I'm using a fender strat replica (cheap, starter guitar - will move on to a better guitar once I've got the hang of it) and I'm having a little trouble getting it in tune.

I've been using the relative tuning method, using the 5th fret to tune the next string, apart from the 3rd string, which you use the 4th fret I believe. Anyway, I'm trying to match the 5th fret of the 6th string to tune the 5th string...but once I get to a certain tightness, the tuning peg stops resisting moving and rotates quite loosely, however the string doesn't become anymore tightened. The screw holding in the tuning peg also becomes loose.

Now I don't know if this is just a consequence of having a low quality guitar, or whether I'm doing something wrong here - either way, I think it's part of the problem.

Can anyone offer any insights here? Would be much appreciated.
its a low quality guitar or you dont have the ears and you are over or under tightening the strings, if you are are over tightening its the guitar anyway but at least you are not breaking the strings. take it to a guitar shop and have the tuning pegs fixed or replaced.
It might be time for a set of new strings. Also, get yourself a tuner.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JDPasalacqua
I'm using a fender strat replica (cheap, starter guitar - will move on to a better guitar once I've got the hang of it) and I'm having a little trouble getting it in tune.

I've been using the relative tuning method, using the 5th fret to tune the next string, apart from the 3rd string, which you use the 4th fret I believe. Anyway, I'm trying to match the 5th fret of the 6th string to tune the 5th string...but once I get to a certain tightness, the tuning peg stops resisting moving and rotates quite loosely, however the string doesn't become anymore tightened. The screw holding in the tuning peg also becomes loose.

Now I don't know if this is just a consequence of having a low quality guitar, or whether I'm doing something wrong here - either way, I think it's part of the problem.

Can anyone offer any insights here? Would be much appreciated.

ALWAYS have a tuner handy! A tuner is MUCH MORE ACCURATE than a human ear OR a piano! Also, if the tuners are stuck, it's probably a bad quality tuner. Replace the tuners with Schaller's locking nuts, which you can easily find on market. OR as a cheap alternate, try greasing the tuners and tightening the screw that holds the tuners (round things that surround the string peg). If that doesn't work, then get yourself a set of new tuning pegs. A simple check with a small wrench will tell you.