sure sounds pretty cool, but totally whack eh.
UG's New Zealand Resident!
It's going down in m3 intervals, and is substituting chords with dominant 7ths with a 13 in the 2nd octave. It's not really random at all. If anything, it is highly planned and thought out.

And if it sounds good, it's good.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
It's going down in m3 intervals, and is substituting chords with dominant 7ths with a 13 in the 2nd octave. It's not really random at all. If anything, it is highly planned and thought out.

And if it sounds good, it's good.

+1
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
This chord progression actually sets up a system of chord progressions that is based on root progressions of 3rds. This kind of progression is different from those existing in the more-common chordal progressions by 5ths or 4ths (such as the ever common I - IV - I (or V6/4) - V - I). As such, many people often consider these chord progressions "fresh."

Wagner actually utilized progressions in 3rds in some of his operas.
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by Darkmessiahnz
That's pretty cool regarding the Wagner. Thanks for the tips.

To add about working out progressions in a system like this:

Consider the progression I - IV - I (V6/4) - V - IV.

If we look at the root movement of this progression, you could see it as the following:
+ 4 - 4 - 4 + 4
(in other words, ascending by a fourth, descending by a fourth, descending by a fourth, etc.)
or
- 5 + 5 + 5 - 5

Thus we see that this progression is set up as a sort of "rotation" around the tonic by the interval of a fourth or a fifth (which are inverses of one another). This is why the root motion of such a progression establishes tonality so well.

Similarly, you could construct well functioning, logical progression in a system of thirds, for example:
+ 3 - 3 -3 + 3
which translates into:
I - iii - I - vi - I. This has a nice distribution of major-to-minor chords in its progression.

This is just an example, but it serves to illustrate that you can take basic principals of constructing progressions in a system of fourths and fifths and translate those principals into a system of thirds.