I've always been curious about this subject. Is it actually possible to play guitar in your sleep or in your dreams? If so would you actually be able to get better while your asleep? I know that things like Lucid Dreaming exist where you could most likely play guitar in your dreams but I don't know anyone that has personally attempted this. Considering that most people spend 1/4th of the day sleeping the benefits of being able to use such a method are obvious.

So what do you guys think is it possible to practice and actually get better while your dreaming or sleeping?

Has anyone personally tried doing this themselves?
I have read that thinking about the days events and the stuff you did before falling asleep can help you to have a better memory don't know how this might help guitar playing, maybe help you remember more theory stuff perhaps.
I've played guitar in my dreams before, I can't be the only one. So I guess that counts as practicing.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

i once i fell asleep with a guitar in my hand as i was playing (it was a long day and i was tryong to get a few minutes of practice) and my brother tol me that i played the creepiest thing hes ever heard me play probably casue i was asleep
I just woke up from a dream playing Blackwater Park in front of a few people in my back garden. Nailed it too. Does it count as practice? Perhaps it just tells me I know all the notes already, I just need to go into dreamstate when I play ^^.
not sure if serious
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
not sure if serious

Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Physical ability requires physical work, so no. Mental ability? Sure, I guess you could practice. I've come up with interesting things in my dreams, and my time asleep has allowed me to work out my thoughts and help solidify knowledge.

Plus, one time I jammed with Steve Vai. It felt so real and I could feel and hear the guitar and notes.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by dannydawiz
I've always been curious about this subject. Is it actually possible to play guitar in your sleep or in your dreams? If so would you actually be able to get better while your asleep? I know that things like Lucid Dreaming exist where you could most likely play guitar in your dreams but I don't know anyone that has personally attempted this. Considering that most people spend 1/4th of the day sleeping the benefits of being able to use such a method are obvious.

So what do you guys think is it possible to practice and actually get better while your dreaming or sleeping?

Has anyone personally tried doing this themselves?

Very interesting, yes in fact people can induce themselves into a lucid dream where their experience feels almost like reality with practice anyone can learn how to do this with their own dreams.

I would be very interested to know if you practice guitar would it effect your skills in real life. The only problem I can see with it is that when you practice you are exercising your fingers wrists etc physically and it would be unlikely that the muscle memory actions would be replicated in the dream state as during sleep your brain sends signals to your muscles to prevent yourself from thrashing too much, pissing or shitting yourself. Also I would guess that 90% of people who can control their dreams would use them to have sex instead of practicing major scales to a metronome but if someone has any experience with this then I would 100% be up for an extra 8 hours of guitar practice
My ex used to tell me that I'd go through the playing motions whilst asleep (fingers/wrist moving) and I read a scientific study that said simply thinking about exercise for an hour every day can increase muscle size by up to 13%... This makes it seem possible that sleep practising could improve your playing.
As for lucid dreaming, I've recently been learning to invoke lucid dreams and having some success but I don't think that I could play guitar in them. Apparently, when dreaming, a person will have either more or less than the average number of fingers and this has held true for me (whether that's because the idea has been planted in my mind or not, I don't know) and I imagine that this would make playing in your dreams a somewhat bizarre experience.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
First of all, there are no shortcuts in learning to play guitar, just getting that out there as you seem to be looking for the easy way out.

Second, when you sleep, your brain actually processes and organizes all of the information that it took in throughout the way (e.g learning something new like playing the guitar, what you did while practicing). It does more while you sleep, than while you are awake actually. An analogy would be like a filing cabinet. During the day you stuff as much paper into it as you can, and at night when you sleep you organize it.

As long as you get a good nights sleep, then you've done all you need in terms of "practicing guitar while sleeping".
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Sep 5, 2011,
I sometimes find myself practicing guitar in my head without touching a guitar. This is similar. You're practicing your memory of the fretboard in your head while doing this. Dreams would be similar, but more realistic feeling.

Side note: I had a dream where I realized that I was sleeping and I said I wanted to fly and I did it. It felt extremely real. Coolest dream I've ever had. The dream I had about a nuke and felt the pressure building up in my body when the waves hit me - not so cool.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Last edited by fretmaster13 at Sep 5, 2011,

seriously i don't think it is possible , unless it is in Inception movie.