Hi guys, I dont suppose there is anyone here from Townsville in QLD or surrounds that has some sheets of 16mm plywood sitting in their shed... Im about to kick off my epic cab build (of which there will be photos etc) and am on the scrounge for some wood. Doing it on the cheap you see... Any help will be massively appreciated.

Mods, this thread will be the build page as well. Once it kicks off that is. Cheers.
Ok so today I got to go and do a little bit of looking around. The plans I have of a Marshall 1960a 4 X 12 calls for the cabinet to be constructed out of 16 mm ply. Im contemplating going in another direction. The depth of the cabinet is 36 cms so I have got myself 2 planks 190mm x 16 x 3m in a nice pine to join side by side in lengths of 75cm and am tossing up whether or not to do it in a wood finish. I figure if it turns out looking like shit I'll cover it in vinyl or something.
So that cost me the princely sum of 36 aussie dollars. This is enough to do the top, bottom and two sides. As for the front. the main baffle and the back I think I'll use MDF either in a 16mm or maybe a 19mm at the front and the plan calls for 12 mm at the rear but that may well end up 16mm too.
The plans I am using are in post #4 of this forum page... http://music-electronics-forum.com/t2746/ .
So, total cost to date and a start to a long and tedious project is the positively enormous sum of $43 AU. I bought some 8 mm dowells to do the joining with as well...
My next quandry is, should I use PVA glue or something a bit more ballsy and use Selleys Liquid Nails.
One other thing I came across online is a kit for a 400w amp. Im not entirely sure what level of completion it is but its supposedly for PA and is mean as all shit. Im pretty certain its only a clean channel but I figure with some pedals or a multi task do everything pedal board it'll make some noise? Any thoughts? (its $335. The cheapest head I have found is around the $1000 mark plus freight)
Does anyone here know how to get minor bows out of pine planks preferably without running through a planer?
Quote by dazza027
Does anyone here know how to get minor bows out of pine planks preferably without running through a planer?

I want to know too
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 7, 2011,
A friend said soak them in a bath tub for a few hours then lie them out flat and put some heavy weight on them, then wait for them to dry but I will try and find out from someone who knows.
I'm no expert but some sort of steaming or water is usually involved in straightening/bending wood. Steam is aimed more towards maple tops etc.

As for your pa amp, I've never tried running one through a 4x12 but the principle's the same. A link would be a lot more help.
EDIT: I play death metal and have never once used anything but an amps clean channel. All I use are pedals.
*insert witty statement here*
Last edited by metalhead352 at Sep 7, 2011,
I doubt soaking wood in water to straighten it is ever a good idea.

Just use a plane. It's the cheapest and best way.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by metalhead352
I'm no expert but some sort of steaming or water is usually involved in straightening/bending wood. Steam is aimed more towards maple tops etc.

Yeah, I'd do this to get a stubborn twist/ bow out of a plank of ply. clamp it onto something straight and rigid (steel bar) so that its clamped flat how you want it.
Then put a boiling kettle underneath were the twist/ bow is the worst, and let the steam do its thing under the wood for 5-10mins.

Leave to dry overnight before removing clamps. should be straight by then.
Quote by metalhead352

As for your pa amp, I've never tried running one through a 4x12 but the principle's the same. A link would be a lot more help.
EDIT: I play death metal and have never once used anything but an amps clean channel. All I use are pedals.

This is the Pda for the kit... http://www.ledeaudio.com/images/totempole_info.pdf

This is a picture of the amp, note that its a kit and only comprises the electricals, a head cab would need to be made... http://www.ledeaudio.com/images/totemphotoW.jpg

I'll try and get some more info, but from what I can tell, it starts at 400w and is also available in an 800w kit.
So, after doing a ton of research, trying to get planks straight when they have a bow in them is pretty much a maybe it will work or maybe it wont. Its not a bad bend so if push comes to shove, I will get them run through a thicknesser at a joinery.

One problem there is that it will make the sides thinner obviously. So Im trying to think of the best way to give the meat back to the cabinet. Im wondering if some of that tar matting stuff they use for car stereo installs would work if I sheeted some on the inside of the cab.
Has been a while since I did anything with this so I went and bought some 16mm MDF for the bottom and sides and some 13mm MDF for the back and front pieces. I cant be buggered stuffing around with timber without having all the proper gear. Having said that though I still reckon a cab with a wood finish and some nice grille cloth would look cool.

My next question is how do I go about plugging an amp up to this puppy, I bought a 6.5 mm stereo non switching plug today from Jaycar for $2.75. Is that what they use on the proper cabs or is there some other bits and pieces?
Last edited by dazza027 at Sep 29, 2011,
I was thinking about having a bit of versatility in the cab and having a pair of those plugs like you see on the side of a car sub box so that I can hook it up to the house sound system for parties... But thats for later.

Today we got the sides and top cut, the dimensions for the front pieces and back werent right due to my conversion skills from fractions of inch to mm so, so far its assembled to the point of being 2 sides, a top and a bottom. Probably monday I will take it in and have the front and rear cut. I bought some corner protectors and handles as well. Also I have 2 reasonably cheap 8 ohm speakers second hand, just after two more. Total cost to date is just over $100 AU.
Would a Marshall MA50H head be powerful enough to run this cab???
Well, got the MDF (craftwood for you yanks out there) and took it to a cabinet maker mate to cut out to size on his table saw. When I got back the next day this is what I got...

Appears he got a bit bored and finished it all off for me. So now all it needs is the holes cut for the handles, jack and speakers. And to be covered in the snake skin tolex I found on Ebay. Not bad hey.
Bugger meeee they werent that big when i uploaded them... Geez...
Yeah I know but its very rare, its usually craft wood or hobby board or something else usually in refernce to the brand, ie a Kleenex over there is what we call a 'tissue' over here on this side of the pond. We tend to call things what they are instead of what the most known brand of the item is. But thats irrelevant.

And no, when I opened the pic in paint to change them from a PNG file to a JPG file before I uploaded them to imgur, they were small. So somewhere in between, all the gory detail of my music room floor has been blown up for all to see. Lucky it got vacuumed today (or Hoovered as you guys would say). Total cost so far, whatever the last total was plus a splash of roach killer at my mate the cabinet makers place. So add roughly $15. Pretty cheap so far.
We don't refer to everything by brand you silly brit. Would a trailer trash american refer to his house/trailer by brand name? Also, you've gotta resize dimensions rather than file size. Just converting to a jpeg won't do it.
I use this thingy: http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ it makes resizing super easy. As for the cab and free labour, right on! It looks really great. Although I would have pushed the bit the speakers mount on back a bit more (so it kind of set into the cab).
Silly Brit??? Listen hear seppo... Im a bloody Australian! Brit... wash your mouth out with soap. Lmao.
I thought they were all Winnebago's.... didnt matter what size they were. RV is what them fancy trailer trash people (Nascar fans) call them... hehe
Facepalm. Well how am I supposed to know where your from? Also I know no one who calls it a winnebago, unless it's a winnebago. Also motorhomes are different from trailer homes. But alas, I am jealous, you live in the good land of rear wheel drive. Here in the US everything is japanese and front wheel drive (we're talking about cars now haha).
Not really an update, but Ive had to sling a pair of crappy speakers into the box so that I can use my new amp. Its hell loud but just doesnt sound warm or generally nice at all. Its not the amps fault its definately the shagged out speakers. If there is anyone out there in Australia specifically and have a pair of Celestion _______ (insert type here) that are second hand but in good order and are of 12 inch diameter, please drop me a line with some details as to price and postage, Im after two pairs and preferably two different models to mix the sound up a bit. Cheers beautiful people. (one day I shall call you all my groupies I am sure)...