Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, i need some advice on small amps..

First off a few info (to avoid questions):

- Will not be gigging
- Small apartment room and probably can't be too loud
- Music i play: Quite literally everything from clean, to hard rock, used to play metal but not so much now.. actually i now mostly play christian songs, but occasionally play a few metal songs every now and then but it is not important at all ( ill plug in my gt-10 for those sounds)
- Budget: n/a im willing to save up but the most i want to spend is around 800-1000 because im also saving up to get a new guitar (current one is an RG3210 prestige)
- Type: Obviously all the craze is about valve amps, but my concern is will i be able to get clean sounds at a somewhat restricted volumes, and how much does maintenance cost will be (biasing and changing tubes)
- What i definitely dont want: Microcube/roland cubes (i have a micro, and have grown tired and have tried all the other cubes and find them to be just the same thing just louder)

What i have read about and liked but havent tried any:
Tiny terror combo
Blackstar HT20
Fender blues junior
Depends of what you want to play exactly , but I'd go for the Tiny terror combo.
- - - - - - - - - - -
if i can't crank it.. would i be better off buying a solid state ? and i have read somewhere that at low volumes it can't really have a good clean tone ?
my blues junior was clean at low volumes.

i mean it's a beautiful amp for clean, rock, christian, and with a pedal you can do some metal..
but to be honest, it's not going to be a lot of fun in a small bedroom apartment, low volume type situation.

if i had to do that, and had a grand to spend,
i'd probably get a really NICE solid state modeling amp.
something that i could use a headphone option for late night practice.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I own a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and I plugged in an attenuator.

I can now play the amplifier on the drive channel with both master and drive volume at 3 instead of 1 and 0.5. If I talk, it's about the same volume and with the bass and treble boost in the attenuator, I don't really see a negative difference between on and off.

I could not live without it anymore.
Can you list some bands you play so we van get an idea of what tones you need?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My only dillemma is.. i would like to buy a new guitar, or just have a different tone to what i have now.. im just in such a rut that i feel i need something new.. i need a new tone to get me back up again rather than having a digital modeling amp making it for me. and if i buy a new guitar, i feel like there is no point other than showing off because tone-wise it wont really change my guitar playing.. That is why i decide i should probably invest on the amp first.. or am i approaching this the wrong way ?

edit: Hillsong (check out nigel hendroff), Planetshakers, petrucci, satriani and also guys like joe bonamassa, velvet revolver, ocassional van halen, megadeth/metallica and motley crue.. and metal wise i used to listen to Lamb of God, shadows fall..etc but im so not into metal right now that im not really thinking about how metal i can make the amp sound
Last edited by Limakontol at Sep 5, 2011,
Do you have a cab? Regardless of that, I strongly recommend you check out the Peavey JSX based on what you listed.

Other options to look into would be a Marshall TSL of some sort, or a Carving V3... I don't know how either of those fare at low volumes though, whereas I know the JSX is great at low volumes.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Do you have a cab? Regardless of that, I strongly recommend you check out the Peavey JSX based on what you listed.

Other options to look into would be a Marshall TSL of some sort, or a Carving V3... I don't know how either of those fare at low volumes though, whereas I know the JSX is great at low volumes.

are these discontinued ? cant find them on the peavey website... heard about it a couple of years back
Aren't those a little big for what he's asking for? Small amp for apartment, can't be too loud.

Obviously you can feather the volume on bigger amps to still get them very quiet, but then you're not really utilizing all of the amp and it would be sort of a waste. I've been taking my 30W Peavey Classic 30 with me wherever I go (Dorm, Apt, home, gigs, etc), but I find at the apt I still turn on my 5W Fender Champ 600 more often. The C30 rarely gets pushed past .5 or 1 on the volume.
Can anyone comment on the tiny terror amp ??

is playing clean at low volume just a no-go with these amps ?lol.. and yeah chip is probably right.. by the time ill be making a noise itll be the time when everyone else would be sleeping..

Just on a side note.. will my gt10 be useless with the purchase of a good valve amp ? connected to a cube it pretty much is, i played a gig the other day and connected it to a pa straight away and just had a monitor speaker. i bought it quite recently, and the reason i bought the gt10 was because the cube was not giving me much room to improve on my tone with the view of it being just a temporary fix..
I think the overall totality and capabilities of the amp are way more important than the wattage. He's not gonna get power amp distortion in.an apartment setting, so it really doesn't matter if the amp is 10W or 100W.

@TS: the JSX is now called the XXX II. They're the same exact amp though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I might occasionally (once a month) bring it to a remote location and crank it, but mostly it'll be strictly low volume in a small apartment where the walls are thin and the times ill play the thing would most likely be at night... however i will spend most of my time in an island in the middle of the ocean (where i can basically play however i loud and all ill be disturbing are the fish)...

Just had an idea,, i might put this particular amp over there.. and just use my gt10 for practice when im staying at the apartment.. but does the hot tropics and salty air destroy the amp in any way ?
Have you considered a GNX4 or something similar? I spent a lot of time having to be quiet and this was pretty good for that.
Quote by D_M_I
Have you considered a GNX4 or something similar? I spent a lot of time having to be quiet and this was pretty good for that.

I have a GT-10 so i guess i can always practice with my headphones on.. its just that i basically have no amp if i dont buy one.. and whilst i started with pretty good gear (pacifica and microcube) i want to improve my tone, and so i bought my first good guitar which is my ibanez.. and plugged into the cube, i cant really sense the difference.. plugged into the gt-10.. i can feel the difference.. and now i just want better gear all round especially with the amp
egnater 15 watt tweaker.

does everything you want and can handle different types of pairs of power tubes for some fun down the road if you want.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 5, 2011,
blackstar ht1-5
jet city picovalve 5w switchable to 2 watts
line 6 flextone
download reaper (its free) and download free vst plugins like nick crow 7170 and lepoue plugins
boss gt10
elevenrack

there is no point in buying a 50w tube amp to play once a month.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
blackstar ht1-5
jet city picovalve 5w switchable to 2 watts
line 6 flextone
download reaper (its free) and download free vst plugins like nick crow 7170 and lepoue plugins
boss gt10
elevenrack

there is no point in buying a 50w tube amp to play once a month.

Yes that's why i said, i might as well bring it to my workplace and leave it there.. and when im back home ill just use my gt-10 for practice... but my question now is.. will the tropic heat and salty air damage the amp ?? the heat would probably hit a constant 35dgrees celcius.. and i will have air conditioning but it wont be on all the time..
Quote by Offworld92
I think the overall totality and capabilities of the amp are way more important than the wattage. He's not gonna get power amp distortion in.an apartment setting, so it really doesn't matter if the amp is 10W or 100W.

Hence why I recommended a $150 amp, with great cleans, instead of a 100W $700+ amp.
Quote by chip46
Hence why I recommended a $150 amp, with great cleans, instead of a 100W $700+ amp.

Pedals won't ever compensate for an amp that naturally has great distortion tone though.

EDIT: amps have volume knobs, and they do work. I live in a small 2 bedroom apt. My main amp is a 120W half stack, and my 5150 is the loudest 2x12 combo I've ever heard. Just because I can't turn them up doesn't mean I'm going to get rid of them, because they have tone I like. And they sound great. You don't have to get a little POS Blackstar just because you need to play quietly. Get whatever amp has the tone you want and use the volume knob.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 5, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
Pedals won't ever compensate for an amp that naturally has great distortion tone though.

Well that's debatable, but I'll go back to your other post:

Quote by Offworld92

??

So...pedals it is

Given you could crank the pre-amp gain up and lower the master volume, but I'd still rather spend way less for a nice low watt clean amp to use with pedals than spend several hundred for an amp with a marginal clean sound, not to mention if you're using the amps distortion then any modulation effects will need to go into the effects loop.

Edit: Never told anyone to get a shitty amp, but w/e. You're the master of all things amps and pedals, I bow down to you
Last edited by chip46 at Sep 5, 2011,
That would be feasible, except that the JSX clean channel sounds better than a Fender Champ anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
That would be feasible, except that the JSX clean channel sounds better than a Fender Champ anyway.

A JSX does not have better cleans than a real Champ. Not even close. Maybe as good as a new Champ 600 but if you buy/make something with a proper circuit like a 5F1 and run it through a decent speaker it will make a JSX sound like crud.

TS, what you probably should get is a good Pod and a nice set of headphones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 5, 2011,
well...do you have pedals? see i play through a small solid state but use pedals for my tone. the amp just makes it loud. m tiny crate practice amp cant get good tone on its own. i woul pretty much find this true for any cheap small solid state.

as for tubes....well, im going to go ahead as say anything over 5 watts is too large for an apartment.

i have a 20 watt tube and simple pushing 20 watts with a 12 inch speaker barely turned up is eenough to feel the bass response rumble off the floor. the people below can feel it. i turn down to about 12 watts (variable power), doesnt help much.

the next amp i get will have a power soak/scaling hopefully in a full range. like the tubemeister, down to 1 watt. that would be amazing for an apartment.

vox 2 watt night train? amazing. and that 2 watts is still loud enough to piss everyone off in a guitar center full of people.

im a humble gutarist who doesnt have my head up my *ss. loud is loud. tube amps and apartments dont mix without some compromises.

edit:

yes ive used the master volume. it makes my amp sound completely different. i think most would agree, tube amps change when turned up. if not, you probably have a VERY VERY well designed one that was made for power scaling.
Last edited by ikey_ at Sep 5, 2011,
I have a gt-10 for my headphone use and im pretty happy with that.. but i still need an amp for the times im not at the apartment.. which is mostly at my workplace.. but im still concerned, if i bring it out .. will the salty water and the hot temperature wreck or damage the amp in anyway ?
again i dont care what your master volume is like, chances are without the right power scaling, the akmp wont sound the same. might sound good, but it wont sound the same. thats almost a fact with the exception of very high end,well made amps.

and yeah,the only amps your going to get true tube breakup at bedroom levels are 1-5 watt tube amps. ONLY. if your starting to voerdrive a 10+ watt tube amp, you clearly have a decent sized yard or a well insulated basement.

about the amps:

notreally a fan of the tiny terrors. in fact im not really a fan or orange besidesmaybe the higher end ones. i think the dark terror is border line garbage.

vox lil night train is AMAZING. if i had the money i would literally overnight one right now for strictly bedroom blues playing. due to its lack or headroom its nto that great for much else. i mean too much gain and it will start to clip. but it can get really nasty, mean blues easy.
i know this may sound like a truly stupid question.. what happens if i want to play clean loudlyy?? will it just distort/break up ? a lot of my playing is very clean-oriented and with the gt10 i can just change the settings but what happens to a tube amp?

and can i please have some answers for my salty air and hot temp questions sorry if i ask too many questions
Quote by gregs1020
egnater 15 watt tweaker.

does everything you want and can handle different types of pairs of power tubes for some fun down the road if you want.

Bada bing!!! Really though 15w or 150w both are gonna be loud.......The password is "master volume"
The more wattage you have, the louder you can turn up and stay clean.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well let's see.. so far ive narrowed my choice down to 5w - 15w amps..
and we have

Tweaker
Tiny terror (can be switched 15w/7w)
Blackstar HT5c
Marshall class 5 ?

Its going to be hard for me to try them but out of those 4 which one would have the better cleans and break ups ?

And i dont want a head/cab.. its a bitch to carry and it wont fit my room
5 watter WILL stay clean loud enough to piss off your neighbors (apartment). if you have higher output pups, you will get some grit. but if you have normal pickpus and us your volume knob it should be no issue.

a 2 watter like the night train? will be clean but dirty blues clean. i like that. but it wont be crystal clean.

another thing, things like the tweaker with the ability to use different tubes is huge. yeah, tubes are a bit pricey, but they do change tone and they DO affect headroom aka clean tone.

have you ever seen setups like the lil night train? tiny. these heads are small. get a 1x12, 2x10 or 2x12 and set it up vertically and its not much space. nobosy is telling you to get a 4x12.

besides, my combo weighs about 50 pounds. not a big deal, but still a mother to go up and down stairs with. it would be great to carry a 10 pound head and a 25 pound cab.
The Tweaker, out of those.

Head/cab setups are WAY easier to transport combos.

Cleans and breakup are kind of two sides of the same coin - at the volume levels you're dealing with, you aren't likely to get both. I have a 5W tube amp, and cranking it for poweramp distortion, its ****in LOUD.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 6, 2011,
why is a head and cab easier to carry around ?? isnt there two things to carry rather than one?... Not saying im superman or anything.. huh.. i guess ill check them out and let you guys know if i decide to buy any...

Cheers for the help guys.. and can i please just get 1 answer regarding the salty and hot conditions of my workplace ?? that would be the most awesome thing
Personally, I would go the modeling route.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
^exactly BUT....do what makes you happy

i have brought a solid state amp and a guitar out to sea with me while i was in the navy and the sea air did absolutely nothing to either one. with a tube amp i really cant imagine much going devastatingly wrong with it besides oxidization in the tube sockets. so look for some Detoxit at your local electronics store. you should also check it for moisture depending on humidity/heat and where it will be kept.

anyone else have any ideas on this? thats the best i can think of.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Page 1 of 2