'Evenin all.

Today I got an early birthday present - a small bass practice amp. (My laney is far too loud/big for my flat ...)

Now I've been noodling a little, and it's ok. Not great, but it only cost £60, so I've no reason to moan. However, there is a minor issue that I've found.

See, when I'm on my own, (i.e. not jamming with others) I love to noodle around with distortion on. With the high C as well, I can pretty much do what I like. However, as is normal, this amp has two inputs: high and low. Now, in the low jack, it's fine - I can play quietly, or loud, whatever. But my distortion kinda loses it's oomph.

On the high jack it sounds awesome, but if I play clean, it can't handle it at all. (Distorts if I play 12th fret E, for example). I refuse to flatline all the settings on either my amp or bass, so basically have to switch inputs depending on whether I want clean or distorted.

The pedal I'm using is the Marshall GV-2, a pedal that I love the sound of, and at loud volumes, is brilliant - but, at low levels, just doesn't really do much. Like most bassists, have been looking longingly at the Boss ODB-3, and if I get any money for my birthday, may be tempted to snag one second hand off t'ebay - but I wanted to know (from people that have it) whether or not I'd have the same problem still, or whether it would still work at low levels on the low input.

(I would put a 'TL;DR' bit here, but I've found from my time here that people in the bass forum have a slightly longer attention span than some other forums..!)
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
the problem will resist if you get a new pedal, because when you're playing clean, the distortion pedal is bypassed, so it doesn't do anything at all. The only thing you can do is to cut off a little of the volume from the bass. Then you can compensate this by adding a little gain on the distortion if you want to. Unfortunately you cannot compensate for the gain loss you will get on the clean channel, because then things will get messy again.
I thought as much. Was just wondering if the Boss had any more 'oomph' at lower levels. I'll try fiddling with the volume on the bass itself.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.