Okay I got a new guitar yesterday from Music Go Round. It was an LTD MH-301 and I abosutely love it. The guitar is amazing and I got it for an amazing deal, it was orginally 229.99 used but being I know the manager of the music go round there and I happen to drop by on his shift he knocked it down to 179.99. I toke it cause it was an amazing deal with the Neck Through, EMG Pickups, Maghogany Body, Maple Rosewood Neck, 24 Fret and XL jumbo frets and not to forgot the Coil Taps and Floyd Rose.

But he couldn't answer what gauge strings were on it, so I bought it and a pack of "Not Even Slinky" Ernie Balls. When I measured them all with my micrometer they were a set of light 9 guages.

My question is, Would I want to put the "Not Even Slinky" strings on my new Mh-301? I would like to use this guitar for gigging and practice. On my Les Paul I practiced on before I got this I recently put "Heavy Bottom" Ernie Balls on. Im fine with those for bending and soloing.

Refernce: String Gauges for "Not Even Slinky"; 56 44 32 24p 16 12
Refernce: String Gauges for "Heavy Bottom"; 52 42 30 17 13 10

In my honest opinion it wouldnt be that much of a change because I went from a light 9 gauge set to the heavy bottoms in my playing lifetime earlier with no problems at all, like within 6 months of when I first started playing and I been playing like 4-5 years now.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
you'll need to set the FR up for those gauge stings and you'll be in there.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
you'll need to set the FR up for those gauge stings and you'll be in there.

pretty much this
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
You can use whatever gauge you want, you'll just have to setup your guitar for whatever gauge you choose. There is an excellent sticky about the subject in thus forum.

Also, excellent choice in guitar, and at that price... I am truly jealous.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You can use whatever gauge you want, you'll just have to setup your guitar for whatever gauge you choose. There is an excellent sticky about the subject in thus forum.

Also, excellent choice in guitar, and at that price... I am truly jealous.

Okay (: Thanks, and thank you! It really was, Its in Beautiful condition, Theres no dents, or chips. there are minor signs of wear from ocassional play, but not noticeable till you get super close. The quilted maple top is abosutely beautiful, it has scruffs on the headstock where someone toke the tuners off and replaced with some nice Schallers. The pick up rings could used changed so I'll probably do that when I change strings. And its missing the one screw in the backplate. But besides that, its perfect!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Cheers to owning a model from when LTD was at its peak. I love the Hell out of my H-301.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Xter
Okay I got a new guitar yesterday from Music Go Round. It was an LTD MH-301 and I abosutely love it. The guitar is amazing and I got it for an amazing deal, it was orginally 229.99 used but being I know the manager of the music go round there and I happen to drop by on his shift he knocked it down to 179.99. I toke it cause it was an amazing deal with the Neck Through, EMG Pickups, Maghogany Body, Maple Rosewood Neck, 24 Fret and XL jumbo frets and not to forgot the Coil Taps and Floyd Rose.

But he couldn't answer what gauge strings were on it, so I bought it and a pack of "Not Even Slinky" Ernie Balls. When I measured them all with my micrometer they were a set of light 9 guages.

My question is, Would I want to put the "Not Even Slinky" strings on my new Mh-301? I would like to use this guitar for gigging and practice. On my Les Paul I practiced on before I got this I recently put "Heavy Bottom" Ernie Balls on. Im fine with those for bending and soloing.

In my honest opinion it wouldnt be that much of a change because I went from a light 9 gauge set to the heavy bottoms in my playing lifetime earlier with no problems at all, like within 6 months of when I first started playing and I been playing like 4-5 years now.

you have to be very careful here.

because you're talking about a lower end or (in this case) used, low cost floyd set up for a specific gauge.
if you love how it plays, i suggest you keep the same gauge.

you start changing the guage, and it's going to be a pill to set it up to exactly
the same.
you'll need to level the bridge, and maybe adjust the rod.

on intermediate guitars and up. or on fixed bridge guitars, this is not an issue.

but you have a $200 floyd bridge guitar.
usually that means, you'll want to keep close to factory (current) settings for best playability.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 5, 2011,
Quote by Xter

MOST guitars come with a factory-stock 9-42 strings. If you are not sure of your guitar's string gauge, buy yourself an Ernie-Ball 10-46 string and have a luthier set up the guitar for you. From then on, work your way up the string gauge levels to test which guitar strings are the best. A simple produce specs info check will tell you.
^ well it's used so you want know gauge without a caliper.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
^ well it's used so you want know gauge without a caliper.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are talking about?
you were talking about factory specs.
i meant to type you "wont" know gauge....

i was just pointing out, that because it's a used guitar,
he needed to use a caliper.

in his case it's set up for 9's.

so on a used floyd, generally speaking it's best to keep the same gauge.
especially if it's working well.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
you were talking about factory specs.
i meant to type you "wont" know gauge....

i was just pointing out, that because it's a used guitar,
he needed to use a caliper.

in his case it's set up for 9's.

so on a used floyd, generally speaking it's best to keep the same gauge.
especially if it's working well.

Well, I'm worried, because most of the used guitars are of poor quality. A used Squier Bullet Strat I tested back in the market was a total disappointment. It had a horrendously unstable bridge, poor quality nut, etc.