Hi guys,

I recently bought a new laptop and to my disappointment found that it has no line in option, only the speaker and microphone jacks. I always used to record my guitar through the line out jack on my Peavey Vypyr 30 to the line in on my desktop, and now I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. I've tried recording with the microphone jack just in case, but of course it sounded crap (when it picked up the signal at all). What do you guys recommend? Is there any (inexpensive) way to rectify the situation?

Cheers!
Microphone jack is a line in, you might well just have a terrible sound card. Either way, even if you had a good line in I'd recommend getting a USB interface like the above recommended.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I had the EXACT same problem. Idk if the 30w vypyr has the usb output, but my 100w does. so now i use the usb output to record via usb into my laptop. works even better than the line in did because i get absolutely NO amp noise.
That depends on your definition of "inexpensive".

I always prefer using a dedicated multitracker as 9 times out of 10 a standard PC/laptop won't have an adequate soundcard to create quality recordings and often won't have the processing power to manage a more complex project.

You'd be able to get a decent 2nd hand multitracker on eBay at a price I'd consider inexpensive but that depends on what you mean by it.

Most reasonably recent models have a USB port so you could hook it up to your laptop that way if you decided you still wanted to try using it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Sep 4, 2011,
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help. So if I purchased something like a Line 6 Toneport UX1, would I need anything else other than what comes in the package in order to get recording?

Gary, I'm not too familiar with multitrackers, I might read up on them, they might be the answer. Cheers!