Almost a year ago I got a really cheap guitar and amp for $200. It sounds like shit so it's not very fun to play. I'm thinking I might want to get a decent one soon. I hardly know anything about guitars so I don't know what to look for.

There's a few things hate about the one I have now. The top frets seem to big for some riffs because I can't stretch my fingers far enough, or I need to move my whole hand up and down when I don't think I should have to. Tapping and hammer-ons/pull-offs are pretty quiet so I can't do more than 2 hammer-ons and fast tapping parts are impossible. Tremolo picking is hard because the strings move down. (Maybe I just suck at it)

I'll only be playing metal and I don't want it to be too expensive, like maybe around $500-$600.

This it what I have. It says it's 39"
Check out the Epiphone Prophecy series, they make Futuras ( Explorers ) Les Pauls, and SGs. Also some other little body shape, but it's not that nice of a guitar. Also, many LTD's are really nice for about $500-$600. What exactly are you looking for in a guitar?
Hey man. I don't play metal, but I do know a good bit about the guitar in general, so I can help.

First off, those $200 dollar packages are almost ALWAYS awful. They guitars are set up so horribly with sharp frets and horribly cheap pickups. And the amps are by far the biggest fault. It's just full on treble with no shape or meaning. You wont improve too much with that sort of mess.

As for which guitar you use, I'm not fully sure, since I dont play metal. 39" isnt important, we dont usually look for things in that way. Look at your favorite bands, find out which guitars they use by searching on Google. If it's a common one like the les paul or telecaster [surprisingly good for metal, small frets], then there will always be a cheap 199-299 version that isnt too bad. Epiphone makes VERY good guitars for the price.

But aside from that, I think the amp is more important in electric playing. You can make a cheap guitar sound decent on a good amp, but that's not always true of a good guitar on a cheap amp. Stay away from Line 6 if you can, I've owned it. The Marshall MG series is pretty bad too.

Take my suggestions with a grain of salt, but these are cheap well-reviewed guitars that work for metal:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JS23Nat/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENBEBCH/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ART100WH/

As for amps, $200 dollar ones arent amazing, but they are leaps and bounds better than the one you have now. Try to always get at least a 10 inch speaker, if not a 12 inch. 12 inch has more midrange and bass, typically. It's the standard as well. The Orange I suggested is an 8", but a telecaster and orange together can do great metal tones. Many pros use that set up because its aggressive yet clear.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Vypyr30/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CR20LDX/
Quote by LeeAlacoque
Good for playing metal. I don't know

Find the "Gear for Metal" thread, look there, listen to clips of what seems interesting. Find out if you like passive or active pickups, hardtail or Floyd, 22 or 24 frets, what pup combo (HxH, XXH, HSH, etc...) and what you define as "metal." What bands/songs/sounds do you want to get?
Quote by Wisthekiller
Find the "Gear for Metal" thread, look there, listen to clips of what seems interesting. Find out if you like passive or active pickups, hardtail or Floyd, 22 or 24 frets, what pup combo (HxH, XXH, HSH, etc...) and what you define as "metal." What bands/songs/sounds do you want to get?

This. But be very warned about floyds in your price range. I'd go hardtail in almost all cases [ie no trem].
Also for pickups I'd suggest two humbuckers for metal, but other options will work too.

Quote by khariii
First off, those $200 dollar packages are almost ALWAYS awful. They guitars are set up so horribly with sharp frets and horribly cheap pickups. And the amps are by far the biggest fault. It's just full on treble with no shape or meaning. You wont improve too much with that sort of mess.

This is true.

Quote by khariii
As for amps, $200 dollar ones arent amazing, but they are leaps and bounds better than the one you have now. Try to always get at least a 10 inch speaker, if not a 12 inch. 12 inch has more midrange and bass, typically. It's the standard as well. The Orange I suggested is an 8", but a telecaster and orange together can do great metal tones. Many pros use that set up because its aggressive yet clear.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Vypyr30/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CR20LDX/

Speaker size isn't too important. And it's a bit misleading to say a telecaster and orange [especially when talking in his budget] can do metal well. And pros may use the higher end stuff, but that is VERY different from the crush.

I wouldn't say many telecaster users play metal. I'd recommend for guitars maybe an epiphone, ibanez, esp/ltd or schecter.
An epiphone les paul or sg [if possible not the cheapest, but the next ones up] would suit you well.
As would the ibanez that was linked to you, or an rg/rga

For amps the roland cube series [especially the micro cube or cube 20 upwards is good
Also the vyper is great, or perhaps a fender mustang.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Sep 5, 2011,
I personally would stay away from Epiphones in this price range, the Ibanez, ESP/LTD, and Jackson are much nicer.

I also suggest a Peavey Vypyr. I have one and once you learn how to use the controls (yes for some there is a learning curve) you will get a lot of the tones you want. Everything from surf guitar to death metal.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
try greg bennett guitars like the UM3 or CD3. or if you want you can get the IC30 with locking tremolo... those guitars are around $200-400...

but what the other guys said is true, you should also invest on a good amp, because around 90% of the "GOOD" stuff has to come from the amp... having a good guitar with a bad amp will just ruin it.

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/um3.html

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/cd3.html

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/ic30.html <looks like an Ibanez RG
Last edited by chattermafia at Sep 5, 2011,
I could not suggest the Ibanez ART series and Peavey Vypyr highly enough for a setup. Also something like the RGA32 is pretty awesome too. Depends if you want Single or double cut. Number of frets etc

Basically what Wisthekiller said
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Epiphone G-400 vintage is $299, then look at some thing like the Vyper 30 combo @$200ish.

This will be one of the better cheap setups that will be "easy" to find.

If you can buy to day you can get an extra 15% off or more from musicianfriend (most retailers will match this though)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Wisthekiller

What do all those do?

My 2 favorite bands are Anaal Nathrakh and Trivium, so sounding like those I guess
Passive pickups (eg. Dimarzio / Seymour Duncan) are just straight up magnetic pickups found in most guitars, they are considered by most to be more natural sounding and compliment the tone woods of higher end guitars whilst also being cheaper to manufacture.
Active pickups (eg EMG) use a battery to power them so that they can run at a higher output. Used primarily in Metal music by bands like Metallica and Trivium (amongst thousands of others). People like their clarity and output. They are rarely found in lower end guitars and EMG HZ =/= EMG so avoid them.

Hardtail bridges, found in many styles including (but not limited to) Tune O Matic bridges are good for tuning stability and all purpose guitars. The strings often go through the body and increase the sustain of the guitar due to the vibrations being carried through the bulk of the guitar. No tremolo unfortunately.
Floyd rose bridges are double locking tremolos used in lots of metal music for dive bombs and insane pitch changes (see Herman Lee, Steve Vai). Be wary however as they can limit your guitars sustain, causing tuning problems if you wish to alter tunings and restringing can sometimes be a pain. Also some cheap licensed trems are pretty poor quality and seriously affect playability.

22 / 24 fret is self explanatory assuming you know what a fret is :p However often 24 fret guitars will be 25.5" scale and 22 fret are 24.75". Best bet is to try both and see which you prefer.

HxH = Humbucker in the neck and bridge. No middle pickup. Also called HH configuration
XXH = One humbucker. Usuaully in the bridge. Made famous by EVH and Chuck from Death
HSH = Hum, Single, Hum. Lots of tonal options with the 5 way pickup selector. Good for covering lots of sounds.
SSH = Single, Single, Hum. Again lots of tonal options. With the two singles you can get a lot of 'in between' sounds that people with Stratocasters swear by.
SSS = Single, Single, Single. See standard stratocaster configuration
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
do some reading up on guitar, features, Brands e.t.c then you will have a more personal to you choice of guitar.
if you know about all the features, you can just say, i want blah blah blah, with blah blah blah in the shape of a blah blah blah. and you'll get some more defined responces.
Also as a follow up to what Lespauljames said. Go into a local guitar shop and try things! The most important thing is how the guitar feels to you when plaing. You could be handed a custom PRS but if you don't like playing it is as worthless as your current guitar.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40