So my band decided that we are going to play the song "you really got me". Im going to improvise a solo over the key changes (A-B-E).
I tried to use min pentatonic over it (switching key for each chord). This sounds pretty stupid and repitetive i think. I tried playing dom 7 arpeggios, and it sounded a little better, but hard to come up whit something cool. Shuld i use thedorian mode? Please help
Key looks to be Amajor with a major II chord, so Dorian would work. But remember that you're not truly playing "modally". Amajor Pentatonic is good as well.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by turtlewax at Sep 5, 2011,
You're changing key every time you play over a new chord?? Why?
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Well you can do that, it's just not the best way.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
The point of having chord degrees is so you don't have to change key when you're playing with the chords...
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

No, but if you want to change key with the chords and it sounds good...you may as well go for it. Especially if the chord progression changes slowly.

You can do what you want...you could play entirely out of key if you wanted a really dissonant sound.
Last edited by turtlewax at Sep 5, 2011,
Yes, but I don't think the poster quite knows what's going on, that's why I asked HIM.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Chill out dude, I wasn't attacking you...you just seemed a bit snappy. Is it that time of the month again?
Chord change =/= Key change. Every chord belongs to a key which follows a particular scale.
Hey here's an idea- assume everything you read on the internet is in a neutral tone like I do and you life will be much better.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Yeah, you can hear the "mood" of a scale changing over each chord.
Hey here's an idea- assume everything you read on the internet is in a neutral tone like I do and you life will be much better.

Ok, agreed. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
what is this talk about dorian? the kinks have never played anything remotely close to modal music. so get that out of your head. and as for soloing tips for playing over the song? the songs in a minor, so solo in a minor. the song is really only a few power chords, so playing the full diatonic scale might sound overboard due to the maj2nd and min6th. So get rid of those and play the pentatonic. Exaggerate bends and vibrato all around the neck.
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
Quote by Usernames sucks
So my band decided that we are going to play the song "you really got me". Im going to improvise a solo over the key changes (A-B-E).
I tried to use min pentatonic over it (switching key for each chord). This sounds pretty stupid and repitetive i think. I tried playing dom 7 arpeggios, and it sounded a little better, but hard to come up whit something cool. Shuld i use thedorian mode? Please help

well the solo sectioin in both versions of the song (kinks and VH) just stays in A for the whole section. Just G A A G A.... vamp. I suggest doing this and using A minor pent and/or A minor blues. Learning those solos for reference wouldn't be a bad idea either.

If you want to do something different arrangement wise by actually soloing over an entire verse/chorus, I would suggest taking a cue from the melody and change scales as it does:

A minor pent
B minor pent
E minor pent
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 5, 2011,
Quote by Usernames sucks

Beginner question... B shouldn't be minor to be in the key of A?

Thanks

Juan