Page 1 of 2
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44349210/ns/today-today_pets_and_animals/#.TmT7KmpBq25

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A 22-year-old Alaska woman said on Wednesday she punched a black bear in the face to save her small dog from being carried off and possibly eaten.

Juneau resident Brooke Collins said she hit the bear Sunday night to save the life of her dachshund, Fudge. She said she discovered the bear crouched down, clutching Fudge in its paws and biting the back of the dog's neck.

"It had her kind of like when they eat salmon," Collins said Wednesday. "I was freaking out. I was screaming at it. My dog was screaming. I ran up to it ... I just punched it right in the snout and it let go."

Collins said her boyfriend then scared the bear away. "I think it was more startled than anything," she said.

Collins, a hairdresser who has lived in Juneau most of her life, said she is accustomed to bears and knows how to take precautions around them.

She also knew about this particular bear before Sunday's attack because it has been hanging around the neighborhood.

In this case, however, Fudge darted out the door before anyone checked the vicinity, she said.

The dog, an older female, was not seriously hurt in the attack, but Collins said she is tending to the animal's wounds and keeping her inside for now. Collins said she is also taking other precautions with her second dog.

Black bears frequently roam the downtown section of Alaska's capital city, which rests against a steep mountain slope and is surrounded by a dense rain forest.

Bear encounters are on the rise this year, despite efforts by local residents to lock away garbage and remove items that might attract the animals, said Neil Barton, a Juneau-based biologist for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

"This year, I think, is a lot worse than last year. I would attribute that to lack of a berry crop," Barten said.

Production of berries around Juneau has been poor this summer, removing a key food source from the bears' diets.

"If they are not available, the bears look for other sources of food," he said.

Bears and dogs sometimes snarl at each other, but actual attacks on dogs are unusual, he said.

Collins said her dog Fudge has chased bears but never been attacked before.

The black bear she punched returned Tuesday, she said, because it was a trash pick-up day.

Alaskans apparently really do just go around and show nature who's boss.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
They still don't know that North Korea is da enemy though.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Fuck that shit, I'd let the bear have my dog no questions asked. It could have my mother between its jaws and I'm not going to stroll up to physically confront it.
old news
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by RU Experienced?
**** that shit, I'd let the bear have my dog no questions asked. It could have my mother between its jaws and I'm not going to walk up to physically confront it.

Is that because you are an (antisocial) weenie?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
(not Palin)

Omg
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
well yeah, it was a black bear. those things are chumps. black bears significantly outnumber brown bears in the US, and so there are many more black bear attacks than brown bear attacks, and yet even with the lower number of attacks, brown bears still kill more people in America than black bears. if it had been a Kodiak bear (brown bear subspecies native to Alaska, which is the largest brown bear subspecies, though still smaller than the polar bear), it wouldn't have taken that shit, and it would have beaten her the way Eric_Fail would have.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
well yeah, it was a black bear. those things are chumps. black bears significantly outnumber brown bears in the US, and so there are many more black bear attacks than brown bear attacks, and yet even with the lower number of attacks, brown bears still kill more people in America than black bears. if it had been a Kodiak bear (brown bear subspecies native to Alaska, which is the largest brown bear subspecies, though still smaller than the polar bear), it wouldn't have taken that shit, and it would have beaten her the way Eric_Fail would have.

well yeah, they are different species, whats yer point? or are you just showin off your awesome bear knowledge

also to the last sentence:
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Iwrestledabearonce
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by RU Experienced?
Fuck that shit, I'd let the bear have my dog no questions asked. It could have my mother between its jaws and I'm not going to stroll up to physically confront it.

I love my dogs too much to let that happen. If anything, throw rocks at it but I don't think the type of bear mentioned in the article is bigger than a german shepard.
Black bears frequently roam the downtown section of Alaska's capital city, which rests against a steep mountain slope and is surrounded by a dense rain forest.

Am I the only one who caught this?

Alaska is obviously tropical as ****.
Bass is my life.
Quote by metaldud536
I love my dogs too much to let that happen. If anything, throw rocks at it but I don't think the type of bear mentioned in the article is bigger than a german shepard.

I wouldn't mess with a german shepard either, I watch Cops, I know what those things are capable of!
Quote by JimmyBanks6
well yeah, they are different species, whats yer point? or are you just showin off your awesome bear knowledge

also to the last sentence:

i'm just trying to kind of take the piss out of it by making a joke about how brown bears are much more dangerous and so the feat is obviously not impressive; it's like if you only got 2nd in a nation-wide contest. i mean, she only punched a black bear.

but... for size comparison:

first is a well known Kodiak, Bart (he was in some movies), with his trainer, the second is a 6' tall man and a black bear (and two Sasquatches, it was the best picture i could find for comparison -_-), and the third compares the smallest subspecies of brown bear, the grizzly bear, with a black bear.

and if i wanted to show off my bear knowledge, i would have referred to them as U. americana, U. arctos, and U. maritimus. though i don't remember the subspecies name of the Kodiak bear off the top of my head.

i think i watch to many documentaries on large mammals for my own good.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by MakinLattes
Pfft, one of my elementary school teachers wrestled a bear.

but you will never wrestle a deer
Quote by Greenday389
Am I the only one who caught this?

Alaska is obviously tropical as ****.

Yes, because rainforests are always tropical.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by RU Experienced?
I wouldn't mess with a german shepard either, I watch Cops, I know what those things are capable of!

Well then you really are a weenie!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by Neo Evil11

Yes, because rainforests are always tropical.

Quote by Wikipedia
Whilst most rainforests aren't considered anti-climatic, they are all in fact tropical. Many rainforests found in the middle east are also considered to be larger than the Seven Seas[6]. Many people also believe the Yalikh god Raltos also made love with a mushroom during the silver ages whilst the golden war was being taken place with a giraffe and three primates[7].

Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Whilst most rainforests aren't considered anti-climatic, they are all in fact tropical. Many rainforests found in the middle east are also considered to be larger than the Seven Seas[6]. Many people also believe the Yalikh god Raltos also made love with a mushroom during the silver ages whilst the golden war was being taken place with a giraffe and three primates[7].

wat

The dog chases bears. What do you expect?
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Talk about a kodiak moment.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
i though this thread was about Bear Grylls.....
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
I beat off a bear once.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I was a bear once.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by Jackal58
I beat off a bear once.

Quote by RubberPuppiessu
I was a bear once.

Get a room, guys...
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Get a room, guys...

17B. We're waiting for you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
^I do think most rainforests are tropical though. I don't know where the hell he got that quote from though, especially that last part
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
^I do think most rainforests are tropical though. I don't know where the hell he got that quote from though, especially that last part

Indeed, I hope he was not serious.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I can't find where he would have gotten it, I looked up rainforest and tropical rainforest and there wasn't anything like that.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Page 1 of 2