Hey UG! I want to buy an USB device, so i can start recording. I want a device which can emulate some sounds, and record a mic'd amp. Which one is good?? I've heard good and bad things about the Line 6 UX2, but it is one of the only devices i've found, that suits my needs. But I'm not sure abuot, how good it is. My main recording-style would be with a Mic'd amp, but i need the other possibility aswell.

Oh, one last thing! I know that i need some software, so I can record. Which one is good for beginners, who want some good stuff?
M-Audio FastTrack Pro is pretty good
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I love how his last name is Hunt
It's like he was destined to be a shady sexual creep
Check out the Zoom R series- they make an 8, 16 and 24 track multitracker which also acts as a PC interface and software controller. It usually comes bundled with a copy of Cubase, but can control most of the commonly used software packages.

Its also worth checking out the other multitrackers that are out there- they can usually be purchased cheaply 2nd hand on ebay. Not all have the same interface/controller capability of the Zoom units, but they can take you through to a completed recording from start to finish without having to use external equipment and therefore you aren't reliant on a PC which may not have adequate capability for what you're attempting.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I can vouch for the Zoom R16. Monstrously flexible. It also has built in FX. I tend to use it as a stand-alone recorder then whip the SD card out and do all my editing in Reaper.

Then again, if I'm just sketching something out, I'll just plug straight into the line in* of the PC and use Reaper with some of the many excellent free VSTi plug-ins (like AcmeBarGig's Shred).

If you want really basic multi-track recording on your PC then there's Audacity - but you'd be as well to get familiar with proper DAW software, as it's not too much more complex.

*NB: doing this will not give you a very hot input, but it's good enough for roughing out.
Last edited by von Layzonfon at Sep 5, 2011,
I found the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, which suits my budget perfect! Any comments on that device?
Quote by ABrandNewName1
I found the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, which suits my budget perfect! Any comments on that device?

That's the one you want. Everything else in that price range is very similar. I have owned a Line 6 UX2, Lambda Lexicon, and have used a M-Audio Fast Track Pro a lot, and these three are all on pretty level ground.

Just stay away from the M-Audio Mobile Pre (only interface I had that I absolutely hated).

If you don't know how to mix though you are probably going to get the same quality on all of them to be honest though.
Quote by ABrandNewName1

I got one of these this summer and I love it. The mic preamps are the absolute best in the price range.
Yeh the preamps in the saffire 6 usb are the same as their top of the range models
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

Quote by ABrandNewName1

I love mine and I own a few others.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I'd go for the Focusrite Scarlet if you've got the extra cash but Focusrite on a whole is a great way to go.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by ABrandNewName1

Get this one.

Great interface, best one in its price range, unless you have FireWire.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 9, 2011,
presonus audiobox
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial