I'd like to make a decent recording of my band's gigs. And I'd really like to use my Boss BR1600CD to record on. We recorded our demo's on it and they were really good quality. But we D'id everything and didn't use amps for the demo's. A gig will be very different.
As a rule, only the lead vocals, backing vocals and bass drum go through the PA. The guitar and bass just go through the amps.
Could you advise me of the best way to get a good recording. If possible I'd like to record everything seperately, but I realise that is almost impossible. Could I use a patch bay and connect from the Peavey PV10 mixer into the patch bay and out of the patch bay into the the Boss BR1600, or should I just record it onto 2 tracks? Is a patch bay used like that? lol
As you may be able to tell, I've not attempted anything like this before! lol
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Why is recording everything separately impossible? The Boss BR1600 can record 8 tracks simultaneously.

Use 2 for the PA, one for guitar, one for bass and a couple for drums - assuming you only have one guitar, that still leaves 2 spare inputs.

I'd recommend that when you record the gig you don't put the bass drum through the PA, it will restrict what you can do with the vocals when you do the final mix.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Sep 5, 2011,
Quote by GaryBillington
Why is recording everything separately impossible? The Boss BR1600 can record 8 tracks simultaneously.

Use 2 for the PA, one for guitar, one for bass and a couple for drums - assuming you only have one guitar, that still leaves 2 spare inputs.

I'd recommend that when you record the gig you don't put the bass drum through the PA, it will restrict what you can do with the vocals when you do the final mix.

Thanks Gary, you know I never even thought of just using 2 for the PA and recording the bass and guitar straight in, Doh! lol Both amps have a line out just for that purpose! The drums can be recorded with overheads. Thank god for this forum! lol cheers again.
You could even point an extra mic at the crowd so when you mix the final version you can make them as loud as you like - people will think you were playing at a huge stadium!!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
You could even point an extra mic at the crowd so when you mix the final version you can make them as loud as you like - people will think you were playing at a huge stadium!!

that might be a good idea! lol Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. Cheers.