#1
has anyone here had problems with mold in their house before?

i just moved into my student house, and i feel like my room has that old-person house mold smell, i found an area that was green that i nuked with rubbing alcohol and vim to clean it, but what else needs to be done to stop it for good, as i dont feel like getting sick from it.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!



wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO
#2
bleach mixed with water 2:1 spray it on the wall and wipe it dry.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
#4
I had mold problems in my house. Sculpture is hard.

oh wait, do americans spell mould without the u?


I wanted to talk about sculpture and pottery
you still have zoiiidbeeeerg
(V) (;,,;) (V)
YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG
Quote by TheBurningFish
It's more shocking to see Tom dressed at all.
Quote by suckersdream
I don't think I've ever actually seen him clothed.
Sexy Peoples Only
◕ ‿ ◕
TweetZ
#5
Mould can be a serious problem, and you should deal with it as soon as you can. Otherwise it could end up on just about everything in your room, including your clothes, bed and guitar. It can get into all kinds of sneaky places- When I was living in a really mouldy room I found some on my guitar strap, even though it'd been in the case the whole time.

Use bleach, or mould killer (which is basically spray bleach) to remove it, then leave your room time to air so you're not breathing in bleach. In particular check anything wooden, and clean anything suspicious. Common spots are behind wardrobes and under tables etc- basically any porous surface. It might be a good idea to get a few contains of moisture absorber crystals if the room has a lot of humidity, which is probably the case since there's mould there.

Also cleaning mould isn't much fun and the owner of your student accommodation is most likely obliged to remove it.
Last edited by markisouvlaki at Sep 4, 2011,
#6
^everything in this post. You could also invest in a dehumidifyer to try and stop the formation of more mould due to humidiy.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
#8
Quote by markisouvlaki
Mould can be a serious problem, and you should deal with it as soon as you can. Otherwise it could end up on just about everything in your room, including your clothes, bed and guitar. It can get into all kinds of sneaky places- When I was living in a really mouldy room I found some on my guitar strap, even though it'd been in the case the whole time.

Use bleach, or mould killer (which is basically spray bleach) to remove it, then leave your room time to air so you're not breathing in bleach. In particular check anything wooden, and clean anything suspicious. Common spots are behind wardrobes and under tables etc- basically any porous surface. It might be a good idea to get a few contains of moisture absorber crystals if the room has a lot of humidity, which is probably the case since there's mould there.

Also cleaning mould isn't much fun and the owner of your student accommodation is most likely obliged to remove it.


This. Mold can be a huge health hazard if it goes unnoticed or spreads. Clean it, make sure the room is well ventilated and if you can find the source of the problem, I'm pretty sure it's almost always water. You should definitely report it to someone at your school as well.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.



C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
#9
Quote by metaldud536
Shouldn't your school deal with it? It's a health hazard.

its not a res, but a rented house
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!



wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO
#11
Quote by JimmyBanks6
its not a res, but a rented house


Call your landlord. Don't take no for an answer on this one: you're renting, not buying, so it's not your responsibility to deal with this. Tell him you want someone out tomorrow to clean it up, and that you're going to call him every day until it happens... if he holds out, don't pay him. Simple as that. Don't **** around with mold.
#12
Quote by SG_dave
Is the mold on an interior or exterior wall?

the spot i found was on the carpet
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!



wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO
#14
Quote by JimmyBanks6
the spot i found was on the carpet

That's bad news bears, you're probably going to have to rip up the carpeting to clean it out, and your landlord is not going to be happy at all about that.
#15
Ah... The Tales of Student Accommodation.

You should have been a bit more careful in choosing housing, but don't you have a landlord/landlady that should take care of this?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
#16
Quote by JimmyBanks6
the spot i found was on the carpet


You may need a new carpet.

Definitely going to have to look underneath it to see if the floorboards underneath are the culprit.

Is there anything usually sat on top of where the mold is, or would have been from previous tenants? Like a set of drawers.
Because it may have been lack of ventilation, so cleaning it up would be enough to deal with it. But if not then you may need a proffesional in to sort it out.
#17
Quote by SG_dave
You may need a new carpet.

Definitely going to have to look underneath it to see if the floorboards underneath are the culprit.

Is there anything usually sat on top of where the mold is, or would have been from previous tenants? Like a set of drawers.
Because it may have been lack of ventilation, so cleaning it up would be enough to deal with it. But if not then you may need a proffesional in to sort it out.

my box spring that i brought in wasnt on top of it literally, but was leaned overtop of where the area was, i dont know what the previous tennants had, ill pull the carpet up if i can to see underneath though
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!



wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO
#18
i was annoyed with mold

then i discovered penicillin

stay away from drugs, kids
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
#20
so i ripped the carpet up a bit, it looks like some of the green flowed through the carpet onto the underlying stryofoam/insulation shit from the alcohol i poured on it, but i dont see a spread of mold growing anywhere
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!



wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?


Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.


aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius


GO SENS GO
#21
Quote by JimmyBanks6
so i ripped the carpet up a bit, it looks like some of the green flowed through the carpet onto the underlying stryofoam/insulation shit from the alcohol i poured on it, but i dont see a spread of mold growing anywhere


Keep the room well ventilated, lots of sunlight if possible and avoid covering the spot where the mold was.

If it comes back it's most likely a problem with the building.