Hello,

I am interested in learning how to play guitar, mostly metal, and am looking for advice on a decent guitar and amp to start with. I was also wondering if there is anything else I should pick up besides the guitar and amp... right now I was looking at getting:

Line 6 Spider IV and either this (Dean Vendetta XM) or this (Dean ML XM)

I would really like others' opinions before making a purchase though; any tips are definitely appreciated as well.

Thanks

EDIT: I forgot to add that my budget is preferably around $200 for the guitar and $100 for the amp max to start with until I get better and decide if I want to keep on playing.
Last edited by xally at Sep 5, 2011,
go see if you can try them. I know that yo are new to this, but you want to get an idea of the feal of the guitar. Is it comfortable fealing.
As for the amp that will work fine, you may wan to look up some clips on youtube of it and some other small modeling amps like the Peavey Vyper and Vox VT.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube for the amp. Look used, used instruments and amps are often sold for close to half the original price.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Peavey Vypyr is a better amp than the Spider.

I have actually owned that Dean, and I can't stress enough that you should not get that guitar. It's easily the worst guitar construction wise I have ever held.

Get something like a used Ibanez RG321 or RG2EX1. Out of all the low end/ entry guitars out there, I have consistently found Ibanez to be the best brand to go with. they have excellent build quality and quality control at that level. stay away from Dean, Epiphone and BC Rich. Schecter is hit and miss, as is LTD.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I just got the Vendetta XM a few days ago for $100, I like it a lot so far. It's got a decent metal sound, the string-through design does a good job of keeping it in tune, and the fretboard is nice and smooth. Plus it looks awesome! It's definitely a good choice if you're on a tight budget, and honestly I don't think $200 is gonna get you anything that much better. I also have the line 6 amp, put together with the Vendetta it's a decent setup for the price. You might want to get a distortion pedal like the Boss metal zone or Metal core, but even without them the amp makes pretty good distortion on the "insane" setting, so you can get by with just the guitar and amp, until you move on to something better. Don't get me wrong, It's not comparable to a Marshall amp with a real Gibson or anything, but it's perfect for a beginner or even someone who's been playing guitar for awhile. I say go for it, just make sure you put some good strings on the guitar!
Thanks for the replies, is this the Vypyr amp you are all referring to?

Also, which Dean guitar were you referring to? Or should I just stay away from both of them.

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.

By the way, I'm trying to stay at Amazon as much as possible because of the free 2-day shipping from my student prime membership, and their customer service is usually pretty great if I have any problems. But if anyone wants to recommend a different place to buy, feel free.

Quote by GimmeThemCheese
I just got the Vendetta XM a few days ago for $100, I like it a lot so far. It's got a decent metal sound, the string-through design does a good job of keeping it in tune, and the fretboard is nice and smooth. Plus it looks awesome! It's definitely a good choice if you're on a tight budget, and honestly I don't think $200 is gonna get you anything that much better. I also have the line 6 amp, put together with the Vendetta it's a decent setup for the price. You might want to get a distortion pedal like the Boss metal zone or Metal core, but even without them the amp makes pretty good distortion on the "insane" setting, so you can get by with just the guitar and amp, until you move on to something better. Don't get me wrong, It's not comparable to a Marshall amp with a real Gibson or anything, but it's perfect for a beginner or even someone who's been playing guitar for awhile. I say go for it, just make sure you put some good strings on the guitar!

Thanks for the feedback, if I do get a Dean, it will probably be the Vendetta, I've held a guitar with a similar body stye to the ML and it wasn't very comfortable to me anyway.

Are there "good" string brands, or just anything other than stock?
Yes, that is the Peavey. and I was pretty much talking about all of the cheaper Deans.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks again for all of the help.. I found a craigslist posting that I think is a decent deal; it's actually the Dean Vendetta and a 15w Peavey Vypyr for $80, I figure I'll just get it, then if I end up not liking the Dean I can just get a different guitar.. I mean $80 is less than what I was going to spend on the amp alone anyways.

I tried looking for some used Ibanez's, but many were in the ~$700 range, or bass guitars on craigslist in my area.

Hopefully everything is in good condition, is there anything I should look for specifically when buying a used guitar/amp?
I would get a peavey vypyr or a line 6 spider or you can always just get any small amp and get like a pedal with a lot of distortion like a boss metal zone or metal core
Quote by xally
Hello,

I am interested in learning how to play guitar, mostly metal, and am looking for advice on a decent guitar and amp to start with. I was also wondering if there is anything else I should pick up besides the guitar and amp... right now I was looking at getting:

Line 6 Spider IV and either this (Dean Vendetta XM) or this (Dean ML XM)

I would really like others' opinions before making a purchase though; any tips are definitely appreciated as well.

Thanks

EDIT: I forgot to add that my budget is preferably around $200 for the guitar and $100 for the amp max to start with until I get better and decide if I want to keep on playing.
15 years old playing 4 years and no lessons. Guitars:Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Amps:Peavey 6505+ head, Peavey Classic 50 combo, Peavey audition 110. Effects:IbanezTS-9, Dunlop535qwah, BossMT-2. YouTube A7Xguitarplayer0272
2nd hand Ibanez RG321 or GRG121

2nd hand Peavey Vypyr 15

Good luck and welcome to the world of GAS.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Thanks again for everyone's help; the deal on craigslist didn't end up working out.

I went ahead and got a Dean Vendetta XMT for $90 for now, until I can find a decent used guitar, I'll just give away or sell my Dean when I move on.

I'm definitely going with the Peavey, do you guys think I should just get the 15w for now, or spend a bit more on the 30w? I can get a 30w used local for $150, 15w used for $80.
If you're willing to shell out, I absolutely recommend the 30 over the 15. Its a much better amp. I usually never recommend the 15, unless that's all the person can afford.

The 30 has Sanpera capability, a 12" speaker, and the "Effects" knob - all of that makes it a MASSIVE step up from the 15.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks for the reply; I decided to pick up the 15 for now, mainly because Amazon was unable to cancel my order on it; I'll be watching for local deals on the 30, if nothing comes up I will just order one new and give my fiancee the 15 for her electric violin, assuming it works decently with it. If it doesn't work I'll probably just give it to her little brother, since he has a pretty bad $20 amp right now.

In total I ordered: Guitar, amp, 9, 10, and 11ga slinky strings (to experiment and find what I like, I'll probably start with the 10ga though and use them for a while before trying others), picks, a cable, a guitar stand, and a string winder/cutter... is there anything else you think I should get? I do plan on learning how to set up my guitar and doing most things myself.
Do you have a tuner?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I figured I'd use the built in feature on the vypyr, should I get a standalone one though?

EDIT: Searched around a bit, will any tuner work decently? I was thinking about getting this one http://www.amazon.com/Korg-CA-40-Large-Display-Chromatic/dp/B000EE8YPK/

EDIT2: I just went ahead and ordered the one I linked after reading some bad things about the built in tuners on the vypyrs, it seems like the CA-40 will work decently for me.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
Thanks for the feedback, if I do get a Dean, it will probably be the Vendetta, I've held a guitar with a similar body stye to the ML and it wasn't very comfortable to me anyway.

Are there "good" string brands, or just anything other than stock?

No problem. yeah I think almost any type of strings would be an upgrade from the stock ones. Try some Ernie Ball or Dean Markleys, and if you want to play metal I'd recommend a thicker gauge set. These are the ones I got to put on the Vendetta

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DR-Strings-Tite-Fit-EH-11-Extra-Heavy-Nickel-Plated-Electric-Guitar-Strings-100138250-i1123226.gc
I just have one last question... when ordering the Dean Vendetta I noticed something; I could either get:

Vendetta XMT for $100 (Which is just an XM with a tremolo as far as I know)

or

Vendetta XM + Hard case and a bunch of other stuff for $110

As of right now I have the XM with the hard case and extras ordered, since it seemed like that was a better deal, but I can still cancel and re-order the XMT.

Do you guys think I should go for the XMT instead to get the tremolo, or would it be better to stick with the XM deal for my first guitar, and worry about tremolos later?

Thanks.
Youre better off without a trem for your first guitar.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X