I like that 70's classic sound so I've been playing through a Bugera 1960 which is basically a plexi inspired in the 100W Marshall heads. Although the sound is really great and meets my needs as a bassist, I cannot depend on the Bugera because it's the third time I got to get it repaired. So I was wondering if there's anyone that also uses guitar heads with bass cabs could tell me which amplifiers sound good. I know that some Oranges sound good on bass. I've tried the Rocker 30 and the Tunderverb 200. They sound great, especially the Thunderverb. And I know of amps from Green, Matamp, Electric, Sound City, Sunn and such were heavily used on bass and guitar, like the vintage Marshalls. Also, I've got the oportunity of buying a 120W Sound City slave unit. But, of course, I will need some sort of pre-amp. Any ideas on that?
Massive drool. That's all I can say to the list of amps you've tried. Wow.

I know nothing about sound city and I'm not all that sure on slave units. Would you need a preamp or another full amp to go with it?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Massive drool. That's all I can say to the list of amps you've tried. Wow.

I know nothing about sound city and I'm not all that sure on slave units. Would you need a preamp or another full amp to go with it?

Well, I could use a single pre-amp or use the preamp of another full amplifier, using the power from the slave unit. And I also can use a pedal like a Sansamp D.I. or an equalizer. At least it's what I've been told. The thing is, I don't know if it's a good choice because it can get expensive. I mean, the slave unit alone is +300€ and it needs 6 new EL34 and 2 pre-amp valves.
Sound City amplifiers are first-rate. They became Hiwatt amps. Any Sound City amp is going to be pretty old, though. Have it checked out.

A Tech 21 SansAmp RPM or RBI would be a fine preamp for such a rig.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Sound City amplifiers are first-rate. They became Hiwatt amps. Any Sound City amp is going to be pretty old, though. Have it checked out.

A Tech 21 SansAmp RPM or RBI would be a fine preamp for such a rig.

Yeah, it's pretty old. It's from the 70's. I'll check those preamps out. Thanks!
I have used guitar heads for bass.
I used to run a 50 watt laney tube head,but it simply didn't have the balls,and wasn't going to last forever,so I moved up a step.
I found an old 200 watt valve P.A head from the 70's.Couldn't be happier.
I had a tech look over it,had the KT88's replaced,brought it up to 230 watts.
My advice is,don't worry about brand,something obscure and mysterious is likely going to be just as good and alot cheaper than say,a Marshall major.
KT88's if you can.
Find as a high wattage as reasonably possible.Your not likely to find a tube amp higher than 300 watts.Don't bother with anything under 100 watts.
And big cabinets are your friend.They pair well with tube bass heads.

EDIT:If it's old,get it checked over well,the caps will most likely need looking at
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Last edited by Ian hawkins at Sep 5, 2011,
The Orange Terror Bass, but I am not sure if it is "all" tube.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Ian hawkins
I have used guitar heads for bass.
I used to run a 50 watt laney tube head,but it simply didn't have the balls,and wasn't going to last forever,so I moved up a step.
I found an old 200 watt valve P.A head from the 70's.Couldn't be happier.
I had a tech look over it,had the KT88's replaced,brought it up to 230 watts.
My advice is,don't worry about brand,something obscure and mysterious is likely going to be just as good and alot cheaper than say,a Marshall major.
KT88's if you can.
Find as a high wattage as reasonably possible.Your not likely to find a tube amp higher than 300 watts.Don't bother with anything under 100 watts.
And big cabinets are your friend.They pair well with tube bass heads.

EDIT:If it's old,get it checked over well,the caps will most likely need looking at

I also was trying to find P.A. heads. They're awesome and have a great power.
I also heard KT88's were perfect for bass. They're in some Matamps.
Thanks for the advice and let me just say I envy you so much for having a 230W (jesus!) P.A. head from the 70's!
did you mic the 50 watt head? I am curious about getting a generic "metal" 100 watt tube guitar head, and with some EQ use it or in conjunction with a SS head to make a mixed sound, I just at the moment have no money to contribute to a PA, so I don't want to spend money on something that'll be faint in the background of things
Strictly speaking,I'm not supposed to post this due to managment,but I feel I can share this with my U.G bretherin.This is what 230W of KT88 sounds like
Unititled:
http://soundcloud.com/the-sun-has-a-face/untitled/s-uUsFg

askrere:
I mic'd it up where needed.I honestly beleive there is no point taking a tube amp to a gig unless your going to mic it..Worst comes to worse,and there's no reall bass mic.combine a D.I with an SM57 and you'll get through.
Personally,I think modern guitar amps aren't quite so suitable for bass.A metal amp will possibly have a pre-determined mid scoop in it = not ideal for bass.
Less is more really,when it comes to dials.E.Q,pre,post vol are pretty much all you need.I think dirt is better hanlded by pedals than amps for bass.

Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Strictly speaking,I'm not supposed to post this due to managment,but I feel I can share this with my U.G bretherin.This is what 230W of KT88 sounds like
Unititled:
http://soundcloud.com/the-sun-has-a-face/untitled/s-uUsFg

askrere:
I mic'd it up where needed.I honestly beleive there is no point taking a tube amp to a gig unless your going to mic it..Worst comes to worse,and there's no reall bass mic.combine a D.I with an SM57 and you'll get through.
Personally,I think modern guitar amps aren't quite so suitable for bass.A metal amp will possibly have a pre-determined mid scoop in it = not ideal for bass.
Less is more really,when it comes to dials.E.Q,pre,post vol are pretty much all you need.I think dirt is better hanlded by pedals than amps for bass.

Dude, that sounds brutal! What cabinet, bass and pedals were you using, if you don't mind me asking that?
But yeah, when you play in gigs or you record it's best to mic the amp. Because the sound you can get from a tube amp is just brutal, especially if you use distortion pedals and such.
And you're right about the modern guitar amps. There is no modern guitar amp who can live up to be used for bass. Nowadays, you can only count on ebay and reissues and replicas. That's my case.
And also, nice song and nice sound
I've just read people use things like the peavey windsor, older crate and peavey heads etc
Quote by askrere
I've just read people use things like the peavey windsor, older crate and peavey heads etc

You can achieve a good tone with a generic metal bass, like you said. From what I know, I can tell you it will lack warmness, roundness, body and presence (I hope you can understand what I'm saying by using some of these terms).
But you'll never know until you've tried it. Maybe it will sound good. But, I assume that it will not have much balls.
Oh I'm sure it wouldn't be 100% perfect, I just thought one used, with a used EQ pedal and such would be a cheap alternative to buying pricey vintage bass gear
Quote by askrere
Oh I'm sure it wouldn't be 100% perfect, I just thought one used, with a used EQ pedal and such would be a cheap alternative to buying pricey vintage bass gear

You don't need pricey vintage bass gear. You can look into replicas and used stuff. If you search well, sometimes you find the opportunity of a lifetime! But yeah, it's a cheap alternative and it might be good. Just plug the amp through a bass cab and you're good.
Way too many musicians overlook the fact that vintage gear is often a maintenance nightmare. Old tube amps often need a serious (and seriously expensive) overhaul; old pedals may have worn-out components, and a lot of old gear has seen hard use. Choose carefully, and don't fall for the myth that "older is better." There is a lot of great new and improved gear out there that is vastly superior to anything produced back in the old days. Keep an open mind and open ears and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Way too many musicians overlook the fact that vintage gear is often a maintenance nightmare. Old tube amps often need a serious (and seriously expensive) overhaul; old pedals may have worn-out components, and a lot of old gear has seen hard use. Choose carefully, and don't fall for the myth that "older is better." There is a lot of great new and improved gear out there that is vastly superior to anything produced back in the old days. Keep an open mind and open ears and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, I agree with this. My 93 Trace Elliot RAH350SMX needed some love after sitting for 10 years, mainly just the fuse holders needed replacing, and the pots are kinda scratchy, but time does it's toll on amps, thankfully it's a SS hybrid amp, and doesn't need the same maintenance as a tube amp.

If you are looking at gear like that, why not get a really big Acoustic or Mark Bass amp?
Quote by FatalGear41

I heartily agree, but many tube bass amps are very old and very expensive or new and very expensive. I have no desire unless it was a good deal to own say a real 50's guitar just because it sounds like a museum piece, because it's a marvel that it's survived that long

Where's a good place for copies?
If you're thinking of going the all tube poweramp route, keep an eye out for old peavey 60/60s and 50/50s as well as the 100w carvin tube power amp. I've seen the peaveys show up pretty regularly and carvin is common enough that I bet you can run into some used ones as well.

Shame about the 1960 breaking multiple times. I've really been thinking about getting one to use for bass. Just got a new job too so I should actually have the cash to get one in the next few weeks.
Grooevey -elephant:
I'd be happy to answer.It's a peavey t-40 bass (very heavy,with a thick neck humbucker) into a tuner pedal,which splits signal in two.Being a P.A head,I cane make use of multiple inputs,which allows me to run a wet/dry signal.
From the splitter,it goes through a boss DS-2,cascaded into a big muff.This gives an out of control,smooth fuzz.
Into the P.A head,then through an off brand 8x10.Chorus and delay delay for the freakout bit.Topped off with a unique picking style.Quite proud of that sound actually.If you like it,suss my band on facebook,were called the underhanded

Askere: If you've got that stuff already,by all means,go forth and experiment,let us know how it sounds!
I only started using tube amps,becuase the ole solid state blew up one day,which brings me onto another topic.Repairs.
When I got the beast,it ran on 1 6l6,and 3 KT88's,all 3 of which said 'made in england',so it was definantly time for a service.repairs are certainly not cheap,but once you bite the bullet and give it proper looking over,they can run perfectly fine.

Get a power amp, a vintage imitation guitar pre, a bass pre and you're set to go?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright