Im looking for a boutique pedal . a High gain overdrive .. not distortion .. i dont know if that make sense .

I had a ibanez tubescreamer ts-7 before .. the "ts-9" channel was a overdrive .. to boost an amp /add gain to a already push amp ..

But the ts-7 had another mode that was "HOT" . it was like the same boost .. but with 10x more gain . it sound really smooth but high gain .. the sound was different than all distortion pedals i have heard as if the clipping didnt occur . it was like overdrive but with a lot of gain . the "hot" mode work fine in the clean channel of an amp and chord sound like a green day sound but smoother .

hard to describe ..

i know the tubescreamer is copy a lot .. but is there any boutique overdrive that has a lot of gain .. not only as a boost .. but as a stand alone "dirt" pedal into a clean channel ?

i already have a mi audio crunch box ( british high gain distortion ) and its not what im looking for .
** as i remeber the boss sd-1 had a nice sound . but a little more gain ad , true bypass and more control would be great .

most tubescreamer are use to boost .. but the hot mode of the ts-7 could easily work in the clean channel as it has enough overdrive/gain by itself .
im looking for something similar .. but true bypass and boutique .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Sep 5, 2011,
i dont have anything specific in mind (its really late, and i need sleep like 4 hours ago lol) but i think you should start your search on proguitarshop.com. they do fairly good demos so you will get sort of an idea of what each pedal will sound like. they pride themselves in carrying things that aren't your standard brands.
Quote by Skysc
im looking for something similar .. but true bypass and boutique .

Why?
Sounds to me like you've already found what you want.
Mod it to be true bypass if you have too, but I'm pretty sure tube screamers have pretty good buffers anyway.
RIP Gooze

cats
Rivera Metal Shaman, it runs $300 or better though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by WtrPlyr
lol what's the difference between high gain overdrive and distortion?

Yeah good point I missed that. To be hi-gain it is distortion, because of the amount of saturation.

Or that has been my take on it for 17 yrs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Plimsoul- equiv of many tubescreamers

Fat Sandwich- for saturation

For really boutique- Okko diablo
Last edited by Hunter44 at Sep 5, 2011,
NOC3 Pure Drive
JHV3 Ghost Drive (with the high gain drive option)
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
just remembered a Himmelstrutz fetto nord 70 is supposed to be fairly transparent.
You could just mod a TS7 and save yourself a couple hundred bucks. The way you typed it makes it seem like you want a boutique pedal for the sake of having one, not because it has a sound quality you can't get otherwise.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
try and find a Mesa V-twin pedal
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
don't need a boutique pedal at all. just get a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. does the tubescreamer thing and has a mod switch that ups the gain.
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 mosfet in vintage mode the overdrive knob a little high and with the boost mode running high??? You'd have to show us the sound you are thinking of. Also, my Route 66 overdrive side stacked with it's compressor side can get pretty saturated and still "overdrive" sounding.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I got a Barber Direct Drive a few months back. It's fairly high gain for an overdrive pedal.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Consider a Maxon SD-9 (yes, I know they call it a "distortion" pedal).

True bypass, plenty of gain and very usable either as an overdrive (gain low, level high) or as a stand alone "dirt box" into a clean channel (gain high, level not so high). Also, it's the only overdrive/distortion pedal I've tried that really works with either singlecoils or humbuckers in either the neck or bridge positions.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
What don't you like about the crunchbox? That might help in our suggestions. I hear lots of good things about the Okko Dominator. I really liked my crunchbox though, until it was replaced by the Wampler Triple Wreck, and the Wampler Pinnacle.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Sounds like you want a brown sound in a box type deal, or a fuzz.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Hunter44
just remembered a Himmelstrutz fetto nord 70 is supposed to be fairly transparent.

Nord '70 definitely isn't transparent. The regular Nord is sort of transparent but not really.

TS, you sound like you want a Landgraff or Rockbox but don't buy those overpriced pieces of crap. A couple mods to a normal Tubescreamer or a BYOC kit will get you 100% of the way there for $50.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Hughes & Kettner Tubeman II (its a real tube preamp)
or ZVex Box of Rock (overdrive sound)

I only playd both of them about a year ago one time through a twin reverb, that sounded killer