Hey,

So at the moment, I just really don't feel like joining a band. I've got other things on, work etc, that prevent me from doing so anyway, but I just don't feel like being in a band. It's kind of nice, because now I can take everything at my own pace, learn what i want, when I want.

Does anyone else feel like this, at the moment or indefinitely?
I am yet to find musicians interested in odd time signatures and blues/math rock, so I'm perfectly happy to be a solo player. I don't really like performing anyway.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
I am yet to find musicians interested in odd time signatures and blues/math rock, so I'm perfectly happy to be a solo player. I don't really like performing anyway.

I'm the same, genre wise I'm a mix of a lot of things. Finding one band that I would be really happy in would be a struggle. It just seems odd, as music tends to be viewed as a purely performance art.
You know, some people do enjoy playing as a hobby...
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Quote by i3oosted
You know, some people do enjoy playing as a hobby...

I know, as I do. It just seems like a lot of people focus on showing how good they are to everyone.

I remember one advert asking for band members, stating why play if you're never going to be in a band.
meh, i do music. if that means i create it in front of thousands of people, or in my home, then what i'm doing is music. doesn't matter where it is you know?

now granted, someone mentioned no one really cares about odd time signatures and stuff, well i would have to say that you need to stop looking locally for band members. great musicians are a dime a dozen, great musicians who like to experiment is like someone shoving a camel through the eye of a needle.
I can't ever see myself playing live or even with a band. It just wouldn't work, I'm not very talented, and I can't work with others well when it comes to music. I even get frustrated working with my best friend. I'm a do-it-alone guy, even though I just play as a hobby right now. I hope to one day get into recording and whatnot, but even then.. I'm not very good.
Guitar can be for performing or just for yourself. Either is good.
Moving on.....
The Beatles stopped playing live quite quickly in their careers. They focused on making music. I think that's the most important thing for a musician, moreso than trekking down to a grungey, piss-soaked hellhole to play to people who can't hear you properly anyway.

I'd definitely like a bit of both but leaning much further on the musicianship side > entertainment side.

Buy some basic recording kit, branch out and learn another instrument, meet some like-minded musical mercenaries and write some songs. Or just do it all yourself, that's pretty much what Prince and Lenny Kravitz do I believe.
Last edited by Duv at Sep 4, 2011,
I'm a serious musician... but it's just a hobby for me. I don't foresee myself ever performing. But buying thousands of dollars worth of equipment to compose and record professional-quality music? Hell yeah.

I'd still like to play with friends, though.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
But buying thousands of dollars worth of equipment to compose and record professional-quality music? Hell yeah.

I thought I wasn't good enough to buy a Twin.

Then I realised I had the money, and frankly didn't give a crap if I just played Apache for the rest of my life through it! It's weird, when I look at guitar, I have to justify buying things in relation to my talent. Yet I'll buy games consoles, games, a TV for it, speakers etc, and I suck at them.
i am the opposite, i have been playing as a hobby and really want to join or form a band when i get home. i am worried since never being in that kind of environment before i might not bring enough to the table or might have a hard time wiht it. i have heard over and over the best way to get better is to play with other musicians so that is really what i am hoping to do. I am away from home until like March 1st. soon after landing back in florida i hope to start playing and maybe gigging. I am friends with 2 people that play and practice with lots of different people so i figured i would start there, like hang out with them when ever I can and see how it feels and how it goes. i have a feeling it will be very intimidating for me at first but i hope i can fit in.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Id love to play with a band and just do covers with them but i wouldn't like to perform live. It's a waste of time.
I play guitar at home and I play bass in a band. It's both nice. Playing in a band just makes certain songs less boring, in my opinion.
I always play with the original music on headphones, because it's a lot more fun to play when you hear every instrument than just one. But that is just what I think.
Quote by burghUK
Id love to play with a band and just do covers with them but i wouldn't like to perform live. It's a waste of time.

I kind of agree. It's hard to find a band that just wants to jam and have fun. Everyone is so fixated on gigging and becoming the most awesome band in the world. Some guys make their logos before they have a practise with the band.
I've known for the last nearly a year and a half that I'm moving house (it's now 2 weeks away), I've been working on the assumption that anything I do is going to be pretty pointless. Still play though because I just love playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
is performing live really a waste? I am asking seriously not flaming or being stupid (stupider?). i know you don't make much money but isn't it fun to be out and on a stage playing?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
is performing live really a waste? I am asking seriously not flaming or being stupid (stupider?). i know you don't make much money but isn't it fun to be out and on a stage playing?

I certainly don't consider live playing a waste of time, I'd do it every day if I could whether there was profit to be made or not. It's just so awesome to play to people who even vaguely appreciate what you do...

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Performing live is a waste of time? not even close sir. I play guitar at home a lot but i live for the stage. there just isn't anything that compares to it, especially when you have people cheering for an original song and having the satisfaction of knowing that YOU wrote it. I've wanted to be in a band since i picked up guitar. and during that six years, i have played bass or guitar with praise bands, jazz bands, choirs, rock bands, a country group, a metalcore group, and guitar with a White Stripes cover band. There are benefits to playing live. i respect people who have no wish to play live and pursue it as a hobby but to say live performances are pointless is slightly insulting to me
Quote by shecter guy
Performing live is a waste of time? not even close sir. I play guitar at home a lot but i live for the stage. there just isn't anything that compares to it, especially when you have people cheering for an original song and having the satisfaction of knowing that YOU wrote it. I've wanted to be in a band since i picked up guitar. and during that six years, i have played bass or guitar with praise bands, jazz bands, choirs, rock bands, a country group, a metalcore group, and guitar with a White Stripes cover band. There are benefits to playing live. i respect people who have no wish to play live and pursue it as a hobby but to say live performances are pointless is slightly insulting to me

I didn't mean to say that if I did. I get all worked up and write things without thinking :

I love watching live performances, hell, some of the best songs are made better live. But for me, there's too much pressure. I hated being in one band because we always looked to the next gig. It was like we never had any downtime to sit back, jam, play some songs and have fun.

For now at least, I'm happy playing at home with my Twin. Lucky for me, my neighbours aren't too close..
Quote by DeadlySurfer
I didn't mean to say that if I did. I get all worked up and write things without thinking :

I love watching live performances, hell, some of the best songs are made better live. But for me, there's too much pressure. I hated being in one band because we always looked to the next gig. It was like we never had any downtime to sit back, jam, play some songs and have fun.

For now at least, I'm happy playing at home with my Twin. Lucky for me, my neighbours aren't too close..

If you're not having fun practicing for and/or playing live then you're in the wrong band man... last band I was in we were all about the live shows but we still took time to kick it back and piss about.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I thought about starting a thread for this but wasn't sure correct board, how often it has been discussed before (insert "oh this thread again" picture) blah blah blah.

When you become interested in starting or joining a band what do you look for? like i get home and post on craigslist and a few local places. How do you just click with other members? i would assume it would be really hard to find like minds and good fits from just an ad. No? I love surf, surf punk and psychobilly. That is what i am interested in playing, other than listing that and some of my favorite bands how do you get into the "right" band?
Quote by BlackVoid
Last edited by zenbone at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you're not having fun practicing for and/or playing live then you're in the wrong band man... last band I was in we were all about the live shows but we still took time to kick it back and piss about.

I had some fun, don't get me wrong. But when it came down to it, I kind of dreaded the gigs. I liked hanging out with my friends playing songs, and gigs gave it a purpose I guess, but I didn't like performing to a crowd.
i can see your point of view. As soon as it feels like a job it loses some of it's fun. Music should feel like downtime whether you're writing, gigging or just jamming in a friends garage. I take it seriously but have fun and goof off at the same time. it's a lot more fun to watch a band that's loose and relaxed onstage than one that looks like they have a stick up their butt. Maybe you just didn't have the right group together
I get no joy out of playing with people that either aren't talented enough, or like-minded enough to create interesting music, as well as aid my creativity, but those are the musicians I always end up meeting. It's cool if they only want to play covers or their originals are very simplistic, but just doesn't inspire me. So, I stopped worrying about finding a band years ago, now I just jam by myself or with a friend from time to time.

The live thing never appealed to me either, I would rather just record and jam.
you guys are really egotistical. you don't have to play music with people who are masters of their instrument in order to enjoy it. For the past three years I was playing in a band with a mediocre rhythm guitar and bass player. And while yes it had it's setbacks it forced me to write more simple songs that ended up being extremely catchy. And playing live was an entirely different story. Because the songs were simple, we could totally cut loose on stage. Playing live is a blast when you don't have to worry about messing up and looking like an amateur. The biggest problem i see with younger bands is everybody wants to be playing the coolest part of the song at the same time.
Quote by killboypowerhed
The biggest problem i see with younger bands is everybody wants to be playing the coolest part of the song at the same time.

This is the reason I don't want to be in a band.
I recently made a decision to stay out of bands. I just left my band of 2 years. I'm just at a point where being in a band feels like a chore. Right now I just want to focus on all the things I could learn by myself and record my own ideas and songs.

Damn, being in a band is like a relationship.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by killboypowerhed
you guys are really egotistical. you don't have to play music with people who are masters of their instrument in order to enjoy it. For the past three years I was playing in a band with a mediocre rhythm guitar and bass player. And while yes it had it's setbacks it forced me to write more simple songs that ended up being extremely catchy. And playing live was an entirely different story. Because the songs were simple, we could totally cut loose on stage. Playing live is a blast when you don't have to worry about messing up and looking like an amateur. The biggest problem i see with younger bands is everybody wants to be playing the coolest part of the song at the same time.

I've played with many people over the years, I've realized playing with people that hold me back is not only boring, but extremely frustrating. But then again, I've always been a prog-head and have no interest in playing the catchy stuff that people want to hear.
Quote by killboypowerhed

Again, if this was at me, I apoligise. I don't rate my playing at all, I think very little of myself. So I don't mind playing with anyone, as long as they know chords and basic things that make communicating easier.

I agree with your last point. I wouldn't mind being a rhythm guitarist, but I know I'd get annoyed if the lead wanted to have a solo every song (or 30 seconds... )
I love performing with others and putting on live shows. But at the moment I want to do some solo stuff. Does that count?
Eh, right now I have no intention to perform on guitar. Does that count?
I'm in a band where I play bass and bits of harmonica.