Hey UG, I'm moving into an apartment and need another amp! I've checked out the Marshall C5H (5 watt Plexi combo) and some small Laneys online. What do you all think?

Needs:
• Switchable wattage is a huge plus. I need low for playing in my apartment, but more for when I take it elsewhere.
• I like my amp to have at least Bass and Trevle knobs to roll off of when I feel like I'm too bright or too dark.
• It must be small and easy to carry, I want to be able to take it to jam where I can play it louder.
• Good clean channel, British distortion.
• Headphone jack/ Line out is also a big plus.

Budget: ~$600
Genres: Old Country, Blues, Classic Hard Rock (George Thorogood), Classic Heavy Metal (Judas Priest)
See sig for other Gear.

Thanks in advance,
Van
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Sep 4, 2011,
I've really been wanting to get a Marshall Class 5. Played one last weekend.. It was nice, needs to be cranked to get the gain I want.

Tried an Orange Tiny Terror.. I liked it a lot more. REALLY wanted to try blackheart stuff but my guitar center doesn't carry it in store.

Handsome devil looks pretty promising, but again.. Need to play it.

/rig
Tweaker
Quote by mmjohn
Tweaker

Excellent suggestion.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
jca22h
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
ya the tweaker or vht would work.

maybe score a great deal on a 1974 like i gave gumbi.
Blackheart make some very nice Marshally sounding amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I too reccomend the Handsome devil. Great little amp. Been thinking about picking one up.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
MG15 is small and is a Marshall so it definately has Marshall tones in it.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by Linqua5150
jca22h

+1
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by greeny23
MG15 is small and is a Marshall so it definately has Marshall tones in it.

mg15 might be a little big. i suggest the mg10. plus it has an mp3 input so you can jam along to your favourite bands!

...but seriously, Tweaker sounds the way to go. And you should be able to find one used a fair bit below your budget price.
IMO, the Tweaker has a much more usable tone than the Blackheart does. I was able to crank a Handsome Devil and couldn't dial in a good tone that didn't make my ears hurt. I had a Little Giant and have been told that a tube change does those amps wonders, but I just don't think they could possibly make a difference that is as drastic as it needs to be.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'm pretty sure Ceriatone has something you'd like. 18W maybe?

They do pretty good Marshall clones, and Nik could mod you something according to what you want for a reasonable price.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
You don't need SWITCHABLE wattage, It's called a VOLUME KNOB. I suggest using it.
I can have a 120w all tube half stack at a whisper, I think you'll be fine.

Look at blackstar.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
You don't need SWITCHABLE wattage, It's called a VOLUME KNOB. I suggest using it.

Look at blackstar.

mojostompboxes.com
Quote by Tango616

Look at blackstar.

Hmmm... Well my 60W can be played so quietly that I can't even hear it over the sound of me hitting the strings, but whats the point of that? Thanks for all your help, I had no idea what that strange knob labeled "Volume" did until you showed up.

Im still looking at all of your guys' suggestions, thanks for some good ones so far and I'll reply with my thoughts here in a bit.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Hmmm... Well my 60W can be played so quietly that I can't even hear it over the sound of me hitting the strings, but whats the point of that? Thanks for all your help, I had no idea what that strange knob labeled "Volume" did until you showed up.

Im still looking at all of your guys' suggestions, thanks for some good ones so far and I'll reply with my thoughts here in a bit.

no tube amp can work at whisper volume .. its gonna sound "fizz" , the natural sound of the tubes not being push hard enough . its really not a nice sound . the dynamics might be there , but the sound will be horrible .

theres a minimum playing volume with tube amp .. and IMO its above T.v/whisper volume .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
That was definitely sarcasm, bro...
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Skysc
no tube amp can work at whisper volume .. its gonna sound "fizz" , the natural sound of the tubes not being push hard enough . its really not a nice sound . the dynamics might be there , but the sound will be horrible .

theres a minimum playing volume with tube amp .. and IMO its above T.v/whisper volume .

Thats true for every amp I've ever played EXCEPT my ENGL Savage =D
/rig
Alright so the Handsome Devil is looking attractive, as is it's little brother the Little Giant. I don't know which would suit me better, 15/7W or 5/3. Luckily I have a couple supposed Blackheart dealers in the area so I'll go check them out. I think they might sound pretty nice with my EQ + an OD.

Would you guys recommend the head or the combo? On some amps I've heard the head is better.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

laugh all you want but a crate VC2010 would fit the bill perfectly.

it's cheap, does low volume well, has a headphone jack and british tone all day long.

it literally covers every genre you list without a pedal, and can be had for $200. (i had purchased one for $146 at one time).
Quote by gregs1020
laugh all you want but a crate VC2010 would fit the bill perfectly.

it's cheap, does low volume well, has a headphone jack and british tone all day long.

it literally covers every genre you list without a pedal, and can be had for $200. (i had purchased one for $146 at one time).

They better not laugh, blackheart is crate
/rig
The combo, I believe is open back and the BH 112 cab is closed, so the will be a slight difference. Hopefully your dealer will have both so you can try them.

I went with head Incase I wanted to upgrade the cab and the low end of the closed back. I know my devil sounded even better after I changed the stock tubes.
Quote by Skysc

BWAHAHAHA yes...yes it can. it will work, mine doesn't sound fizzy at all.

I don't see what you're all shitting yourselves about, he said he needed something quiet. You can have a tube amp at a quiet volume. And then he said but enough power when he goes somewhere else. I never said it will be at it's peak tone at a whisper did I? No, No I did not.

If you honestly can't make a tube amp sound at all decent at a low volume you're A) Doing something wrong, or B) Your amp is wonky.

I've been able to for next to every tube amp I've ever played save for a couple Peavey's. THOSE got fizzy at a super low volume.

I also never said it HAD to be at a whisper or that I play MINE at a whisper, I said it can for quiet playing. Christ, some of you need to get the sand out of your ass.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
you must have a tube amp? you could just consider SS amps because they are cheaper, most of the time, and are a real nice solution for an apartment. if you really want tube i'd suggest the marshall class 5 combo you were already looking at. it has the wattage down switch which doesn't say much about volume on it's own but i've heard it and it's really a massive drop of volume. the head doesn't have that feature i believe. be sure to look for the second generation of class 5's as the first generation also didn't have that switch. reckon that won't be too problematic if you're buying new.

also the term apartment might be understood different by people. you could have a room or you could have a 1 floor-penthouse, if you know what i mean. you should really take that with you're decision as the suggested 18 watter will really be too much for a room in my opinion.
Last edited by wolvenrick at Sep 6, 2011,
MArshall Haze 40 would probably work for what your after I have one and it is pretty versatile for those genres. Don't ask it to go real heavy metal but its tube, 40 watts and plays well at bedroom lvl or can be miced or gets pretty loud on its own.
Jackson DK2M w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez ARZ 800 w/EMG 81/60
B52 AT-100
Marshall 4x12 cab
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss DD7 Delay
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Polytune