So I'm considering buying a Custom Shop Strat. This is not going to be purchased any time soon (at least a year or two) but I'm starting early because the search for my Lester took me so long, and this will be a very big purchase.

Question.

What are the differences between the years of their CS models?

I don't mean production years, I mean 1956-1965 etc. Going on the specifications all I see are minor differences (6105 frets, some have different neck profiles, ash vs alder) but nothing stands out as being too different from another.

In the Gibson Historic world it seems that the differences between years is much clearer.

Any other info on Fender CS models would also be nice.

So that's my line of enquiry. Hopefully some of you guys would be able to help.

Thanks
you should contact their custom shop, they are really helpful and cool to talk with. i am a regular on their forums over there.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
honestly the differences are pretty minor for the most part. the neck shapes change from a hard V to a soft V and later to the U and C. the pickups change a little as well.body size and thickness changed a few millimeters here and there. the only real obvious changes are when you get into the rosewood fingerboards. the earlist ones were a thick slab instead of the thinner ones that most of us are accustomed to. the othe thing to look for is that true reissues have the 7.25 radius. new strats and a fair amount of the reissues have a 9.5 radius. if your not used the the old one it can be a bit hard to get used to. old strats had lower frets as well which has been updated for modern players. last thing to look for is the large headstock (late 60s-early 80s models) some like it some don't.

alot of the older stuff has differences that don't have much to do with how it sounds or plays. things like a 1 ply or 3 ply pickguard and how many screws hold it on. nit picky stuff for purists
Watch out for the toggle switch. I think the 62 custom shop RI only has a 3 way switch. Also, some of the RI have the vintage pickups that buzz like hell. Best thing to do is go to guitar center and play to your hearts desire. Personally, I play the SRV strat every chance I get and it gets harder and harder to not bust a credit card out on the spot and take it home.
Cheers for the advice guys. I'll definitely go check out the Fender forums.

I had a 7.25" radius on my MIJ Jag and didn't like it. 9.5" is more my thing. Personally I love the compound radius on my USA Deluxe Tele best. It's currently looking like it's going to be a toss-up between A USA Deluxe Strat and whichever CS Strat I like best.

I think ideally what I'm looking for is V/soft-V neck, non-vintage frets, non-slab, small headstock. Pickups and cosmetics will depend on whichever ones feel/sound best.

The only problem is the only dealer with a decent range of CS Strats that I would actually want to go to (Guitar Village in Farnham) is about 3 hours away. The local Guitar Guitar has a few that I'll check out though.
Quote by Duv
Cheers for the advice guys. I'll definitely go check out the Fender forums.

I had a 7.25" radius on my MIJ Jag and didn't like it. 9.5" is more my thing. Personally I love the compound radius on my USA Deluxe Tele best. It's currently looking like it's going to be a toss-up between A USA Deluxe Strat and whichever CS Strat I like best.

I think ideally what I'm looking for is V/soft-V neck, non-vintage frets, non-slab, small headstock. Pickups and cosmetics will depend on whichever ones feel/sound best.

The only problem is the only dealer with a decent range of CS Strats that I would actually want to go to (Guitar Village in Farnham) is about 3 hours away. The local Guitar Guitar has a few that I'll check out though.

for the money you'll have to spend it would be worth the trip. the V necks tend to come on the 50s models which have maple fingerboards.