Hey UG!

Okay. So I was just skimming through the forums and I see all these people working on project guitars and customizing guitars. They almost always come out looking awesome. I don't know much about building guitars but I was wondering, What would be a good way for me to get into gear building and customizing guitars? It definitely looks like a fun and cool process even though it can take a while. Thanks!
PSN - Boosted928
see the link in my sig before the orange date, click it. that was my starting point.

i took a guitar i liked, in this case the john mayer signature black1 guitar, and bought new parts for an old guitar to do it up inspired by the black1

sadly the final thing wasn't perfect so i'm currently waiting/saving up for a new body (prob gonna buy a £50 second hand squier from cash converters) but otherwise i think (and others do) it looks nice and the pickups actually sound really sexy.

so yeh that's my advice for a starter project, find a guitar you like or something you'd like the idea of, and buy the parts needed, then put it all together but TAKE YOUR TIME! that's the number one rule. trust me xD
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
see the link in my sig before the orange date, click it. that was my starting point.

i took a guitar i liked, in this case the john mayer signature black1 guitar, and bought new parts for an old guitar to do it up inspired by the black1

sadly the final thing wasn't perfect so i'm currently waiting/saving up for a new body (prob gonna buy a £50 second hand squier from cash converters) but otherwise i think (and others do) it looks nice and the pickups actually sound really sexy.

so yeh that's my advice for a starter project, find a guitar you like or something you'd like the idea of, and buy the parts needed, then put it all together but TAKE YOUR TIME! that's the number one rule. trust me xD

Awesome It looks pretty good in the pics btw. But I've always wanted an Ibanez JEM. I loved the way they looked.

So if I could get a pre-made neck, a pre-made JEM body (not paint, keeping the wood look ), the lo-pro edge tremolo to go with it, You're saying I should go off on a limb and try it?

To be honest I'm kinda nervous about things like the truss rod and that sort of stuff because I haven't the slightest clue of what to expect.
PSN - Boosted928
yeh.

do your research first, but yeh you could do that.

also why use a lo-pro why not get an OFR or something better? and if the neck and body fit (there's loads of different size heels and screw configs etc) then the truss rod adjustment shouldn't be an issue. there's loads of pdf files online that will go through the whole set-up pricess with you.
all you're gonna need to do is decide which pickups to get :P
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
yeh.

do your research first, but yeh you could do that.

also why use a lo-pro why not get an OFR or something better? and if the neck and body fit (there's loads of different size heels and screw configs etc) then the truss rod adjustment shouldn't be an issue. there's loads of pdf files online that will go through the whole set-up pricess with you.
all you're gonna need to do is decide which pickups to get :P

I'm planning on doing alot of research. I'm gonna start saving up for this whole project now

I'm just gonna need a little help from the UG community when the time comes haha :]

Well the body I was looking at was mahogany and had all the holes. I was envisioning that with gold hardware. Sorta like your Black1. But it was routed for Edge or Lo-Pro Edge Trems. Plus I've searched lo-pros on the forum and there are some people who would swear by them as the best FR ever.

Oh jesus. I can't decide on the pickups O-O I'd like to move away from EMG's and I don't think they would fit anyways. The stock ones in my Sterling Musicman sound great for blues. Idk. Maybe I'll try DiMarzio's or Seymour Duncan's. I've heard good things about both of those brands.

Btw, Does it matter if it's a "replacement body"?
PSN - Boosted928
I started with an Ebay project archtop guitar, a copy of "Guitar Player Repair Guide", and a few tools including a soldering iron.
Start simple, don't begin with a three pickup, five way switch wiring monster. Practice soldering, and learn how to read a wiring diagram.
The book will teach you how to setup and trouble shoot a build. There are other books available for other building subjects.
If you like to learn, are patient, have a desk or a place to work, and have access to a few tools, go for it.
If you get angry fast, are hypercritical, throw tools, don't even try to build a guitar.
And remember your fifth build will be way better than your first one, so think long term. Do you want to spent the time on the education, practice, do overs, etc. it takes to build a guitar you will be proud of? Good luck.