When I strum my acoustic guitar it sounds awful I use a pick (am guessing its thin and not heavy). It sounds ok when im picking notes. It just doesnt sound right. Does anyone know what will make this better? i.e Diffrent pick's, diffrent strings? or just some strumming excercises? Thanks in advance
Nah its not that ive check it a few times and its in tune. I cant explain what it does It like vibrates loads after strumming it and it doesnt sound like any of my mates whn they are playing
If its just awefull tone, it is most probably just old strings. Strings can get dirty and worn and if you have them on for more than a year (at max) they can start to sound dodgy. I normally change my strings every 2-3 months.

If its a buzzing noise your guitars action is too low, and unless you know what you're doing, I suggest you take it to your local guitar shop and get it fixed. This can also be caused by downtuning the guitar meaning the strings are loose and they rattle against the frets.

It could be that your nut has worn down but I doubt that you've splashed out on a bone one. And if have a plastic one you deserve a medal for wearing it down that much .

Or it could be out of tune. You can find guitar tuning websites online.

EDIT: I keep on changing if its a low or high action as I get massively confused which one it is. Just checked and its a low action .
Fuck the system - Use non-standard tunings!

"Now the guitar is no more than a cowbell, so easy to play, that there is no stable lad who is not a musician on the guitar" Inquisitor Covarrubias 1611
Last edited by Fuzzywhynotry at Sep 5, 2011,
After reading your other comment it is highly likely too low an action. Its not a major job, so don't worry. Its just a little turn of the truss rod in the neck.

"Now the guitar is no more than a cowbell, so easy to play, that there is no stable lad who is not a musician on the guitar" Inquisitor Covarrubias 1611
That comment was a bit of a misinformation, sorry. Its a pretty common misconception but I was wrong. If you're action is too low you need to change the saddle (the (normally) white bit near where you put the strings in) and this is a bit more of an effort.

But it could be a too straight a neck, which involves the truss rod. On the G string push the first and the fourteenth fret down. Look about halfway between the two frets and you should see a gap. If you don't its too straight a neck, which means that the strings could be buzzing against the neck.

Just found this semi helpful article on how to: http://users.powernet.co.uk/guitars/setup5.htm

But I would recommend you get this done by someone.

If you're still determined to do it your self, I suggest you read ALL of this. Changing a truss rod doesn't change one thing, it changes many. It is part of a complete guitar set up.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

Could also be a case of too light a string gauge. *IF* the guitar was set-up/.engineered for ...say... 0.12 and ya put ultra- lite .09's on it...prolly gonna get string slap.
BTDT!
LOL