Hey guys. I had a small question for you, and I couldn't find the right thread on UG forum, so I'm putting it here. Please don't flame me, its my first thread.

Ok, I own an Ibanez GRG170DX right now, had it since March or April. I recently got a new guitar teacher (who occasionally plays professionally btw) and he's recommended that I buy a Squier Stratocaster. I looked around and found that the Classic Vibe 50s have a good review.

Now HERE'S the big question. Should I sell the Ibanez and go with the Squier? I've played for about 1 1/2 - 2 years and haven't settled on a particular genre. Which is the better option? Btw i might be able to get some Duncans or DiMarzios put in.

This is NOT a 'V.S.' thread. I want to get a comparison of the features of both, which styles they're suitable for, the playability factor, etc. I'm looking at a versatile one.

Any replies appreciated, thanks!
I got the Ibanez Gio and my friend has Fender Squier. I can tell you this if you want to play metal stay with the ibanez the sound and the fretboard are much more appropriate if you like Led Zeppelin sounds or that old rockin sounds go with the fender Squier it fits right in!
IMO the Ibanez is more versatile. This kinda seems like you're gonna buy another entry-level guitar just because you can. I'd either get both, or just wait and buy a nicer guitar that you feel is the best thing for YOU when you can afford to
I don't know much about Fender guitars, especially not their lower end guitars. But I do have an Ibanez GRG170DXL (lefthanded version, but otherwhise exactly the same as yours).

So here's my opinion. The Ibanez is a very good guitar for it's price range, but its hard not to notice that this guitar has been designed with metal in the back of the head. So if you plan to use a lot of distortion, the Ibanez will probably blow your Fender away.
Luckily for me, I'm a metal man, so I'm very pleased by this

Don't sell the Ibanez until you've tried out the Fender for a while. Sometimes a guitar seems good at first, but once you get to know it, it might be a let-down. The other way around is equally true, btw.

As for pickups: I'm just a noob about pups myself, but I think a lot of people will caution you to wait till you have a higher-end guitar to switch its pups with higher-end ones.
"I'm not retreating, I'm initiating an offensive manouvre in the opposite direction!"
gio>squier

i, as it seems, most others here, also have the GRG170DX and it's a good guitar.

i'd say it's much better than a squier standard (bullet/affinity) strat but i dont know about the special series ones (classic vibe etc)

i personally would stick with the GRG170DX
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Thanks for all the inputs. I need a little more detail tho.

As a third possibility, an epi les paul?

EDIT: I'm into instrumental, hard and classic rock, heavy metal. Budget around $300, can go a little over if need be.
Last edited by ibanez1997 at Sep 5, 2011,
Quote by ibanez1997
Thanks for all the inputs. I need a little more detail tho.

As a third possibility, an epi les paul?

For $350 you could get a used RG570. I got mine in near-mint condition for $380, and that was from Guitar Center.
Heres a better idea. for 300 bucks you can grab a used Fender in near perfect condition. I see them all the time on guitar centers used section.

I got my 2008 Fender MIM standard P bass for 318 after shipping and taxes, all it had wrong was a minor scratch on the back of the upper horn. other then that it was brand new.

If you grab a fat strat (now known as a HSS) you can easily upgrade the pups later to give you more out put.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Yeah...

@Pac_man0123:
So, overall, what you're saying is that the Ibanez is more versatile and will work better with overdrive/distortion? Cause I found the RG321E for $240, AND its got EMG passives. So will ibanez suit my needs better? I mentioned that I play instrumental and hard rock as well as metal.
Last edited by ibanez1997 at Sep 5, 2011,
I would recommend you set up your ibanez first,lower your action,get your neck adjusted,and see how it changes the playability, a properly set up Ibby will make learning difficult passage easier, I use ibbys with low action 1.8mm low E/1.5mm high E as woodshedders,but strats for playing live,there are certin gilbertisms that are FAR easier to play on ibbys,and certin yngwieisms that are easier on strats.
Quote by ibanez1997
Yeah...

@Pac_man0123:
So, overall, what you're saying is that the Ibanez is more versatile and will work better with overdrive/distortion? Cause I found the RG321E for $240, AND its got EMG passives. So will ibanez suit my needs better? I mentioned that I play instrumental and hard rock as well as metal.

Assuming you like how the Ibanez looks and feels, I would recommend it. The 321 isn't MIJ, but it's still a pretty solid guitar.

$240 seems like a lot for a used one, though... even with the pickup change.
I actually had both. The Squier was my first guitar and the Ibanez my second. Not a huge upgrade, but the Ibanez is better. Better sound (almost like a Jackson RR3), easier to play, 24 frets, extremely low action, more versatile, etc. Extremely good guitar for the price.
I prefer superstrats, like the Ibanez RG's.

I didn't like the playability or tone of my strat until I put a wide flat neck on it, 43mm at the nut. I also put a humbucker at the bridge, and now it sounds sweet. I don't like single coils. So I guess it can no longer be considered much of a strat anymore.

I love LP tone, but don't like their playability as much. I like the 25.5" scale vs. the 24 3/4". I'm tall with large hands, and I've found it makes a difference for me.

I've also blocked the tremolo on both of my floyd rose equipped guitars. They tune easier and play better.
I've played Ibanez GIO for 3 years, and I bought a 1500$ guitar (all the pro features equipped) and I have to say it doesn't sound much better... GIO with stock pickups can make walls shake, really its a great guitar for the price.

Ibanez GIO is a great guitar, it might not be top quality finish or whatever, but it sounds awesome. I still pick it up from time to time.
Quote by ibanez1997
Thanks to everyone for the great advice! Guess I'll stick with the GIO...is it worth putting some EMGs in or should I get a better axe first?

I wouldn't get pickups more expensive than GFS for a guitar that cheap. They aren't the best pickups in the world but they're a step up from the stock Gio pickups.
Pls recommend which will be the best among the following for metal and all...:
1.squier affinity strat
2.epi lp special II
3. Epi SG special
4. Ibanez grx70qa
I have an line 6 helix ..so I just want a guitar among these which will be able to handle gr8 distortion and overdrives and all
And also...I want a tremolo bar
So pls help me in choosing between the squier affinity strat and ibanez grx70qa