I just got a new VOX AC4TV (and a green rhino pedal) and there's something I should have asked the sales rep. First off, it doesnt have a standby switch. While the tubes are heating up, should the volume be off? I read online that it shortens the life of the tubes if the volume is on.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I think thats more for so you don't damage the speaker with start up noise. But it wouldnt hurt to turn it down first.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes. When you turn it on, have the volume off and let it sit for a couple minutes before playing.

Congrats on the amp

You should do a NAD/review; I haven't seen many for the ac4.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
You could, but it won't make too much difference. There's a bit of a ramp-up built in. The chinese tubes they ship in the AC4 won't last long anyway, so even if they die early it gives you an excuse to throw some JJs in.
Quote by Strat007

You should do a NAD/review; I haven't seen many for the ac4.

I would but there's no way for me to take a pic/vid of it. The most I can do is review it.

Quote by Roc8995

You could, but it won't make too much difference. There's a bit of a ramp-up built in. The chinese tubes they ship in the AC4 won't last long anyway, so even if they die early it gives you an excuse to throw some JJs in.

........varied answers. Well, I guess if more people pitch in their views on it. Anyway, it doesnt take much effort to turn the volume off.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I didn't bother adding a standby switch to the last amp I built because it had a valve rectifier so no voltage is applied to the plates until that heats up anyway. The AC4TV has a SS recifier so I would have preferred if it had a standby switch but warming it up with the volume down is the next best thing.
Old valve stereo amps rarely had a standby and they didn't keep blowing valves all the time. Standbys are over-rated really. People used to warm them up with the volume down mainly so they wouldn't have to listen to it pop and fart as it warmed up but most would have just turned them on and waited for the volume to come up. I don't remember the old valve stereo we had as a kid needing new valves ever. I remember the TV needing tubes at times but never the stereo. Of course valves were made better back then but still ..........
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hmm..another thing that might be a false alarm or it might be bad. How hot is the amp supposed to get? Right now, I've been using it for about an hour, not pushing the tubes at all. It's got alot of headroom to spare. The metal plate that the controls are on is pretty hot. Is it supposed to be like that. The air thats coming out of the vent on top is quite warm too. It is a closed back so................I dunno?

Help, please?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
tubes heat up, some even have a built in fan.

only prob is when amp is bad biased from factory, but then it would sound bad
If it bursts into flame, it was too hot. Don't worry about it until that happens.